Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 3:52 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 8th Feb 2020 at 8:46 AM.
Default Rate My Sim!
Was thinking just now that I've never seen a thread where feedback on each others' Sims is expected and appreciated. I mean I don't know about you guys but I'm into the constructive criticism thing, and making the best and most diverse pool of Sims is a major creative challenge for me.

I think it could be fun if we can post pictures of our latest new Sims here and give each other comments about them. Not as creators' feedback but just to compare preferences and strengths.
Edit: if you're into actual feedback that is, it's not a show and tell sort of thing.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 6:39 AM
I think posts to showcase different Sims and the diversity possible would be interesting to see. I am not a fan of "rating" per se as things like that can turn into popularity contest types of things and cause hurt feelings. And we each make Sims to our own tastes and everyone's tastes as to what they like and do not like vary. So a post and comments such as I really like how you did the shape of those eyes, or whatever, I think is good. But to say your Sim is a 5 out of 10, or make the nose wider, or whatever, are not my cup of tea posts, as they say,

So showcase yes, but pick apart other's Sim creations unless someone specifically asks for that kind of critique, I am not a fan of that.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:52 AM
Then don't post here if you're not interested in actual advice

Anyway, here's two of mine that I'm not sure look good enough. Thoughts on the facial structure? Choice of outfit? Does this look dumb to you?

I'm really running out of things to put my Sims in. Men are easier, I can have 10 guys wearing the same basic thing and nobody will bat an eyelid. But only a small subset of women can get away with that.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:28 AM
As you want this, I am not a fan of the sweater(sweat top) colors and patterns with the bra top on the blond. But just my taste. And if it is warm enough to wear the bra top that type of jacket usually is not worn. I see summer looks of white shorts and bra/swim top and a ski/Western look of the other. If she is heading to a bonfire on the beach for example and needs something for when chilly later I do not think most ladies would grab that from their closet. Otherwise, I like them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:34 AM
My taste is that it's basically March in basically New England, and that the only reason this girl is dressed like this is because I'm an idiot. I wish those were shorts but no, they go all the way down to the ankle. I'm thinking the pants could stay if they're linen, though I certainly don't agree with the colour, and I can stick some sort of blue blazer over it with a grey or a red shirt underneath.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:36 AM
I have lived in New England and generally March is way too cold for that. Other than the jacket I like all. If the jacket was a solid color I think it would work better. They are nice
looking Sims.

Do not know about there but here the coast is often very windy and cold at night. So I can see being dressed for warmer day temps and have something to put on later. And in the summer. :D

edit: shirt and jacket would work much better with slacks depending on where she is and what she is doing, so yes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:41 AM
I barely know what March is like in my own area, to be fair. Is this a New England in March type of outfit?

And did I overdo it up top? I'm thinking the earrings and the bangs and the scarf thing is too much. The denim, that's non-negotiable.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:47 AM Last edited by daisylee : 8th Feb 2020 at 9:01 AM.
March can be really all over the place. It may still be snowing and cold weather clothes are needed, or there may be sunny and warmer days. I like the jeans. I would do a solid denim color top as less busy. And bleach blond, bandana, hoop earrings is not very New England ish. NE is pretty conservative overall as far as clothes go. There are all the usual boho, goth, everything folks, but Jane average, if that is who she supposed to be, dress more simply most of the time. So it all depends on who she is supposed to be.

https://weatherspark.com/m/26197/3/...s-United-States

Still some snow usually and getting warmer but still pretty chilly. Just heading to spring.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm really in to alien/human hybrids right now. They look like some sort of messed up Legolas.

LOL we want to see some of those!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 10:00 AM
I wish I had that luxury, but since I'm stubbornly sticking to that '80s theme I have to consider shape as well as colour and texture. Baggy and top-heavy outfits are very hard to come by, and the chance of a randomly generated outfit already matching what I'm looking for is basically nil. I tend to use pieces that are high-waisted, that emphasize the shoulders, that are loose and have layers to them. A lot of the CAS content doesn't have a great shape. It's too narrow and form-fitting. I'm not in the right era for that. I can't use most T-shirts and most vests for example. They're just not loose enough, and if I want to use something like a tank top I'll need to put a blazer over it.

I do have a neat little Shoulder Width slider so for a lot of Sims, I'll just stretch that shit out until they look like they're about to lure Captain Picard into a trap.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#14 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 3:57 PM Last edited by lakme : 8th Feb 2020 at 4:30 PM.
I'm trying to make a Korean-American Sim and made some modifications to one I found on the Exchange using an actor in a Korean drama as a reference. I've always really struggled with Asian Sims.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 4:30 PM
I'm way too organized, but perhaps this should belong in The Sims 3 Picture section, no?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 6:53 PM
I love the look of yours, @Wojtek, they're realistic but still look great within the confines of the game. And ever since you sent me those households I've been using yours, too. I haven't kept track of who made who but I know the Wozniaks, predictably, were yours and I do like having them around.

And I think he looks good @lakme, I really struggle with Asians too and that's a shame, because I'd like to have more. But your guy looks Asian to me and more importantly, he looks Korean. I think I'd tweak his ears though, not sure why but I think that's what I'd do.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 11:21 PM
Well I don't have any, but I noticed you named your alien hybrid Aileen. Cheeky bastard. Clearly, the only way forward is to only use occults you can come up with a stupid name for. I do it loads. Just yesterday I made over a very lengthy man called Richard. Those close to him call him Tall Rick, those closer to him call him Big Dick.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
My sims never look perfect and this is something I like most. They're all born in game, so no facial editing is involved. ......

She looks like she is saying if you tell them my age I will have to kill you! LOL

And nitromon, I like your hybrids.

And Pi, I have to ask, how is it that you have such an interest in the 80s?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 1:15 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 9th Feb 2020 at 1:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
And Pi, I have to ask, how is it that you have such an interest in the 80s?

Oh, I grew up with a lot of '80s pop culture so it's well inside my comfort zone, basically. My parents stopped being cool sometime during the late '90s so I was exposed to a lot of stuff they could personally vouch for. But with The Sims it's more of a practical thing. I used to spend so much time trying to keep everything in my world looking up to date with new CC and makeovers that I realized it'd just be easier to pick a fixed moment in time that I was familiar with. And besides, literally everyone likes 80s nostalgia so why not? It's easy attention and basically no one else is doing it.

I have to say though, there's a lot of content I wish I had in the game. It's a very long wishlist and I still have to actively look for new content. But once I have it, there's no expiration date on it. And I seem to have a pretty good grasp on what I want and what I don't, because I can immediately tell if something fits in or not. I don't want to create my own John Hughes movie or anything, I'm not crazy about cheesy Schwarzenegger flicks, and I certainly don't feel like repeating tired old clichés but I really love the idea of creating something that looks and feels genuine.

Anyway, this is really off-topic.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 4:57 AM

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
.But with The Sims it's more of a practical thing. I used to spend so much time trying to keep everything in my world looking up to date with new CC and makeovers that I realized it'd just be easier to pick a fixed moment in time that I was familiar with. And besides, literally everyone likes 80s nostalgia so why not? ...

I do not try to do any time period as Sims is Sims and no matter what world we make, how we dress our ones, and where they live, everyone around them will dress however the EA AI dresses them, often awful. The vehicles generated will always be the same. The phones they have the same. And so on. So I just let them live in their crazy nonsensical Sims world as it won't make sense anyway. I did like how in Medieval all was period. That was cool.

As for the 80s I can just say one word, Dynasty! LOL I am sure it played there. Huge hair, huge shoulder pads, and all of the other things. The decade of conspicuous consumption. Nothing subtle then. Lots of flash and bling for those who could afford it.
Page 1 of 2