Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sunset Valley.world with Routing Fixes applied [update 2013.01.17]

by ellacharmed Posted 11th Aug 2011 at 5:56 PM - Updated 6th Dec 2013 at 4:36 AM by ellacharmed : Terrain bleed fix

87 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 53 Feedback Posts, 33 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Aug 2012 at 5:37 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 30th Aug 2012 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Updated files uploaded
Thanks for the notification. Link fixed. It's the same link from the other Sunset Valley thread, I have no idea why it is not showing here. I'm blaming it on the server munchkins.

I also just realized I never uploaded the .world file after I updated the resources, did I?
*mentally reprioritize ToDo list for today...

[ETA]
Right, files updated with the fixes in modthesims.info/d/450599
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Updates!

Gonna let this version "stew" for a while before I update the .world thread, just in case I need to make corrections.
It "stewed" longer than I intended. Must be well-cooked by now! I apologize for the delay - derailed by an unexpected GPU issue that had to be RMA'd, and totally forgot about this.
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 17th Sep 2012 at 3:46 PM
This mod seems to have fixed the issues I had, but I'll keep playing it to know for sure.

One issue though is that I'm now getting grass appearing above roads in certain areas. I know this generally happens if you don't use that tool in CAW, can't remember its name, in order to ensure that roads display correctly. But no one else has mentioned this issue so I'm wondering if it's something that I have done wrong maybe?

I am using the latest version of the game and Supernatural. Could that be why? I'm not sure.

Like my pics? Check out my site dedicated to glorious snapshots from The Sims 3!
http://simsonfilm.thesimshub.com
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 4:17 AM
The grass thing in my other fixes was because I had done some road and terrain re-grading. I learned my lesson and did not do that anymore, not since Twinbrook's fixes.

But then, that issue is also dependent on high or low settings on supported vs unsupported GPUs, as not everyone experienced it.

If you tell me where the spot where you see this is at, I can take a look if I get this same issue. An image pinpointing the area is also helpful.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 12:21 PM
Hey, took some screenshots for you. I think this is all of the places with the issue. Went flying around the hood with the camera for you :P

All settings on max on a 512MB ATI 4850 HD which I believe is supported.

Like my pics? Check out my site dedicated to glorious snapshots from The Sims 3!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 1:06 AM
I'm having the same issue as Chris. Other than that SV runs really fast now and it's still playable after many hours, thank you so much.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 4:23 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 19th Sep 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: my findings - issue exist! :(
I'm loading my game to check...
Just out of curiosity, the world version you're both using now, the date-time stamp on the Sunset Vally.world is "30-08-12 21:00" as shown in the image?

[eta]
After knocking my head against the proverbial wall - as something went wrong from my previous test of another mod - renaming files & folders didn't make the error go away. I finally found the little bugger and nuked it. Now, can carry on with this.

I don't know if talking about it makes it happen. But, I'm seeing the same thing now; both with the resources imported and the .world file.
I went back into CAW, reimported the edited resources into a new test.world and it did not happened there. Still scratching my head. Though, I have some ideas on the camera settings and will be experimenting with those.

Stay tuned!

ps: and oh! Thanks for coming forward to let me know.
Does make me wonder if others never get this issue, all this while?
And if not, what's different?

I'm on a AMD Radeon HD 7850 now. Back when I re-did this world's fixes in Apr I had an Nvidia GTX 460 (and this didn't show up then).
chris_damon also has an AMD. What GPU card do you have, Vashi?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 11:59 AM
Yeah the date is the same as the one you posted.

And no problem. It seemed to help all the lag issues I was getting so it's a good fix, just thought I'd bring the other issue to your attention

Would rather have grass appearing over roads than lag anyway lol

In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 12:04 PM
OK, I found the cause.
All those spots you've identified have "Lot/Road tears" which were already present in the original world. But they were unnoticeable until you zoom in real close. Somehow, editing the world make it more pronounced.

The images attached are on Camera Settings 1 (left most) in CAW with the exact same resources imported (from the fixes thread), exported as a Sim3Pack and installed as a custom world. But, on this settings, the "terrain-bleed" does not occur, just the tears are manifested.

On Camera Settings 2 (default in CAW), the terrain-bleed shows up, and the Lot/Road tears are less pronounced, as they are mainly obscured by the bleed.

My tests worlds for the other 4 camera settings got messed up and have to be redone.
Nothing else was changed, just the camera settings. I just have to find the balance. And perhaps do the Delete Lot/Undo trick too.
Screenshots
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#34 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 7:47 PM
Yeah, exactly "30-08-12 21:00"
I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+, but I'm getting a new one soon because this one is dying already so I couldn't tell you if it was just me and my agonizing card or something else haha. I'm glad you found a way to fix it though and I shall be waiting for an update hopefully, but like Chris said, I'm already really thankful because your fix is really helpful.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#35 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 6:12 PM
::nab::
Test Subject
#36 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 7:02 AM
I recently just got back into the Sims 3 again after finding about the upcoming release of seasons. Unfortunately, I was having issues with the game constantly freezing periodically every few minutes. I just want to say that this fix (as well as the addition of some other additional mods and small tweaks) has greatly improved my gaming experience now where I am no longer banging my head against my desk every 5 minutes.

While I am very grateful for your very hard work, I am having the same issue as Chris and Vashi with terrain in certain spots bleeding into roads. While its slightly annoying and certainly not appealing, it's not game breaking (unlike the freezing I encountered before). So I am just wondering if you could give an ETA on a new fix, since it seems you have found most of the problem. Thanks again.
Test Subject
#37 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 1:22 PM
I'm having the same issue as Chris too, and there are some more places to fix like this. Found one near the Diner, if I replace the Oasis with a 20x30 sized lot. Hope those could be fixed.
I also have some problems to place lots on places like the restaurant, and the library, maybe others.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 10th Oct 2012 at 11:14 AM
Sorry, guys. Hit a snag.
The usual way I imported the resources over does not retain my changes in the .world file. Only if I do an Export in CAW do the terrain-bleed disappear in the Launcher-installed-version-of-Sunset-Valley.

Now that I'm back and feeling better (I went on an unexpected sojourn mid Sept and then fell sick upon my return this past weekend), I can test if SuperCAW makes a difference. Or, it may just be that I haven't found the correct resources to import. I have to investigate further.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#39 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 4:48 AM
I want to use this and the other ones you have but am not that computer savy and wondering how do I open the files. I tried using WinZIP and it says I need another file but don't know how to add it. I am sorry if this was asked but I am so lost.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 2:47 PM
You need to rename the files after you download all of them.
Full instructions in the How to install? section, where the Wiki links have a step-by-step with pictures.
Test Subject
#41 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 3:58 PM
Hi, ellacharmed. Thanks for doing this!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my save games to use it (which doesn't make sense to me at all). I've definitely replaced it correctly, because starting a new game with Sunset Valley shows the fixes (I compare it with the screenshot you showed: there are white lines on the new game, but not the previous saves). I also cleared all the cache files in the Documents folder.

One would immediately think this must mean my saves are using a different Sunset Valley world, but I have checked and confirmed they aren't. They were began with the original. This is what really confuses me. They are definitely using the modified version, but the changes just aren't showing up in the world.

Am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps is there an issue since 1.42? This is the first version I've tried this fix on.

All I can assume is the save file (maybe the 'nhd') is using its own files instead of the fixed world? I noticed the nhd file in the save folder has all the files listed in your FixedRouting.zip file, so is it ignoring the changes somehow? I did try to replace them in the save file just to check, but this totally corrupted my save, so I reverted that and I am just having to put up with the lag and bad routing from the original. Maybe – if replacing anything in the save would help at all – I need to replace only certain files? I don't know which, though.

If you could give any advice, I'd really appreciate it. I really hope to get the fixed version working because I do suffer from quite a lot of routing lag, and I've put too much time into my save to start a new Sunset Valley.

Thanks very much!
Test Subject
#42 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 10:25 PM
I am having the same issue as Maeldor. What occurred to me is that maybe Seasons altered the world files in some way. I tried twice to get it to work but it doesn't.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 9:47 AM
The fixes have been uploaded in Sunset Valley.rar. The resources themselves are forthcoming in the Resource thread.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 3:44 PM
Just a note, on my system the world file directory branch is not under "Electronic Arts", it's under "Origin Games".

In case anybody else is having trouble finding that...
Test Subject
#45 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 11:23 AM
Not sure if it is reported already, but I found one of those "terrain-bleeding" at the Old Pier Beach on the side near the road.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 3:22 PM
@freddie3269,
more info would have been nice. Which Lot specifically? An image to show what you're seeing is even better. I zoomed in and out of the beach area and don't get anything.
Are you using the updated file dated Jan 2013 or the older version?
Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 11:13 PM Last edited by freddie3269 : 2nd Apr 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Please see the attached image.

The issue occurred in the lot "Old Pier Beach" on the edge near the road. Not sure if it was this "Terrain-bleed" you spoke of. Sorry if I used the wrong term.

I am pretty certain its the latest version as I downloaded it only 2 days ago, but if it doesn't appear at your side, maybe I didn't install it correctly?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 4:08 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 3rd Apr 2013 at 5:02 AM. Reason: investigation results
Thanks for the image. I'll go check it out.

[ETA]
OK, the Lot-tear is there.
And it's gonna need more time than I have right now to fix it. I'll do it on the weekend.

Are the Sims getting stuck or route-flailing on your game (and everyone else's), when they try to get to this Lot and the beach? That would also determine the seriousness of the issue that needs fixing or if it is an acceptable "flaw".

This particular Lot-tear does not create any routing issues or terrain-bleeds however. At least on my machine. Sims can get onto the Lot and beach just fine. Which is why my testing did not alert me onto any Stuck Sims. I'm tempted to just leave it be, because fixing Lot-tears on one Lot would cause it on another...as the world terrain (the height map) is one mesh. As clearly, this particular tear appears after the one on the opposite side of the road - the Ursine Lot - was fixed. We'll see what happens when I do the actual fixing on the weekend.

As for the glossary:
Lot-tear : is the occurrence of what you show there on your image, where the two terrains don't meet and not aligned flush with each other. The result is the foot-stomping and route-flailing when Sims cannot move from the world terrain to the Lot or vice versa.

Terrain-bleed : is the result of a Lot-tear, where the terrain would bleed through onto the Lot or Road or whatever. The result is just an eye-sore. And frustration for Storytellers, picture-takers and movie-makers.
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:16 PM
Well I followed the instructions but all I got was a CTD everytime i tried to load Sunset Valley so I ended up having to restore the previous version.
Test Subject
#50 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 11:18 PM
does this make the terrain by the military base routable? i was trying to make this a rural area and couldn't place any lots
Page 2 of 4