Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 10:29 PM Last edited by HCAC : 19th Jun 2021 at 7:54 PM.
Default In Game Items You Hate...
I simply cannot stand the Old Timey TV. Something about that item triggers me. The tvs are bad enough that come with the game and EPs but that TV gets me so annoyed. Whether it's because it's bulky and ugly or something out of 1945 I don't know. I find the electronics very frustrating strange in Sims 3 but yeah that tv..

Anyone else have item(s) they cannot stand?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#3 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 10:40 PM
Ehh, there's very little in-game that truly annoys me. Compared to the low poly, low res models and textures of TS4, most of the items in TS3 look quite nice to me even to this day. Plus I like variety, especially for low income households, but that's just me.

What I tend to get annoyed by more than anything are the plants and trees. The shading on some of them is just horrible nowadays and can really destroy the look of a lot, even on high settings.

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
And I don't get the creators' choice of color. I mean, in University, every house is some moldy ugly brown and mucus green. I had to literally fix up every single house.

Heh, I actually always thought that was fairly realistic for the University theme. In real life, unless it's an ivy league school, the surrounding area tends to be kind of samey. Houses like that are built cheaply with the assumption that multiple people are living there, so they don't really ever look all that glamorous in many cases.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 11:16 PM
I hate the plants. More specifically the hanging plants. So many custom house creators spam that around their lots.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#6 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 12:52 AM
^ Don't forget the stereos. I finally got tired of the waking up at 3:00AM to do jumping jacks and squats. Turned that one right off.

Inventor
#7 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 3:41 AM
Rugs annoy me. I know we're supposed to make our own with the basic shapes we're given and the Create-A-Style tool, but I really struggle to make them look good. I wish we had some non-CAStable rugs with amazing designs like in Sims 2 and 3. I'm thinking of converting every Sims 2 rug that hasn't been converted to The Sims 3.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 4:04 AM
I mean, they don't need to look like ITF modern, but still, every house has the same moldy floors, walls, and furnitures.

They are at least better than that one subdivision in Riverview- the one where the houses are named after dogs. Every single house for two blocks has the exact same exterior and most have the exact same interior colors of mustard yellow and orange-brown. I usually just bulldoze the whole subdivision and put in different houses.

I have two: music boxes and wine, er, nectar. Don't get me wrong, music boxes are cute and there are definitely sims I buy them for. But that swaying, hand over heart, with a stupid smile pose Sims do while listening to it drives me nuts. Evil, mean spirited, hates kids? Nope, standing there swaying and looking at the music box like it's the most adorable and precious thing they have ever seen. Then there's the misophonia* nightmare the nectar drinking animations turn to when your sims hits some sort of combination of bottles drunk and nectar making skill that turns every single glass into an overly elaborate wine tasting. Who the @#)(*% gargles and swishes wine while enjoying a glass at home?

[* Misophonia is the intense hatred of a common sound- loud chewing and lip smacking are some of the most common.]
Forum Resident
#9 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Rugs annoy me. I know we're supposed to make our own with the basic shapes we're given and the Create-A-Style tool, but I really struggle to make them look good. I wish we had some non-CAStable rugs with amazing designs like in Sims 2 and 3. I'm thinking of converting every Sims 2 rug that hasn't been converted to The Sims 3.

The bad thing about rugs in particular is that 90% of them lack any texture at all. Completely flat. So if you want any actual depth to them, you have to used patterns like the ribbed carpet patterns.

There have been several CC rugs I've downloaded over the years specifically for this reason. Cmomoney has a nice modern rugs set. And I think I've downloaded one from Peacemaker. His cones with a "rug" texture that's part of the actual rug, so you can use any pattern you like on it.

Scholar
#10 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 10:33 AM Last edited by MurderPrincessK : 12th Jun 2021 at 12:09 PM.
I have tons of rug cc in my game, but the ones I use most in modern design houses are these
https://ohmycc.tumblr.com/tagged/Sims-3-Rugs
The come in lots of colors and 2 sizes each.

Forgot to add what I hate...
This hair. It attaches itself to 20 percent of my sims, even males, and there is no male version of this hair in my game.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:21 AM
I don't like the way spiral staircases are designed in TS3. The round floor cutout they leave on floors is a HUGE turn-off for me. Good thing this existed.

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 1:57 PM
Eh, it's all pretty trivial compared to the mountains of absolute horseshit TS4 serves the player with surely? But I can relate. I appreciate the socio-economic honesty tbh, they did the whole lower middle class thing pretty well in this one. Still, was I glad with every pack that added more contemporary design. The absolute lack of variety sometimes! And yes it's still a little thin even after feeding EA hundreds of money. But I'm sure that I'd take my slightly limited and undeniably dated TS3 catalog over the one in TS4 that has 3x the number of items, but all in basically PS2 quality so your 13 year old cousin can run it on her Chromebook or whatever.

tbh I'm not entirely sure where EA's content ends and the CC begins thanks to the little magic of maxis match CC, but I know their selection of electronics always has me bummed out. And where's my generic, unfrivolous seating? I would like some plain featureless lamps? A basic square table with 4 normal-ass legs? TS4 whacked us in the face with generic IKEA aesthetic furniture right at release. Great, no need to worry about that again. meanwhile TS3 never even bothered at all.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 2:06 PM
at least they don't hold their phones UPSIDE DOWN in this game jesus christ EA. just remembered that, now I'm angry

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 3:43 PM
The biggest problem with many things in TS3 is that somethings they're just overdesigned, with some weird little detail intended to spice things up- but which usually end up looking fussy. I.e. decals and things that hinder the use of CaSt.

Second thing is that a lot of objects (especially the wall objects) in the game are sort of underscaled, so rooms can still feel sparse.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
tbh I'm not entirely sure where EA's content ends and the CC begins thanks to the little magic of maxis match CC, but I know their selection of electronics always has me bummed out. And where's my generic, unfrivolous seating? I would like some plain featureless lamps? A basic square table with 4 normal-ass legs? TS4 whacked us in the face with generic IKEA aesthetic furniture right at release.

It's funny you mention that last part, because several months ago I was in the same spot. Especially with the lamps. I've basically used the Sawed-Off Lightcaster exclusively because it's the most generic EA lamp. Actually had to make a WCIF thread about that one.

Inventor
#16 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 4:41 PM
The Sims 3 would've benefited greatly from an IKEA Stuff Pack. It's the pack I use the most in The Sims 2 because there's no NORMAL, basic stuff in TS2. It's either country, colonial, ethnic (Asian, Moroccan) or "modern." Let's just say TS2's definition of modern leaves a lot to be desired. TS3 at least had Late Night that added truly modern furniture and University Life added pretty cool (and CHEAP) stuff too.

The Sims 4 Base Game stuff is absurdly low poly and oversized. I reinstalled the base game the other day, and I found myself almost UNABLE to furnish the house how I wanted. The "classic" styles like Princess Cordelia are practically unusable due to how insanely low poly they are. The modern sets are better, though the scale of some items is ridiculous. I had to get some of the mesh overrides PlasticBox made because I could not stand how gigantic some of the furniture looked. I'd say it's a necessity to use custom content in The Sims 4, or buy some of the newer packs like the IKEA-wannabe Tiny Living.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 9:11 PM
Oh boy - there is a lot I don't like. I have changed my mind ever so slightly after working in CAW without mods and cc/store content. But what I miss most is paintings, windows, doors, houseplants (especially the hanging ones), patterns, hair & clothing. You can take all the EA hairs and clothing out of the game and I would not miss any of it.

I also despise the rabbit hole buildings. I also agree with those that have mentioned the "scale" of certain objects. Some of it is way off. That little ivy plant for 5 sim. is so tiny it's not even worth placing anywhere. You can barely see it. I don't place any stereos of any kind onto my lots and if I download a lot with stereos or those intercom boxes hidden up in the corners of rooms - I get rid of that right away.

I could go on.....
Mad Poster
#19 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The biggest problem with many things in TS3 is that somethings they're just overdesigned, with some weird little detail intended to spice things up- but which usually end up looking fussy. I.e. decals and things that hinder the use of CaSt.

Second thing is that a lot of objects (especially the wall objects) in the game are sort of underscaled, so rooms can still feel sparse.

I redid a lot of the items removing the stencils back in my TSR days. It is pretty easy to do. I also do miss in 3 the ability to resize objects like we can in 4.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 10:03 PM
Anyone figured out how to remove this hair? I banned it in CASP editor, but it still shows up. The same with this red plaid pants.

Oh dear, it must be cursed...

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Inventor
#21 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 10:05 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 12th Jun 2021 at 10:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I redid a lot of the items removing the stencils back in my TSR days. It is pretty easy to do. I also do miss in 3 the ability to resize objects like we can in 4.

It's pretty easy to remove stencils and overlays with velocitygrass' mod. And if you remove a stencil and save the preset, you can use the clean preset later even if you don't have the mod installed.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
It's pretty easy to remove stencils and overlays with velocitygrass' mod. And if you remove a stencil and save the preset, you can use the clean preset later even if you don't have the mod installed.

I still do this for other things that may not be covered by the mod I'm about to mention, and it's still great for other reasons besides stencils.

But for the stencils in particular, I'm using this mod now. Adds an empty stencil preset to almost everything that has it by default. Great to have just for the convenience.

Forum Resident
#23 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 9:51 AM
Say what you want about TS4 but it is BY FAR the best game of the series in terms of design aesthetics. I would say 90 percent of the clothes, hair and buy objects are nice and I actually use often, compared to TS3 which gets about a 30% use and TS2 which is maybe around 10% (though some of their stuff packs are pretty good). Most of my TS3 cc are just TS4 conversions.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Say what you want about TS4 but it is BY FAR the best game of the series in terms of design aesthetics. I would say 90 percent of the clothes, hair and buy objects are nice and I actually use often, compared to TS3 which gets about a 30% use and TS2 which is maybe around 10% (though some of their stuff packs are pretty good). Most of my TS3 CC are just TS4 conversions.

With such an amazing tool as CASt and/or CAP, etc , anything could be recreated or made to look retro, modern, and so on. Because of that creative freedom, it makes TS3 the only game in the main series that is the most versatile and fun for many of those who love options and to explore their creativity.

Now mix in EP/SP/Store Content/CC and the selection of choices expands, especially with CASt.

I like buy mode content because there are many options, themes and so on to recreate something I am inspired by or allow my imagination to run wild. Even in this modern world, there is much from the past such as CRT TV's, VCR's, Cassette Players, Rotary Dial Phones and so forth. Some actually do live life with much older technology whether out of nostalgia or something else. And as a life simulator, to me, it makes sense to at least attempt to incorporate different eras with the possibility of expanding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBCHQJBkB8

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#25 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Any item that has way too high of fun value, sims are drawn to them like flies on poop. i.e- Rocking chair and sprinklers. Thanks to Retuner, a player can set the fun to zero if they want to so such items go ignored until directed to use them.

I need to check out Returner. The sprinklers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I have gotten mods to have them not use the computers autonomously. I do not put TVs in houses other than when I want them to watch them for some reason. Some things go in and out of inventories just for when I want them to use them. They get zero access to them otherwise. Zero.
Page 1 of 3