Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 9:51 PM
Default Sims 3 Collab
Hello to those who like me still plays The Sims 3.

So, it has been a while since I've posted anything, but that time has come again.
I sincerely apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if what I want to ask is forbidden, but i just have to try really.

So, as to what has lead me here.
After hours upon hours of searching on the internet, I have failed to find the perfect world for my simmies.
I currently have parents who have 8 almost-all grown children, and they have 6 grandchildren I believe.
They currently live in Chinatong Village by Cink Sims
and it is really beautiful, the lighting is super extra, but there's just not enough space for lots to go on.

That being said, I am thinking about trying my own world, but as I have struggled with world building in the past
I thought I'd ask if anyone wants to collaborate on a mystical, forest-y fairy (or just supernatural in general) world.

Any and all help will be appreciated and happy simming everyone!

ThunderWoodSimmer
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 11:39 PM
I can say that odds are very slim that a new world as a collaboration will ever be completed. I have seen requests to do this many, many times and have never seen a completed one that I can recall. It takes months if not years to do an at all well done world normally. As you have been in CAW and as you like that world so much I would check the information about editing worlds and see if you can just edit and add lots to your liking?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 5:58 PM
Well, this has been encouraging..
Just trying to look for something positive to do in this very difficult time.

If no one is into the idea, I am just gonna have to do it on my own, if only to prove you wrong.

ThunderWoodSimmer
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCatInDaWoods

If no one is into the idea, I am just gonna have to do it on my own, if only to prove you wrong.

I am not sure about what you are saying, but I have seen a lot over the years as have played Sims since the release of the first version. World building takes lots of time and dedication. I think it is well worth it and love doing worlds, but it is not something that people do for others as way too big of a project. Unless that person also wants that world and is willing to do it. I have seen a few worlds where one person did the world and people have contributed lots. That has been done here and on other sites.

I am not sure what you want to prove that is wrong, but I encourage you to get back into CAW and see what you can do. If you need help about CAW post in that section here. If you reach a point where it looks like the world will be able to be uploaded here, some of the builders may want to contribute lots if asked. Give it a chance. I wish you success.
Scholar
#9 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 12:06 AM
There have actually been quite a few collaborative world projects.

The ones I see that seem to work out well start out with someone designing a world & then asking for lots & households when the me of the world is set and the basic layout of the world is pretty well done, so people have something concrete to join in with. It's harder to start from the lot builder and sims creator end and find a world sculptor.

I've had a hard time with setting roads & trees and so on with CAW, but one way to get started is to open an empty EA world in CAW and change things as you go to get the looks you want. If nothing else, to get a feel for the controls.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
There have actually been quite a few collaborative world projects.

The ones I see that seem to work out well start out with someone designing a world & then asking for lots & households when the me of the world is set and the basic layout of the world is pretty well done, so people have something concrete to join in with...

That is what I said. The ones I have seen are someone does the world and others contribute lots. And as said, we can edit existing worlds if you know how to do it, which I do. So far I have not found a world I could not get into in CAW. Your post gives the impression that you want someone to make a world for you, and unless someone really wants that world most people will not do that. I have so far never seen a world done per a request. All joint projects have been someone wanted to make one for his/her own use and thought it would be fun to have builders join in.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCatInDaWoods

It's a lovely idea, but the trouble is that making a world in Sims 3 takes so long! I've made several, and to have them work correctly can be difficult, I would get the routing right and it would work in my game with testing for weeks, only to have sims get stuck in someone else's game. Also, if you want a world for you because you can't find one exactly right, how would you know that someone else would want the same things as you? They might want to put a skyscraper where you want a cottage!

The way EA seemed to do things (judging by the way some of their worlds are structured) was to have the terrain, roads, terrain paint and base lots done by one developer, and then have areas of the world decorated and lots built by seperate developers. All of the assets in those areas were put onto a single layer, and then those layers merged with the main world at the end when they were finished. That is definitely something that we could do with our knowledge of how CAW works, so that might be a good way to approach it if you do collaborate.

If you decide to do things all by yourself, then I would find a world that's close to what you want, and open that in CAW and edit to your own liking. People can give you more help on that if you want to attempt it, I've done this with several worlds myself (EA ones mainly). If you just want to change the buildings on the lots and make new sims then that's even easier, as you don't need CAW for that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
You can also search for magic-themed worlds and edit the lots to your liking via in-game Edit Town.

Yeah, I know I can do that to some degree, but the world I am currently playing has a lot of unroutable terrain so not too many places lots can actually be placed.

ThunderWoodSimmer
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
That is what I said. The ones I have seen are someone does the world and others contribute lots. And as said, we can edit existing worlds if you know how to do it, which I do. So far I have not found a world I could not get into in CAW. Your post gives the impression that you want someone to make a world for you, and unless someone really wants that world most people will not do that. I have so far never seen a world done per a request. All joint projects have been someone wanted to make one for his/her own use and thought it would be fun to have builders join in.

First, could you please share how can I edit a cc world?

Second, I'm sorry you feel that way about my post. If I accidentally misspelled 'help' and made it sound like 'request' blame it on me not being a native English speaker.
All I wanted was help, as I haven't been in CAW for a very long time.

ThunderWoodSimmer
Scholar
#14 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 8:13 PM
Here's the tutorials page: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...3_CAW_Tutorials

If you want to edit an already made world, first "Save As" and rename the copy something like "LuckyPalmsMIne" before you do anything to it.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 9:26 PM Last edited by daisylee : 12th Feb 2021 at 10:08 PM.
Kitty, your English is great! Here is a link to some info. here.

https://modthesims.info/t/469942

It is far easier to edit a world that create a new one. As you like the one you have so much I would try that first. I have some very simplified notes that I use. If I can find I will post here. I have done this many times.

If you have problems post in CAW section as there are many folks here who know CAW well. And some may do it other ways.

- - - -
Found these notes. Very brief but what I do in a nutshell. This is for worlds with no Sims in them and not EA ones. They need more to be done. You get the files from the package version of the world you want to redo. If needed use multi installer to get if you do not have in your DC backup. I would download a totally clean copy from the site where you got the world and go from there.

CAW – Create new world, large 300 flat map and save and close.

- S3PE – 1) Open your file and import> from package of world wanted. (2) Scroll down list and right click> deleted on the WPID resource. (3) File>save. (4) Make copy in case of problem.

CAW – (1) open new world, it may take a while and look odd. (2) Give totally different world name, description, thumbnail. (3) File/ Save as ... and save it under a new name. (4) Export. When want to check and when changes are done.

--------------------
edit: I am downloading that world out of total curiosity and want to see if it looks like it can be added to or more lots added? Will play later and see what it looks like.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Can CAW edit a save file? or only world file? What happened was in my France WA world, for some strange reason there is this 1 block of road that randomly formed in the middle of nowhere connected to nothing. It is clearly a glitch when it saved and I couldn't get rid of it even with town reset. It's not a big deal, just a 1 block piece of road in the middle of a green pasture.

I do not believe so but have never looked into doing that. Simsample and some others probably can advise if possible or not?

If you open a clean France is it OK? If so I would be tempted to put any lots wanted in library from your one, delete that bad travel save, and send sim again to create a new one? Then if OK add lots back? Maybe do some saves/save as and try?

We want to see a photo first though! :D
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 12:09 AM Last edited by Elynda : 9th Feb 2021 at 1:07 AM.
Oh, so I'm not alone! I have had that exact thing happen to me. I'm not sure how long it has been like that, I only noticed it recently, and at first I thought it was just some corruption in one of my saves. But was the same in others that I checked, whenever I sent any sims to Champs Les Sims. It was not a big enough deal to risk doing anything drastic, such as re-installing WA, and I suspect that wouldn't have fixed my saves in any case. In the end I switched to using ellacharmed's fixed version of Champs Les Sims, and as well as fixing some routing problems it has got rid of the phantom road too.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm "pretty sure" a clean France would not have it. It is so out of place that it would be noticeable right away. But I've played it a while before suddenly seeing it. Yeah, at this point saving the lots and sims down and put it in a clean world is the only way to fix it. However, I have modified the world and edit the lots so much, it is a lot work for 1 little glitch. I'm actually sending my sims on a world tour again, I'll be sure to take a screenshot next time.

TBH I would just leave as is too and call it some quirk of Sims. :D
Alchemist
#22 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 11:57 AM
Yeah, that piece of road has always annoyed me, as well, but for some reason I've chosed to ignore it, always telling myself that one of these days I'll fix it. Oh, well...

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
TBH I would just leave as is too and call it some quirk of Sims. :D

Some poor sim working as a road worker just happened to have a bad day.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 9th Feb 2021 at 1:48 PM
There were some experiments into extracting a world from a save file; here on MTS:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....916#post3903916
Also there was a tutorial written on Simthis:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012060...g-s3pe-and-caw/
Pictures are borked so I put a PDF here:
https://simfileshare.net/download/2353295/