Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 7:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Multiple Lifespans in the Same Game
I have downloaded the Story Progression Mod for The Sims 2, and realized that playing with it makes the game develops much faster (obviously), in a way that the normal lifespan seems really short. This could be solved by downloading mods that increases the lifespan; but the problem is that there are some neighborhoods I wish I could play the normal way, whithout story progression (just to have a little more control over things, plus the fact that Story Progression is a huge endeavour being udertaken, and there are some glitches to solve as well), and, whithout it, we get the opposite problem; sims would take eons to age. Now, we can turn Story Progression on and off for each neighborhood; what I would like to know is if there's a way to 'turn the lifespan mod on/off' for each neighborhood as well.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 12:20 AM
What I would do is make a different 'The Sims 2' folder. Just do that by renaming the folder in the EA GAMES folder in your documents and load the game up. It should generate a new one. That way, you have a game with your normal lifespan and another game with an extended lifespan (just place your new aging mod in whichever 'The Sims 2' folder you're planning on using it on).

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Scholar
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 2:06 AM
Yes. Making different folders for this is a must. I made the mistake of trying to swap out mods in different saves. It’s very easy to forget, open the wrong hood with the wrong mods in place and screw up the hood — especially with story progression. Here are the game folders I have now.

1. Vanilla
2. Story progression (I use normal lifespan because I play only one household per hood)
3. Medieval cc only
4. Long lifespan
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eusebio Ptolomeu
I have downloaded the Story Progression Mod but the problem is that there are some neighborhoods I wish I could play the normal way, whithout story progression

You can. Load up their lots and turn SP off for them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 10:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I do something similar to what kewpie did: I basically have 2 copies of the "downloads" folder compressed in my computer, one with story progression and lifespan mods, and another one without them; I have to unzip the correct "download" folder every time I'm going to play the game. It works, but its kind of a hasle having to do this ever time, I was looking for a easier way to achieve this.
Alchemist
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 3:52 PM
@Eusebio Ptolomeu, instead of unzipping the correct download folder, do what CrystalFlame360/kewpie suggested and make an entirely different TS2 folder. Don't just swap the Download folder in and out. So for example, when I want to have a separate folder I rename my old folder something different (usually something short like "Reg" for my regular game, but it can be anything) and then start up the game. The game will generate a brand new TS2 folder, into which I copy all the shared things I want in both setups, like CEPs, custom music, userstartup, etc. (You can also just copy your old TS2 folder if that's easier.)

Anyway, once you have two folders, put your Story Progression Download folder in one and then the other Downloads folder in the other TS2 folder. The game will only load the folder currently named "The Sims 2" (you might need the TM in the folder name, depending on your game version). This way you only have to rename the folders when you switch hoods. It does require more hard drive space, but it's much easier than unzipping the folder all the time, imo, and often less confusing. This way you also don't have to worry about starting up the wrong hood, like kewpie mentioned, because each hood is always with its respective folder. You just have to remember that you might need to file away new downloads twice, depending on where you want to use the cc.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her