Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 3:57 PM
I made several Twinbrook items show up in World Edit. However they won't show up in CAW. So the theory that CAW doesn't read .packages, must be true or World Edit and CAW area totally different. Is there a way to convert a .package file into a .Sims3Pack?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 4:20 PM
Thank god than cause I'm still getting used to this method.
Instructor
#53 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sleepalldaypartyallnight
SimsMX were all your objects default replacements?

Yea, they are all default replacements. I also made some Store items (Riverview) replacements. They can be placed in World Edit, but they cannot be found in CAW.
Test Subject
#54 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 9:07 PM
Hasn't anyone tried the EA debug feature 'create object'. By doing that I was able to get any object I wanted in CAW providing it wasn't custom content. First, you go to Edit in Game. All you need to do is have awesomemod installed and EA debugging commands enabled, ctrl-shift-click the ground and choose create object. The resource name is all you need for basegame objects, but you need the resource name and the number of the EP/SP it came from for any expansion objects.

I can't import custom content yet, though, and for this reason, I need your help.

I believe this pulls all resources and images directly from the game, so there's no messy duplicates clogging up your game, but it still requires a bit of research. It's really simple, but I'm not a scripter in any form, so I'm posting it here in the hope that it might help some of you guys.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 10:40 PM
@Emmies: I think showing up the "unshown" objects in World Editor catalog as I and Sims_MX said is better than using debugging command . I already created a mod to show those objects in World Editor catalog yesterday, and it is now available on MTS.

I believe this method will also work with any CCs.

GiLaNg
After 7 year hiatus, Worldwide lockdown (and regretting the purchase of The Sims 4 last autumn sale) brought me back to The Sims 3.
Test Subject
#56 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 10:58 PM
Fantastic. But what value you edit to get CC to show up? You mentioned trial and error, but it would be nice to have a specific answer, or even a mini-tutorial.

Also, what if you edit the CC to show up in world Editor, then somebody downloads the world, but they don't have your edited file, would it still work for them or would it disappear?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I'm desperate to add to my collection of world-building links and tricks.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 11:49 PM Last edited by GiLaNg : 5th Sep 2010 at 7:56 AM.
@Emmies: It's already in SimsWiki now. You may try to look at it here.

My created objects is default replacement which only alter catalog info without altering other information such as GUID, Model, etc, which I actually don't understand . As I mentioned on my thread, your world will not require the mod to be installed in order to intall your custom world. So it is not necessary to install my mod to install your custom world in other computer. The game will recognize those objects as objects included in your copy of Ambitions. So the only requirement of using your custom worlds is have the Ambitions installed.

Another example: If you modify some CC you've downloaded to show up in WE catalog, then you upload the custom world using those edited CC, the requirement for your custom world is have the CC installed BUT it is not required to be shown in WE catalog, which also means you don't need to reupload those modified CC. As long as you don't edit anything such as GUID, or something important, it will be just fine. Because you only alter how objects is appeared in catalog. It does not affect the appearance of your objects inside your game/world.

UPDATE
Guys, suddenly I come up to an idea to create a framework similar to framework to install custom mod in The Sims 3 vanilla games. Please try it using my modified Twinbrook objects. It should show up in CAW catalog.
  1. Open Create-a-World folder in Program Files
  2. Create folder called Packages
  3. Append these lines to Resource.cfg files which located in Create-a-World program folder:
    Priority 501
    DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
    Priority 500
    PackedFile Packages/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
  4. Put the package inside the Package folder and, voila

GiLaNg
After 7 year hiatus, Worldwide lockdown (and regretting the purchase of The Sims 4 last autumn sale) brought me back to The Sims 3.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#58 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 10:34 AM
HP had asked whether it's possible to not make full clones of the objects, to only reference the files in some way.?

Not in Workshop. By the time you cloned the object, it's all been pulled in and relinked so you can't just delete the unwanted bits. For the purpose of the above, you are better off using s3oc. Untick all the options such as renumber, so it doesn't get altered in any way. That leaves you with a complete copy of the original item which *would* make an override.

In S3PE, delete all the resources apart from the OBJD and STBLs.

Then go back into s3oc, load that package, and tick "renumber", choose your new name and description for the new object, and Start. That will give you a new catalog object that in all other respects is the same as the original and shares its resources.

I am writing this from memory, just double check in the S3OC Help, in the two-pass method section, to ensure I have remembered the details correctly.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#59 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 12:35 PM
Yes I think you're summing it up correctly, though the emphasis is perhaps a little different from how I think of it. But yes, it's going to share most of the resources with the original - you are simply giving the new object it's own OBJD so the game knows it exists. The STBLs are just a convenience so you can name it and find it in the game. Otherwise there would be nothing to tell it apart from the original and you would't know which one you were testing. In fact you don't *need* anything but the OBJD.

The reason I said take it to S3OC for the renumbering rather than simply sticking a new Instance ID to it in S3PE is in case the OBJD self-references internally, which I can't remember whether they usually do, and S3OC does take care of that sort of thing. Also that there is an internal catalog name that I think needs making unique. So it's a few things to remember that S3OC frees you from.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 1:51 PM
Yeah. It seems what you installed in CAW framework is not linked to in-game framework. And as I said, even if you uninstall the default-replacement for Twinbrook objects, the game should still recognize the original Twinbrook objects. Because the original and default-replacement shares the same GUID. The only thing is that it won't appear on your catalog. In other hand, the custom content you installed in CAW folder won't be recognized by in-game if you don't install it in your game framework/package folder. So the game will think it as a missing object.

In case you would like to link those two different folder, and you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can use command line tools MKLINK to create symbolic link between those two folders.
  1. Run CMD in elevated privilege (run as administrator)
  2. Type MKLINK /D [CAW Program Folder]\Packages [The Sims 3 CC Framework Folder]\Packages
So now CAW will recognize the Packages folder as if it is exist, which actually it is linked to The Sims 3 framework's Package folder. Any CC you install in The Sims 3 CC framework will be linked automatically and CAW will recognize it.

GiLaNg
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Mikikitty : 5th Sep 2010 at 5:45 PM.
So, first of all, THANKS GUYS for all your effort! I am sooooo very happy to be able to use all those objects!!

Now, one question: If I want to use, say, train tracks in CAW, is it right that I have to first go into EIG, place a couple of train tracks, save and then move them in CAW? Or can I actually filter for them?
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:04 PM Last edited by Mikikitty : 5th Sep 2010 at 6:21 PM.

Somehow it works now...
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:22 PM
Thanks, we just fixed it magically and it works now. Hurray!
Test Subject
#64 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 4:33 PM
i'm seeing all of your twinbrook stuff in caw and everything works, i tried to put a mesh i created (skyscraper object) in caw by following the instructions and by copyng the values in S3PE but i still can't see it!i really dont know what's wrong i followed tutorials and everything...
Test Subject
#65 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 4:49 PM
Which tutorials did you follow? Are you sure that you copied all of the values correctly? Also, I PMed you about skyscrapers not too long ago.

sorry i didnt see the pm(i'll reply now). btw i followed the tutorial you showed in your cacti thread, i copied each value with the correct ones but nothing, i still can't see my object (i tested it ingame and yes, it shows up)
Test Subject
#66 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 4:54 PM

On the items, although i got some problems with the installing of it they don't show up in my cfg, i think the problem is with my resources cfg file, the problem is i can't save it back to a cfg after i've edited it. so can anyone explain it to me or send me the file.

Thanks in advance.

Quotex

EDIT: Problem has been solved. Although i suggest the creator to ad some visual tutorial for other people.
Test Subject
#67 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 8:38 PM
I think it must have been to do with the message about shaders because I clicked no and imported the images because then there weren't any missing in the material list. I've got it working by replacing the IMGs in S3PE instead and then importing it into TSRW to convert to sims3pack. I'm gonna test it now.

Wooh, it worked! Custom bridges!

I've managed to answer my own questions regarding this topic.

Okay, so I opened the sims3pack in CUSTARD and the bridge was inside there along with the world. Sims3packs attach themselves to worlds (but we already knew that.)

The bridge was already installed before I installed the world. A second copy of the bridge wasn't installed.

I uninstalled the world, removed the bridge file from the sims3pack using CUSTARD and then re-installed the world, but keept the separate bridge sims3pack installed. The bridge appeared in game. Only I forgot to test, I can't see any problems with this though. This means that creators can remove CC from worlds using CUSTARD and provide any world objects they had made separately for users to choose whether or not to install them.

If the CC objects are not installed they disappear:

Plants and other hood decorations wouldn't affect anything other than the aesthetic of the world I don't think, but custom bridges however would be required for the world to function. I guess it's something then that creators and downloaders have to decide themselves, is the custom bridge necessary for their world, or do I not want to install this CC more than I want to install the world. etc.

How did you could to create this custom bridge?

What was the object that you used in TSRW to create it?

I created a fence recolor and it is in the CAW, but I also needed to create a recolor bridge exactly as you created. I have not found an object of the same size in TSRW.
Test Subject
#68 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 1:54 AM
THANK YOU!

But... the bridge will appear in the world if the people who install the world do not have the file of the bridge?

The file of the bridge will join to the world?
Test Subject
#69 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 9:09 PM
It did not work.

The new bridge textures are changed in the cache files, and when I delete it, the game generates new files with the texture of the old bridge Twinbrook.

The only way would be to convert the files packages to sims3pack format. Packages make the game slow and I also need files join to the world.

Anyone know a way to convert files without using the TSRW. Because it is very limited.
Test Subject
#70 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 11:34 PM
Package to Sims3pack in CAW

I found out what was wrong when I converted files package in sims3pack format by TRSW. It need the photo on the launcher is correct.

Convert files package in sims3pack format and then use the file sims3pack format to have another sims3pack file by TRSW. If the photo file appears in the launcher just install and check in the CAW.
Theorist
#71 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 12:24 AM
Okay so I took a couple objects and followed the tutorial and I have a couple questions
1. Are they supposed to be in CAW or just edit in game? I followed the tutorial but mine only appear when editing in game, I couldn't find the twinbrook objects I downloaded either.
2. Does doing this have any affect on the regular object in game?

Hi I'm Paul!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#72 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Okay so I took a couple objects and followed the tutorial and I have a couple questions
1. Are they supposed to be in CAW or just edit in game? I followed the tutorial but mine only appear when editing in game, I couldn't find the twinbrook objects I downloaded either.
2. Does doing this have any affect on the regular object in game?

If you are using GiLaNg's tutorial then they should show up in CAW in the metadata list.
This doesn't affect the items in-game, you are just altering the way the item displays in the catalog/ CAW.
Page 3 of 3