Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 13th Oct 2019 at 4:19 PM Last edited by SusaSusanna : 14th Oct 2019 at 6:46 AM.
Ok Sims is installed, CAW also, the link was set like this: In folder: /home/myname/Games/the-sims-3/drive_c/users/myname/Meine Dokumente/Electronic Arts
execute: ln -sf ../Die\ Sims\ 3/Mods/Packages/ Packages

We also tryed an absolute link: ln -sf /home/myname/Schreibtisch/Electronic\ Arts/Die\ Sims\ 3/Mods/Packages/ Packages

My Resource.cfg file in the CAW folder has this ending:
FileType 0x03b33ddf mod
FileType 0x0604abda dreamtree
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

The result: The package folder of my mod folder does show in the CAW folder, but half of my files for CAW are again missing, same problem as before. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 14th Oct 2019 at 1:12 PM
So the folder is recognized but not everything in it? But some packages are?
Are they maybe too deep down in a folder structure?
By the way in Dolphin you can set links with the UI which is way easier because you see where you are going. But since some packages show up it can't be a problem with the link.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 14th Oct 2019 at 3:59 PM
No I don't have a big folder structure at all, only the package folder and inside 4 more folders, that aren't in each others, just sorted clothes, hair and other items into separate folders. The packages had the same problem on my windows computer before when I tryed "the simple put your package folder into the CAW folder" without linking, means the items that show now in CAW would just show anyways, no package folder in CAW needed for them, they are Electronic Arts items I guess and different created. However I can assure you that the items that show up for me are not in need of linking or anything, they are always in CAW and the linking is definitely the problem, because everything showed up in my windows with that link..
Field Researcher
#29 Old 14th Oct 2019 at 6:07 PM
If you go into Dolphin and look at the folder where the link is in does it show up correctly? Is it named Packages?
So the items showing up are not from the linked folder, I understand that correctly?
CAW seems to have a problem loading those packages because for a Computer it is totally the same if there is a link or the files directly.. If it shows them sometimes and sometimes not it has other issues as well..
But if no items from that folder show up then it could still be the link.. so go look at it if it shows up correctly. It should look like the folder is there natively just the font should be italic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#30 Old 14th Oct 2019 at 7:39 PM Last edited by SusaSusanna : 14th Oct 2019 at 8:57 PM.
To say it clearly, the packages that show in CAW, always show, with and without link, those are made by EA and are always in CAW showing, they are in the package folder too, but all other CAW content you can download is not showing. Especially at Mod the sims you can get a ton of items for caw. Those don't show in windows without linking the folder, at least it did not on my windows7. But with the link they were showing up in CAW. Now that I use Linux, none of those show even with link, and yes the link works ( if I click on it in the CAW folder it opens my packages folder from the Sims3 folder and the fond is italic on the CAW Packages folder and Packages is written with capital letter too. So no mistakes there. Also the config file was altered in the installation folder of CAW as well.

We did solve it now. We linked the package folder into the installation folder instead of the CAW folder you work with and put your textures for example. As far as I remember on windows you needed to link it into this one, but seems that Linux works different and only recognizes the content if you link the package folder into the installation folder of CAW.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#31 Old 15th Oct 2019 at 6:09 AM
There is no Linux version of Caw. It is the Windows version so if it needs another folder then that is the same for both. I am glad you could figure it out
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 15th Oct 2019 at 8:41 AM
Thank you Kitty, our discussion might hopefully help other Linux users too if they run into the same problem. On my windows it worked easier, maybe the folder should have been there linked also to the installation folder but it worked ( without that) the other way too, so I never realized that then. Thanks for your help
Field Researcher
#33 Old 17th Oct 2019 at 9:22 AM
Like I said before this was not a Linux problem.
So if anyone who is not on Linux lands here with the same problem, apparently the packages are located either in the installation folder or the documents folder depending on the game version as stated here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php%3Ftit...p:CAW_Framework
Page 2 of 2