Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 8:54 PM
Create a world refuses to start
I posted this in the "Create A World - CAW not running or running slowly? EIG not launching?" subforum and it didn't get answered, so I'm posting my problem here.

My CAW doesn't want to start. It opens for a few seconds, then closes without any errors.

I've done everything short of a complete reinstall of the game. I've...
Checked the versions (both are at 1.67)
Installed CAW in a location where UAC shouldn't mess with it/Run as admin
Uninstalled and reinstalled CAW (multiple times)
Used Large Address Aware
Cleared the caches

I should noted that I have the Steam version of the game. I've created registry entries for the non-Steam version that redirects to the Steam files already.
I've also used TurboTravel (https://docs.google.com/document/d/...CuVJGkTsxI/edit) which combines game files- more or less. I used a previous version of my game before I used TurboTravel and it still didn't work.
It worked fine in the past, but when recently I tried to get it working again and it won't do anything, just opens and closes. I have a process monitor set up if you need any more information.

Specs:
Win 8.1
32gb RAM
GTX 1060
i3-8350k

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 20th Apr 2020 at 4:23 AM
You only have a i3 processor? I'm no expert, but I'm a bit curious. It looks like you have expanded your ram and have an updated graphicscard, but didn't bother with the processor?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Apr 2020 at 12:33 AM
If it worked in the past and does not now, what did you change in the interim?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You only have a i3 processor? I'm no expert, but I'm a bit curious. It looks like you have expanded your ram and have an updated graphicscard, but didn't bother with the processor?

Actually it's a 8th gen i3, which is about as good as a 7th gen i5 while being substantially cheaper. I do want to upgrade to an newer i5 at some point though.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
If it worked in the past and does not now, what did you change in the interim?

TurboTravel and changing some config files. I've tried it with the default files but it didn't change anything. That's why it's so confusing to me, I've thought I've done everything at this point.

On another note, I recently tried looking at what happens when I start the program. Interestingly enough, it gets to trying to access "ntdll.dll" in system32, then just closes with a unhelpfully vague "Process Exit".

This is what I'm talking about. I can post the whole log if you want more information.
https://i.imgur.com/d6ebqTL.png
Test Subject
#5 Old 11th May 2020 at 6:53 AM
I'm not sure if this will be much help but since uninstalling and reinstalling both CAW and S3 both will not start by simply double clicking the icon. Instead, I right click the icon and choose Run as administrator. That gets it going for me. Hope it helps!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 11th May 2020 at 2:32 PM
When you say you edited your registry, is this what you mean: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...s/?id=277022926 ?

If so, check and see if maybe something didn't go haywire with your registry recently.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th May 2020 at 6:56 PM
When I installed 3 on a new laptop I started to install on C and had to switch to D. I had to go in manually and clean up the registry to remove leftovers before the new would work. Uninstalling did not clean them up. Once done, I was fine.