Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:26 PM
Default OMG, I LOVE Appaloosa Plains!
I got PETs a few months ago, but didn't install it till last month...and then only for the horses, the cats, and the trees.

Two minutes ago, I loaded Appaloosa Plains for the first time. I fucking LOVE it: the colours, the layout...

Barring any routing issues, I'm guessin' this is where I'll be stayin' from now on.
I wish I could climb into the monitor and live here for real.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:27 PM
It's actually nice as far as worlds go! I use it frequently.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:30 PM
So far, I've only used the build/buy button to look at specific lots...and am already in love.

I think it's time to slip into camera mode, and take a walk around town.

I never liked Bridgeport...and Twinbrooks was just okay...so I'd settled for Sunset Valley. But it's too bland after seeing this place.
I wish I'd gotten PETs first thing.
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 8:52 PM
Moonlight falls and Appaloosa plains are my favorite towns :3
You can actually see townies riding horses on the streets, awesome!
Scholar
#5 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 9:58 PM
Oh, that's good to know. I haven't even TOUCHED it yet and I have pets since it came out. I just have so many fucking things to do and I'll get to it... someday.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 11:51 PM
Truth is, AP is the only world that horses really work well in. Trying to put a horse farm into other worlds is difficult, especially if you want the Equestrian Center for racing and the horse park for training and socializing. They left enough room around the lot placements for the horses to run through, which was, for me at least, always an issue if I tried getting horses in another world. I finally gave up on shoehorning them in anywhere else, so if you have Pets, and are just rediscovering AP now, wait until you play with the horses in a location they don't totally muck up play.

And while it is a great world in general, for my play style, some of the other worlds are better suited for me, but I can't bring my horsies along.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 12:15 AM
However, from the terrain routing perspective, there are actually better EA worlds for horses: Lucky Palms, Moonlight Falls and Lunar Lakes, because they are mostly flat and spread out. Appaloosa Plains, on the other hand, is a minor nightmare with regard to the wild horses that get constantly stuck at the not so well sculpted fishing and beach lots. Just try to interact with one there. Maybe two hours later you will have finally found a spot where you can let one sniff your hand. It took me ages to befriend the unicorn there while it was a matter of only a few encounters in Moonlight Falls.
One Minute Ninja'd
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 1:17 AM
I never tried horses in Lunar Lakes, as that just doesn't feel "right". I mean, horses running around on the moon? Bad enough seeing sloppy jalopies and cabs on the moon. Like you would really expend all that fuel to send a cheap Yugo knockoff to the moon to drive around in, let alone a freaking horse.

MF could work, the lots were nicely spread out. But I am surprised you found Lucky Palms to be horse friendly. Seemed to me that while there was room in the desert, there were too many closely placed lots for the horses to get caught up on. I don't dispute the problems around the watering hole in AP the unicorns always liked, but if you kept your horses on the lower plains portion of the map, they had lots of room to get their ya ya's out running between the "ranch" lots spaced out there.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 1:33 AM
From an artistic perspective, Appaloosa Plains is indeed a nice world, certainly one of the best featured in an expansion for the game. From a game play perspective I've found it to be one of the worst. Not nearly as bad as Starlight Shores or Bridgeport, but still horrible in its own ways.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

#10 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I never tried horses in Lunar Lakes, as that just doesn't feel "right". I mean, horses running around on the moon? (...)
Alien horses, my friend, in yellow, purple and blue. Terrific sight during sunset or sunrise when everything turns pink up there :lovestruc
I think it was here on MTS where I found templates for horses that were modeled after those six-legged horses from that horrible Sci-Fi 3D movie that everyone seems to love except for me, the one with those blue humanoid natives.
Spice Pony
#11 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 2:13 AM
Appaloosa Plains looks cool, at least geographically. But I've never been able to play it, because attempting to summons up fatal save errors in only one-two play sessions. (My game is seriously broken, but it normally takes at least three.)
#12 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XXS
Pocahontas in Space?
To all "Pocahontas in Space" abusers

(You made me google this and yes, that's the movie I had in mind. I totally forgot its name, so thank you for bringing it back to my attention )
Alchemist
#13 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:52 AM
The backstories of the premade Sims in Appaloosa Plains are also well-defined in their biography, unlike premade Sims from other worlds.

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 5:05 PM
For some reason, I never really got into AP. I tried starting a few games there, but I always got bored before any of them took off. Usually I play a file until the lag kills the fun, but with AP I barely played more than a week. I tried adding some of my own buildings and content from other expansions to make the town seem more lively, but that didn't work either. So it became just another reason why I didn't care all that much when I uninstalled Pets. I think most of my disappointment though came from the fact that a world called Appaloosa PLAINS turned out to be one of the most rugged and and hilly towns yet. >_<
#15 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:22 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 2nd Dec 2014 at 9:01 PM.
You remind me that the the main and major problem with AP for me is that there are almost only combo-rabbitholes. And these are broken in numerous ways, the most noticeable of these is that inactives don't visit them. So the whole centre of town is always dead except for the theatre. Inactives seem to actually be unable to use them, so noone enters the diner or bistro for food and they are always standing in front of them starving and then finally leaving IF they visit the lot at all.
If there will ever be a modder who finds a solution for this they can be sure of my infinite gratitude because it is one of the biggest problems I have with this game.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#16 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:55 PM
Hmm, intriguing...

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
#17 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Hmm, intriguing...
Appaloosa Plains or the broken combo-rabbitholes?
#18 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Appaloosa Plains or the broken combo-rabbitholes?
Take a guess.

#19 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 9:22 PM
I fear the former and hope the latter. If it is indeed the latter, however, I can provide you with a whole novel's worth of information about the extent of their being broken.

Edit: Well, maybe not a whole novel if I delete the expletives from my report first.
One Minute Ninja'd
#20 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 10:04 PM
The workaround I end up with in worlds with combo RHs is to replace them with single RHs, although that does eat up lot allocation. But if there is a fix (Buzzler, I hope it's REALLY interesting, because it's a pet peeve of mine as well) that would be great, as the principle of a combo is solid, but the execution was flawed. Although, I have found that taking a larger lot and placing more than one RH on it, such as the bistro and diner on the same lot, will allow for the "foot traffic" of individual RHs, without wasting too many lots on the problem.
#21 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I fear the former and hope the latter. If it is indeed the latter, however, I can provide you with a whole novel's worth of information about the extent of their being broken.
Hit me. Like always I don't make any promises, though.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Truth is, AP is the only world that horses really work well in.

Yeah but it's also not very funny. Have you seen a horse trying to gallop up a set of stairs in Bridgeport? That shit had me laughing for ages.
One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Yeah but it's also not very funny. Have you seen a horse trying to gallop up a set of stairs in Bridgeport? That shit had me laughing for ages.

Yeah, and then they try to take the subway home and fuck up the evening commute for the whole town.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 10:38 PM
I'm sorry but that just made me laugh even harder.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 11:35 PM
I really like AP too. Once wild horses are disabled in there, it's probably one of the words where I experience the least amount of lag.
Page 1 of 2