Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 9:23 PM
Default Time Passing Speed
What do you guys think about the speed at which time passes in the Sims? I didn't play Sims for a long time, because it was nearly impossible to take care of everybody's needs when a Sim hour passes by in about 3 minutes. I would love it if Sims 3 gave us a happy medium. Just so it doesn't take them a full 5 minutes to walk from one end of the house to the other.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Sep 2008 at 4:55 AM
Well, as in Sims 1 and 2, time has always been like this: one real-time second = one Sim minute, thus, one real-time minute = one Sim hour.

I understand your frustration and I share mine with you. But thankfully The Sims 3 is supposed to be focusing less on the motives and more on relationships and the new seamless town. So I am guessing the motives will decay slower. Have you noticed that this was revised in Sims 2 from Sims 1? In Sims 2, the decaying of needs was a bit slower than in Sims 1 because of the new gameplay involved. Also, in Sims 2 when your Sim went to work or school, their "hunger" need always filled up all the way as if they had lunch there. This in turn helped the game be a bit easier to maintain. And if their "bladder" was low enough, it also filled all the way while they were at work or school as if having a potty break. This never happened in Sims 1, so even going out to places was always a bit of a hassle because the motives decayed so damn quickly. Your Sim in Sims 1 would lose energy so quickly from walking from one spot to another. In Sims 2 this was fixed.

Also, keep in mind that there has always been 8 motives in these games to maintain. In Sims 3 it has been reduced to only 4: hunger, bladder, fun and energy (not sure if these will be the actual motive names but I'm just going by the icons shown in the UI in various screen shots). And it makes sense why just these four. Why? Because traits take care of the rest now that traits are so vital and powerful in this game. We don't need an environmental score because now certain traits will determine how they feel in general about their environment (i.e., a slob Sim should not have to raise an environment score to be happy because it prefers a mess). We don't need a comfort motive because certain traits will determine the Sim's comfort. We don't need a social motive because certain traits will determine that (i.e., a loner Sim will not want to be social with anyone while a shy Sim will want a reduced amount of socialization). And lastly, there's the "hygiene" motive, which I am sure depends on certain traits (i.e., a slob Sim may not care if it has not showered in days while a neat Sim is more likely to shower one or more times a day).

The point to all this is that it greatly reduces what our Sims must do in order to be taken care of. And now that Sims are even smarter than ever before, that will add to the ease. But as for your main concern in having a Sim walk from one end to the other and time passing by so quickly, as long as time will remain the same as it has always been, then unfortunately you will just have to put up with that because time is going to go by no matter what. Unless you make them run, which will be rather quick! It's great when in a rush!

I do hope that the energy will at least depend on traits because an active Sim is not going to be as tired to walk from one end to the other. I hope that bed icon in the new UI is mostly for just sleeping.

Also, with the new exclusive traits that your Sim can earn from spending Lifetime Happiness Points toward, there will be motive-related traits such as "steel bladder" which will freeze your Sim's bladder for a certain amount of time so that it won't have to use it or use it as often.

But again, I agree with you on the time. It would be nice if time was changed to a slower rate but then the game would be even longer to play. Maybe have it as a new option or a cheat?

EDIT: Oh, and Sims are now getting a "moodlets" system to determine their current moods, so that should play an important role. So while we may not get a "social" motive, Sims who depend on socializing will eventually become depressed if not socializing at all while a loner Sim may get depressed if socializing a lot.

Hope this helps!