Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:34 AM
Default Can we create custom paintings in The Sims 3?
I'm wondering if it is possible to create custom paintings in The Sims 3, or to re-colour the existing painting meshes?

If it is possible, how can it be done and what tool would be best for the technically challenged (non-computer programmers)?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:15 AM
Not yet, no. Paintings themselves are not recolourable as far as I've seen. Give it some time - this is probably doable, eventually.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Not yet, no. Paintings themselves are not recolourable as far as I've seen. Give it some time - this is probably doable, eventually.

They should be resurfaceable tho'. After doing some serious digging about it looks like each and every in-game object is defined by an XML file that dictates what other data objects are used with it, so in theory it should be a matter of creating a new object, recycling the meshes by referencing them just like the original object did, and then referencing your own artwork instead of the original artwork.

The problem I have is that I've *no* idea how the object instance IDs are generated... It looks like a hash table to me, but can one just pick an empty slot and start stuffing something into it, or is there a mechanism that can be used to generate these "safely"? I've managed to figure out that a shortcut to finding these things is to export them and then go digging around in the sims3pack file that's generated--just having gotten around to trying on a painting (mainly making a bunch of screwey t-shirts at the moment).