Replies: 78 (Who?), Viewed: 1972 times.
Page 4 of 4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#76 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 12:41 PM
If you want flowers that smell in your space, instead of ditching the Easter lily in the spring, plant it somewhere.

These lilies were planted along the side of the house many moons ago after I brought them outside because I don't like the smell of them. Every year when these bloom, they stink up the whole front yard when the breeze blows.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#77 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 1:14 PM
MOAR mushrooms. I discovered this cluster yesterday...

Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#78 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:59 PM
The Neon Philodendron is almost ready for a trim, but I wanted to take some pics first.

One of the little things about this plant nobody talks about is how the new growth is pink. The pink fades with time, but it's pretty while it lasts.

This plant is still holding on to the leaves it came with, but all the new growth looks much better and doesn't have any mechanical damage. Mechanical = damage to the leaves
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#79 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 27th Aug 2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
I apologize ahead of time for any out of focus fuzz that doesn't belong. It was 90 degrees in the sun and it wasn't even 9:30 AM when I started this post. I tried taking a picture of the flower shown below in the house; I didn't like the results.

I have been at odds with this Thanksgiving cactus for literally years. It has had root rot, scale, it has been under watered, over watered, ect... People on the internet will tell you that it is the easiest plant to keep and that is true for many, but for me, it is my struggle plant. I don't remember the last time this plant flowered, so I'm pretty excited that it has. It means I finally figured out the code of keeping a Thanksgiving cactus although I really couldn't tell you what that code is except for what I've done.

After the last case of root rot, I potted it in the same soil mix as my monsteras and other plants; ditched the 'cactus soil'. Cactus soil holds too much water and stays wet for too long.

I only water it when it is completely dry.

I don't fertilize this plant like my vining plants, it is a slow grower. Trying to feed it more to make it 'grow faster' doesn't work. This way of thinking doesn't work for any slow growing plant. Doing that kills plants because the plant doesn't use all of the salt and other things that ferts contain. All the extra ferts just end up making the soil crusty, hard and nasty. Anywho, I bought ferts for cactus for this plant, it hated it even though I only used a few drops in a liter sized container of water. I learned my lesson from that and now only give it worm castings every couple of months. There is enough stuff in the soil mix that will break down over time to make up for whatever the plant is not getting from the worm castings.

Some of the leaves on this plant have 'sun burn'. Sun burn or sun stressed for these plants makes the leaves turn a purple color, although the burn isn't from the sun. This plant sits under a single strand of LED lights. On the shelf over that is 3 strands of the same lights. In other words, it gets a lot of light for about 11-12 hours a day. For clarity, many of my plants sit on a wire rack, so light filters through. I use a smaller version of this rack. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Sele...-Unit/999990408
I do have the one that is linked, the tortoise cages are on it. They get all the morning sun and enjoy it.

So there is a crash course in keeping Thanksgiving cactus. Give them exactly what they want and they will flower.
Screenshots
Page 4 of 4