Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HoodChecker 1.0.3 - Neighborhood Corruption Detector (Updated February 11, 2013)

by Mootilda Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 4:50 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:51 PM by Nysha

443 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 349 Feedback Posts, 93 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 18
Mad Poster
#76 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 4:34 PM Last edited by FranH : 6th Oct 2011 at 5:34 PM.
Mootilda, one question I do have:

Is there any way to get rid of sims listed this way:
"User File Warning:
Sim has no Character file: 0x04D1 SimID=0xEC182DBF"

Edit: These files in SimPE are under the category of "unknown sim", with NO character file. I checked a few of them, and they have no information in them whatsoever. They are in the list your program puts out.

I have read the previous posts about deleting some of these files-they don't seem to be related to anyone in the neighborhood and have no seeming relevance to any sims.

Are these files even useful or should they stay in the files as they are (possibly being the default or dead sims)?

I personally believe that these files are actually 'false' memories that have been inserted somewhere along the line, and thus created a file that became a 'subject' in that.

I was wondering if I can do the deletion of these sims the "Pescado" way or with the SimPE 'deleter' in order to finally rid my neighborhood of them?

I would love to do this..but won't if it isn't good for the game.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#77 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 6:06 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Oct 2011 at 9:57 PM.
At this time, I don't have a definitive answer. That's because the answer depends upon whether those sims are actually used in your neighborhood.

Valid SimIDs with no character file:

As explained by Tarlia in reply #15, some of these sims may be valid SimIDs created by your custom content, such as multi- Pollination Technician and multi- Plantsim mods.

In these cases, the user data exists in the CC itself, rather than in a User package in the Characters folder.

I'm not sure that there are any quick ways to find the valid SimIDs which are used by CC. You should be able to open any such mods in SimPE and search for each specific GUID: click on the Tools menu and select PJSE / Simantics Resource Finder. Click "GUID" and type in the GUID that you are looking for, then click Search.

There may be a way for the HoodChecker to automate this process, as long as it has access to all custom content for the neighborhood. This is on my to-do list (reply #6)

Invalid SimIDs with no character file:

For the invalid SimIDs which came with the shipped neighborhoods, I believe that Tarlia just deleted the Sim Description (SDSC) records, along with any references to those sims.

As long as you remove all references, this seems like a reasonable strategy.

In post #64, I have listed the invalid sims included in the shipped neighborhoods:
http://www.modthesims.info/download...663#post3657663

It would be helpful if the HoodChecker could provide a list of all references to an individual sim, especially those sims who have no character data. This is also on my to-do list.

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Are these files even useful or should they stay in the files as they are (possibly being the default or dead sims)?
Although I can't say for sure what they are without further knowledge of your CC, we know that they are not default or dead sims created during normal game play. If they are dead sims, then a person had to (incorrectly) delete the user file off of the disk while the game was not running.

I personally believe that these files are actually 'false' memories that have been inserted somewhere along the line, and thus created a file that became a 'subject' in that.
I don't believe so. As far as we know, memories never create Sim Descriptions.

I was wondering if I can do the deletion of these sims the "Pescado" way or with the SimPE 'deleter' in order to finally rid my neighborhood of them?
Again, someone needs to investigate this to see whether it's possible and whether it fixes the problem. If you have a backup of your neighborhood, and if you have determined that they are not valid sims created by your CC, then it seems like it would be worth a try. However, you'll want to test your "fixed" neighborhood to ensure that the technique worked correctly.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#78 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 8:48 PM
You have been so utterly patient with all of us asking these sometimes unanswerable questions!
I think I will bite the bullet and do a 'delete' on the 'unknowns' via SimPE-because the "Pescado Option" won't work-these are not true character files that can be done that way.
I know I'm taking a huge risk, but I will be copying the hood in it's present state before I do so-and will see if it does anything wonky afterwards.
I'll let you know how it goes..and if it goes "BOOM!" on me.
Wish me luck!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#79 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 9:50 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Oct 2011 at 10:01 PM.
I downloaded this PT hack and opened it in SimPE:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=71852

When I check out the OBJD, the GUID is displayed (see attached).

Since the creator of this specific mod listed the GUIDs used by the mod, it's easy to see that this is the correct one. The other files in that download are similar.

So, to see whether a GUID is defined in the installation files, use the search feature (explained above). To see whether a GUID is defined in CC, open the CC and look at every OBJD or use the search feature on the file.

the "Pescado Option" won't work-these are not true character files that can be done that way.
That was what I was afraid of. However, once you remove the Sim Description in SimPE, the HoodChecker should be able to tell you whether there are any lost references remaining (at least in the Relationships, Family Ties, and Memories).
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#80 Old 6th Oct 2011 at 11:57 PM
I'm back from my travails:

Attached to this post are three .TXT files that the HC did during the process:
(for your information and future reference, Mootilda,)

1. After the memories were cleaned up in SimPE, what remained to be removed.

2. What the results were after I went into SimPE and removed from the Sim Descriptions all of the "unknown"s by using the 'delete' function.

3. Final run through with the HC-completely cleaned up!

I have not played this hood again, yet-but hopefully it will work!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Merged PV SIMDATA.rar (390 Bytes, 25 downloads)
File Type: rar  Merged PV SIMDATA2.rar (1.1 KB, 15 downloads)
File Type: rar  Merged PV SIMDATA3.rar (131 Bytes, 15 downloads)
Field Researcher
#81 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
If you suspect that one of the memories that was generated in-game has been categorized incorrectly, let me know which memory it is and which category you believe that it belongs in.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been going through the Checker's report item by item. I have not seen anything to suggest that you have miscategorized any memories.

The only game play-generated memory it is flagging that I wonder about, is the "Had x friends" memory." That comes up every time with a "Subject does not exist" error.

The bizarre thing is that the game, rather than generating the subject sim, is generating some random object as the subject (see example below). To fix this, I've just been choosing the 'me' on the subject sim field to insert the subject's name, and the memory no longer gets flagged by the Checker.

This is an example of what I meant when I said Maxis did a number on its sims!

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Site Helper
Original Poster
#82 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 2:47 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Oct 2011 at 4:09 AM.
FranH, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it soon.

ilikefishfood, that's amazing. Definitely just junk. Someone should look at the BHAV which generates that memory and see what's happening. Sounds like we're in need of a bug fix.

If I remember correctly, in my testing the Subject for that memory tended to be the most recently acquired friend (ie, the one that made the achievement possible).
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 3:24 AM
Mootilda, I am sorry to bother you, but I am so confused that I need to ask somebody, somewhere, what is going on ... and you're a lot friendlier than the people at MATY.

I've run your Hood Checker (THANK YOU, by the way) and the Checker has taken care of everything it can. I'm left with the memories and am very confused about what I am supposed to do with them. Most of the memories that are showing up as problematic have to do with either an "Unexpected Sim Subject" or "Subject Does Not Exist." Furthermore, these memories all have to do with things that you listed under the "Unknown" category. I've noticed a couple of patterns:

1) Many of these memories have to do with so-and-so maxing a skill, oftentimes the Body Skill. In pretty much every instance of a maximized skill, the subject is given as the Sim him/herself. My guess is that this is because most of my Sims maximize the body skill via yoga, jogging or other non-object-based interactions. That being said, what, if anything, should I do to fix these memories?
2) The other memories all have to do with maximizing jobs, becoming an overachiever, or getting a large bonus. What would the subject of these memories be?
3) The memories that are "Invalid Data Structures" are all the "Lot-type" memories discussed above, and all are linked to my Head Witches. Maybe observation will help you as you continue to work on this program?

So, I guess my overarching question is, are these invalid subjects problems, and how should I go about fixing them?

Thanks again for this awesome program. I'm sure it's cleared up a lot of potential problems in my neighborhood.

The Chronicles of Albion: A Medieval Fantasy, Sims 2-Style
Site Helper
Original Poster
#84 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 4:06 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Oct 2011 at 6:07 AM.
No need to apologize. I understand that the HoodChecker isn't a completely polished program yet and that people are struggling with the information provided.

1) I suspect that these memories are valid. Your logic makes a lot of sense. For now, I'd suggest that you ignore these errors. I'll do some more research into the skill memories.

2) Reply #4 has a list of all memories (inside a spoiler button) and how they've been categorized. You can sort the list by clicking on the column that you want to sort. Find each memory and the first column in the list will explain which subject is expected. I've also included (in reply #4) a brief description of how to fix the different types of memories in SimPE.

Again, if you think that I've made a mistake in the memory categorization, let me know.

3) Invalid data structure means that there aren't enough data items. I'm not sure what you mean by "lot-type" memories. Could you give me the exact memory description?

Quote: Originally posted by morgaine2005
Most of the memories that are showing up as problematic have to do with either an "Unexpected Sim Subject" or "Subject Does Not Exist." Furthermore, these memories all have to do with things that you listed under the "Unknown" category. I've noticed a couple of patterns:
"Unexpected Sim Subject" means that the subject was a sim, but HC was expecting an object. "Subject does not exist" means that the subject was not a valid sim and that's what HC was expecting. Some of these are objects and some are just invalid (deleted?) SimIDs.

Memories which are categorized as "Unknown" shouldn't have any checks on the Subject of the memory at all. Again, can you give me the exact memory description? Or, are you talking about a line in the HC report which starts with "Unknown:" and then the owner's name and then "Memory(GUID)"? Those may be inventory items. Search for the GUID in SimPE to see what it is.

If the HC is reporting those without the option to "Show all memories (not just invalid ones)", then that's a bug. The HC shouldn't be reporting those.

For everyone: If you have a neighborhood with a memory which has not yet been categorized (ie, category = unknown in the list in reply #4), PLEASE give me the log file which is generated during the run. It contains information about all of the data items for the memory. The log file can be found in the same folder as the HoodChecker.exe.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#85 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 4:53 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 7th Oct 2011 at 5:44 AM.
Thanks, Mootilda. I don't know what we'd do without you.

Quote: Originally posted by morgaine2005
1) Many of these memories have to do with so-and-so maxing a skill, oftentimes the Body Skill. In pretty much every instance of a maximized skill, the subject is given as the Sim him/herself. My guess is that this is because most of my Sims maximize the body skill via yoga, jogging or other non-object-based interactions. That being said, what, if anything, should I do to fix these memories?

I'll do some more research into the skill memories.

For what it's worth, I don't think maximizing a skill via self-interactions was something EA seemed to have put a lot of thought into (I know, I know...so what else is new?). I want to say yoga is just a self-interaction, but I'm not certain off the top of my head. If I recall correctly, jogging starts out as a self-interaction but then it spawns an off-world jogging controller/object with which the Sims actually interact with. Whether they are interacting with an off-world social plugin or some other off-world object, the icon for the maximized skill memory will typically appear to be blank (at least for me)*. My conjecture was that it was because the object used to maximize the skill doesn't have anything along the lines of a mesh and isn't meant to be displayed (as opposed to a "physical object" like a treadmill which would have a thumbnail). The memory typically uses the icon for the object being used (which in a self-interaction is not really the actual Sim--the Sim is performing an interaction on an off-world object). When I told my surfing interaction to use the icon I provided, it automagically slapped it onto the 100% skill memory ("it's not a bug, it's a feature!") so that's as far as I went for confirmation. I never really looked too deep into the actually memory itself though.

I don't know if this helps or if it's really all that relevant, but I'll throw it out there just in case.

* ETA: "The full-view version of the memory has a blank icon" is what I meant. It still has the icon of the filled skill meter in the basic view.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Site Helper
Original Poster
#86 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
I don't know if this helps or if it's really all that relevant, but I'll throw it out there just in case.
Definitely helpful. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 5:55 AM
I'll check on the other memories at some point when it's not almost 1 in the morning where I am. (Messing around in SimPE, doing things I'm not familiar with, when my brain is near the shut-down point just strikes me as a bad idea.)

The lot-type memory I was referring to goes as follows:

Quote:
Invalid data structure: 0x0027 Aislin Harper: $NPCType $Subject is Familiar with Lot

It's the same type of error Nepharis mentioned in #49. Aislin Harper is one of my NPC witches. I just thought I would mention that these types of bad memories occur with my NPC witches, too.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#88 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 6:05 AM
OK. It really sounds like we've found another bug in the game, or in some CC that you two have in common. Sims shouldn't have the "Familiar with Lot" memories. Someone should check out the BHAV that generates these memories and see what it's doing.

Do you have any CC that affects the NPC witches?
Field Researcher
#89 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 10:26 AM Last edited by ilikefishfood : 7th Oct 2011 at 1:17 PM.
If I remember correctly, in my testing the Subject for that memory tended to be the most recently acquired friend (ie, the one that made the achievement possible).

Yep. The in-game memory panel displays with this memory, a picture of the most recently acquired friend.

As I mentioned I've been 'fixing' the memory by selecting the subject sim as the subject sim, ie. making it a self memory. The Checker seems happy with that.

But now I'm wondering...should I have changed he subject sim to the last acquired friend instead?

Another thing to note is that all my Maxis strays are coming up with "Incorrect Subject Instance" I don't play or have sims interact with strays. I use TJ's Visitor Controller to banish them from my lots.

I'm guessing the controller is not the cause of this memory error, as as I'd previously mentioned all Maxis YAs' memories also generate this error.

I've fixed the YAs' errors manually (by recreating them), but as I have no interest in strays, I want to just let the Hood Checker deal with them. I am curious though about what the Checker will actually do with the memories though. Will it delete them or 'fix' them?

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Top Secret Researcher
#90 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 11:58 AM
The Sims' non-zero self-relation is something that re-occurs in my game, whether the number is fixed to zero via HC or SimPE. I should say that this has been going on for years now: after a while all my Sims develop a relation with themselves counted to 66. Using HC to remove these numbers is only temporary, as it is with SimPE, mind you, because after another playing session there appears again. No boxes are checked, which is good, but I am wondering about the cause.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#91 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ilikefishfood
Will it delete them or 'fix' them?
It will fix all Subject Instance errors. Subject Instance errors are only displayed if the memory is otherwise OK.

Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
I am wondering about the cause.
We don't know the cause of the non-zero self-relations.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 3:43 PM
The only witch-related CC I have are simply default replacements for their clothing and to get rid of the skins entirely. Well, I also do have Neder's Buyable Reagents, but I don't think that would unduly affect the head witches?

My guess, glancing at some of the other memories that surrounded these invalid ones (that is, glancing at the witch's memories in SimPE, not the memories flagged by the Hood Checker), is that they appeared whenever a Sim was sent to a witch lot. But I am not a modder or a programer by any means, so take my word with the whole darn salt shaker.

I've attached both the log file and the file with all of the possible errors/hood corruption that the Hood Checker found. Hopefully more knowledgeable heads than mine can make some sense out of them.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#93 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 4:05 PM
The HC reports are useful, but the log file is the one that will let us see the actual data. The log is regenerated each time that you run the HC, and is in the same folder as the HC exe.
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Tarlia : 7th Oct 2011 at 8:38 PM.
In my game, it looks like "Got Fired" is a memory about self, not the career instance. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm also not sure Lifetime Want Achieved memories are supposed to be about self. Dora Ottomas has a 'Had X Grandchildren' memory that's marked as having a non-existent subject in the HC. The SubjectID is 0x303D707E, and the memory length is 12, not 13. I unfortunately can't remember right now, but I THINK the memory ingame has the "LTW picture" as its subject icon when you click on it. I can check that. But I believe LTW memories are actually supposed to point to the corresponding picture for the LTW.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong about Dora's memory, it has no image. So I really have no idea what's going on there. Maybe the game's code for these memories is indeed broken?

I did find another thing, and for this I have multiple examples so I'm pretty sure it's how it's supposed to be. A sim's memory of being an overachiever is supposed to link to the (teen) career they're in, not to self.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#95 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 9:41 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Oct 2011 at 10:44 PM.
OK, I'll take another look at "Got Fired" and "Was an Overachiever". I wonder whether the Overachiever memory depends upon which one of the requirements you achieved last? Most of the time, I expect that would be reaching the top of the teen career, but it could be a sim's grades as well (if I remember correctly).

In general, it seems that many of the Work (Object) memories can take self as the subject, especially with the earlier EPs. Which implies that the object memories may be more lax about subjects than the other memories. Until we get a firm grasp on these, it may make sense to allow self for all object memories.

0x303D707E is Santa Cookies. That doesn't seem right. What do Santa Cookies have to do with having grandchildren? That definitely sounds like another EA bug. where the subject is sometimes getting garbage.

Just to check: All memories were generated in-game? Any CC which might be affecting these memories? You're running using the M&G game, rather than a lower EP using the AGS?
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 7th Oct 2011 at 10:54 PM
I think all my test subjects achieved the teen career last, but one of them had a grade slip and when he got back to A+, he got a second Overachiever memory, and that one had the career as subject, too.

Haha, no, Santa Cookies doesn't seem right at all! The same seems to be the case with the 'Had a Great Anniversary Party' memory, it just assigns random garbage as the subject.

All memories are generated ingame, yes. I don't have any LTW modifying hacks (besides one that adds LTWs for the Uni careers), or anything that affects teen careers or grades. Running regular M&G.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 1:16 AM Last edited by ilikefishfood : 8th Oct 2011 at 2:25 AM.
Overachiever memory depends upon which one of the requirements you achieved last? Most of the time, I expect that would be reaching the top of the teen career, but it could be a sim's grades as well (if I remember correctly).

Yep...The overachiever memory is generated when a teen reaches the top of a career path AND has an A+ or the other way around. So yes, it can come after the grade achievement.

Some of mine were flagged by the HC, and I just changed the subject to the subject sm and all was well. I did wonder why only some were flagged, but I'm guessing they were the ones generated by the career achievement coming last.

0x303D707E is Santa Cookies. That doesn't seem right. What do Santa Cookies have to do with having grandchildren? That definitely sounds like another EA bug. where the subject is sometimes getting garbage.

This was the weirdness I was getting for the LTW of getting X number of friends. As per the picture in my post above (#81)...that example had the subject object of a volcano lamp...but the memory has generated all manner of buyable objects.

These are all game-play generated memories. Go figure!

EDITED TO ADD ANOTHER FINDING:

The Repoman memory is not working properly. I had some manually created repoman memories that were flagged by the checker. I had created them making the repoman as the subject sim.

I tried to fix them by using the GUID you listed for the repoman memory 0x0C8CC811. That didn't work, but I realized the subject sim's instance was in data field 12, so I removed the field. But HC was still flagging it.

I then tried to get HC to fix, it but it was still getting flagged!

I then remembered that Nina Caliente came with a repoman memory. When I checked hers, it's a self sim memory. She is listed as the subject sim, her GUID is in fields 6 and 5, and her instance number in field 12.

So I did that on my sim that was giving problems, and it worked! HC gave it the all clear.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#98 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 4:17 AM
What was the error message for the Repoman memory?
Field Researcher
#99 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 5:11 AM
What was the error message for the Repoman memory?

Sorry! First I got the error on the memory I'd created using SimPe, in which I'd made the actual repoman the subject:

"Owner and Subject are different: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: 0x060E Alec Deppiesse)"

Then I fixed it manually, replacing data 6 and 5 with the GUID you provided for the repoman! memory, and removed data 12 which contained the subject sim's instance...and got this:

"Subject does not exist: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: SimID=0x0C8CC811)"

I ran HC to fix all memories and it still generated the same error as the manually fixed one: ie.

" Subject does not exist: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: SimID=0x0C8CC811)"

Is that the info you're looking for?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#100 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 12:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Oct 2011 at 12:40 PM.
The Repoman memory is not working properly. I had some manually created repoman memories that were flagged by the checker. I had created them making the repoman as the subject sim. [The error message was] "Owner and Subject are different: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: 0x060E Alec Deppiesse)"
According to the memory categories list in reply #4:
Self 0x0C8CC811 Repoman! Memory - Wealth - Repoman

This is the explanation in that post for a memory about Self:
Quote:
Memory about Self:
These are memories which require the valid Owner as both the Subject and Subject Instance. If this is a memory, click Me for the Owner and Me for the "Subject...Sim:" in the SimPE Memory Properties window. If this is gossip, ensure that the Owner and Subject...Sim refer to the same sim.
The HC was complaining because you were using the repoman as the subject sim, but the HC expected the memory Owner as the Subject sim. Therefore, the HC seems to be working correctly when it tells you that the problem is that the Owner and Subject are different.
I tried to fix them by using the GUID you listed for the repoman memory 0x0C8CC811. [The error message was] "Subject does not exist: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: SimID=0x0C8CC811)"
Since this is a memory about self, it makes sense that using the memory GUID as the Subject would be incorrect. Therefore, the HC correctly flagged this as invalid when it tells you that the Subject (SimID=0x0C8CC811) does not exist. Since 0x0C8CC811 is the memory GUID, it can't possibly be a valid Sim.
That didn't work, but I realized the subject sim's instance was in data field 12, so I removed the field. But HC was still flagging it. I then tried to get HC to fix, it but it was still getting flagged! [The error message was] " Subject does not exist: 0x063C Arcadia Fancey: Repoman! (Subject: SimID=0x0C8CC811)"
Since the correct Subject must be the memory Owner and you haven't changed the Subject, the HC is still correctly flagging this memory as invalid. Again, it is telling you that the Subject SimID=0x0C8CC811 does not exist.
I then remembered that Nina Caliente came with a repoman memory. When I checked hers, it's a self sim memory. She is listed as the subject sim, her GUID is in fields 6 and 5, and her instance number in field 12.

So I did that on my sim that was giving problems, and it worked! HC gave it the all clear.
It sounds like the HC is working correctly. It gave you reasonable error messages for this memory until you correctly set this memory as a memory about self.

The error message gives you information about what's wrong with the memory. If you don't understand the error message that the HC is giving you, then it should help to look up the memory in the memory category list and then follow the instructions given for that memory type.

I can see only one change which might make sense: For a memory about self, the HC is obviously first checking whether the Subject is a valid sim, then checking whether the Subject is the Owner. Perhaps the HC should skip the first test and just do the second one.
Page 4 of 18