Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Third Person Mod

by QuackGames Posted 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:04 PM - Updated 8th Aug 2019 at 1:54 PM by QuackGames

281 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 180 Feedback Posts, 100 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 12
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 9:55 AM
Russian translation here :)
Wow, amazing mod. But the camera jerking a little.
By tradition, the russian translation is attached to the message.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ThirdPersonStrings_RU.zip (1.0 KB, 29 downloads)
Description: Already built in, don't download.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fluse
The german translation can't be downloaded and I don't know why ):

Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I translated your mod to Spanish, my native language. I kept it as neutral as possible so it should work for both Spanish and Mexican Spanish.

Quote: Originally posted by SecretX
Here is a French translation for your awesome job !

Quote: Originally posted by Knight
By tradition, the russian translation is attached to the message.

Done, done, done, and done! Thank you guys for your translations!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#28 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:15 AM
Looks like my download file works now. very good^^ It seems like I double-posted, is it a mistake from my browser? (it also shows 24 comments, but obviously there are more now. Anyways, thank you for this awesome mod, QuackGames <3
I haven't tried it yet, but will definitely test it as soon as I am finished with my CAW project (:
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#29 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 11:11 AM
Woah! This looks amazing! It's like the old console games!
Test Subject
#30 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 11:30 AM
First off I wanna say this is super awesome!!! If a Sim goes into a body of water with their regular clothes on, they get the soaked moodlet, pretty nice. The only problem I'm seeing is it's very hard to navigate Sims in this mode, because the camera POV likes to go behind walls. Thankfully I discovered the regular UI is still available, it helps as far as needs go. This mod is super awesome, and an idea I never thought could be done, at least not it The Sims 3 engine. This is super neat and cool!!! I love it, great work!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#31 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 12:01 PM Last edited by SarteLindsay : 4th Apr 2019 at 2:58 PM.
This seems really cool! I have a question: would first-person also be possible?

Edit: I tried out the mod, and I like it. But my sim's animations stutter. I don't know if it has something to do with my fps (the highest I can get most of the time is 30fps) but the stuttering only happens when in third person. Her animations are normal when outside TPM (or when I command her to do something in TPM like "sit")

Also she glitched out of the world when she used her car in TPM. I had to use resetsim to get her back (and her car got stuck in the road so I also had to use Nraas's reset everything)

Great mod otherwise. It's not something I thought was possible at all. I look forward to it's improvements!

Edit #2: Also, sometimes sims (even with autonomy off) will walk by themselves to another place (not really far from where they came from) even without having an action queued. This makes them a bit more harder to control (especially since it's not obvious if they're moving because of you or they're moving by themselves) I want to know if it's possible to stop this?
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#32 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:20 PM
Wha???????? Are you serious?? This is awesome!!!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#33 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:30 PM
I have a question, How did you even do this in TS3? Like making the UI transparent when you go into the mode, or even making the sims controllable in the first place! And why did you do this for TS3, not for TS4, a game which is much more popular and will probably have a bigger audience if there was a sims 4 third person mod?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:57 PM Last edited by QuackGames : 4th Apr 2019 at 4:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SarteLindsay
Edit: I tried out the mod, and I like it. But my sim's animations stutter. I don't know if it has something to do with my fps (the highest I can get most of the time is 30fps) but the stuttering only happens when in third person. Her animations are normal when outside TPM (or when I command her to do something in TPM like "sit")

That's actually the result of directly changing a Sim's direction mid-animation. The game kinda has a delay for fixing the direction, which is an engine limitation and there's really nothing I can do about it. I had to decide either stuttered movement or stuttered animations, I went with stuttered animations. It's barely noticeable if you have decent enough fps, I believe the less fps you have, the more noticeable it becomes.

Edit #2: Also, sometimes sims (even with autonomy off) will walk by themselves to another space (not really far from where they came from) even without having an action queued. This makes them a bit more harder to control (especially since it's not obvious if they're moving because of you or they're moving by themselves) I want to know if it's possible to stop this?

Yea, the game kind of randomly routes your Sim somewhere sometimes. When they're idling they tend to wade around. I could not find a way to stop that, since they do it even with autonomy off. So best thing to do in that situation is to just let the Sim reach their destination, wherever it may be. When they stop you try to control them again.

Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
I have a question, How did you even do this in TS3? Like making the UI transparent when you go into the mode, or even making the sims controllable in the first place! And why did you do this for TS3, not for TS4, a game which is much more popular and will probably have a bigger audience if there was a sims 4 third person mod?

I actually did this as a challenge to myself. I was playing The Sims Castaway for the PS2 (blast from the past moment) and I thought how cool those controls would be for a modern The Sims, so I searched the internet for a mod that would do that, and found nothing. Instead I found some people in forums saying that this could never be possible, modders wouldn't be able to do that, etc. First thing that came to my mind was "Challenge accepted!".

I have a lot of experience dealing with game engines. I mean, I'm an indie developer, I make games for a living, so I kinda need to know how game engines work. I've been back and forth between Unity, Unreal, Godot and other game engines for my games. So this kind of general knowledge makes me able to quickly adapt to any engine I decide to mess with, even those which completely lacks documentation, like The Sims 3 engine.

So yeah, one week later and here we are. I went for The Sims 3 simply because of it's open world nature, so I think roaming around the world in third person would be more fun in The Sims 3 than in any other The Sims game. I might consider making one of these for The Sims 4, depending on how well this goes and if people really want it.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 3:59 PM
Thanks for the answers! Also, do you think you'll make it so that we can move around the camera? That'd be really nice.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#36 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 4:14 PM
Thank you for the mod! Amazing to see that there's still so much potential in TS3!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 4:36 PM
This is so cool! Do you think it'd be possible to / do you have the time and the interest required for a similar mod but in the first person instead?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 4:36 PM
Thanks for the answers! Also, do you think you'll make it so that we can move around the camera? That'd be really nice.

Done! Just updated it with that functionality. You can redownload the mod to get the camera controls. The arrow keys will rotate the camera around, aswell as the "," and "." keys. You can also move the mouse to the edges of the screen to rotate the camera while in third person, and use the mouse wheel to control the zoom.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:02 PM
Wow, just tried it out. Major sims 3 wii vibes. Thanks for your hard work!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#40 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:11 PM
This is insane! Thanks sooo much! I didn't even realize I needed this mod until now!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#41 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:42 PM
Omg, this is so awesome! Amazing work :)
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:49 PM
hey thanks for this mod! hopefully this could also be for sims 4???

The Sims 1: The gameplay was good, many things to do if you have all expansion packs. 5/10
The Sims 2: Great for machinima, not gameplays 9/10
The Sims 3: Great Gameplay 7/10
The Sims 4: Improving but so far 8/10
Instructor
THANKS POST
#43 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 7:15 PM
Thank you so much! I always wished for such a mod
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#44 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 8:04 PM
Seriously, that's awesome. Congratulations!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 8:35 PM
I've never been shocked for a mod ever before. I LOVE THIS!!!! Can it be done in The Sims 4? it will be much more mainstream and will be really nice! Thanks for this!!!! Can this even be possible to be made in the sims 4?
Site Helper
THANKS POST
#46 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 8:51 PM
This is a wonderful idea!
Test Subject
#47 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:19 PM
My new computer does not have the function keys (i.e. F1, F2, etc). Is there any way to use this mod on new sty keyboards?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#48 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:35 PM
This is absolutely amazing, I had a blast trying it out today. I love it so extremely much.
You should consider making it for Sims 4 someday soon! that'd be absolutely fun and immersive, considering Sims 4 runs smoother for a lot of people, including myself. Walking around in WASD is something I've always wanted to do on the Sims, and you made that possible!!! Really talented! Even though Sims 4 is not open world, being able to run around the sections of the gorgeous worlds and even inside houses or museums/restaurants/etc would be much more fun with the WASD feature!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raycee
My new computer does not have the function keys (i.e. F1, F2, etc). Is there any way to use this mod on new sty keyboards?

Wait, what? I've never heard of a keyboard without the function keys. This is really strange for me. I mean, are you really sure they're not there? I've searched around and found that in some cases these keys are "hidden" in the keyboard, maybe that's your case.

Quote:
Look closely at the boards and you will see (at least on non blank boards) the f1-f12 written on the number keys. Many times they are on the front of the caps.
To make the keys on the function key row work they press the special function key that is usually on either side of the space bar plus the number key that has the fn key they wish to use. This is also how you get to the other missing physical keys like Home, End, Pause etc.
Think of how a laptop keyboard works.. They have all these special functions like brightness up/down, back lighting etc that you access by hitting the FN key on the keyboard + the key that has what you want to do printed on it.

If they're really not there (which is, again, very strange), unfortunately there is no other way as of right now to access the mod. Do look closely and tell me if you find them. If you don't, PM me and I can make a custom version for you with a different hotkey assigned.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#50 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:44 PM
I Love It Thank U So Muuuuuch
Page 2 of 12