Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 7:24 PM Last edited by Echo : 27th Jan 2009 at 6:08 AM.
Default Accessory Spawner
Found it! Thanks, Numemor!

Now, if I copy just the Accessory Spawn Cheat OBJD into my HackLib.package [without changing the Group, Instance, or GUIDs] and edit the Catalog Sort, will that make this object buyable?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 3:52 AM
Ok, I`ve tried that: I copied the OBJD into a seperate package file, and edited the catalog placement without changing the Group, Instance, or GUIDs involved.

The file shows up in my Custom Content dialog on game-startup, but it does NOT show up as overriding anything, and I have NOT found the object anywhere in my catalog. I have also attempted to spawn the object from Testing Mode, and nothing [visible] spawns.

Numenor, I know that you have done this kind of thing before, as I have a number of your "Lost & Found" objects, or "Lost Treasures" as I like to call them. Have you posted a tutorial somewhere here on MTS2?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 6:09 AM
General - I've split this off the original thread, since creating Lost & Found packages isn't really related to the original "Enumerate Objects of a Type" question, and is worthy of discussion in its own right.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 7:30 PM
Thanks, Echo. Now, does anyone know the answers to any of my questions?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:47 AM
Try cloning the whole thing, just to make sure that all the necessary files are actually in there. Use the "group" in advanced mode Object Workshop.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 2:42 AM
Will do. I`m not that familiar with cloning, however, so I might botch the job Royally. Would you be OK with me posting my resulting package here for review?

Slippery When Wet
#7 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 5:46 AM Last edited by tunaisafish : 5th Feb 2009 at 5:23 AM.
Hi General,

I knew I'd done this already, but had misplaced the file.
I had this installed while testing before I knew that it's available anyway in testing cheats mode.

I don't know if you did something wrong while trying to make it buyable, so try the attached. It should look like a toybox found under misc/misc.

Edit: Removed download that would probably have only worked in AL+
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 6:27 PM
Thanks, tunaisafish; I`ll download that and compare it to my file. What I did is pretty much exactly what I posted in what is now Post 2 of this thread; here it is again, in more detail: I found the object in the game file with SimPE, exported the OBJD to an XML file, created a new empty package, imported the XML file, made sure that the resulting OBJD record used the same identification tags as the original, and edited the catalog placement. My file contains only the modified OBJD record, and I`m pretty sure all I edited was the catalog placement. I`ll attach it here, so you can see for yourself.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: zip ExtractedObjects.IKEA.zip

Slippery When Wet
#9 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 10:56 PM
Yep, you did it right. Yours shows up too and I could buy it in my game.

So perhaps not all the files are actually there for Ikea as Echo suggests.
As Ikea is based on the Pets engine, it might not appear in that EP either.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 2:40 AM
I extracted mine from the IKEA Home Stuff objects.package, like I was told in the thread this was split off from. Mine shows up in the startup Custom Content dialog, but withOUT the <!> warning that it overrides game stuff. Now that I have Seasons added to the mix, do you think my version will show up for me?

Hmm, I notice that we both made zip files, and that my archive is about 24 bytes smaller than yours, and I don`t recall seeing anything different between yours and mine in SimPE, either. Any idea why yours is bigger?

Also, once I get this working, even if I can`t get it working for THIS object, I was intending to extract other OBJD records and edit catalog placements for other objects, too, especially any I could find that had NO catalog placement. You might have been able to guess this from the name of the file I uploaded.

Thinking "out loud" here: If I`m right, I should be able to make buyable things that currently have NO OBJD record by copying a suitable OBJD and modifying it. No?

Slippery When Wet
#11 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 4:22 AM
The size is probably to do with version. I remember seeing a thread here somewhere about watching the version number if you want an object to be as compatible as possible. So EA might have updated the Accessory spawner for some reason.
I'll add a link here later if/when I find it.
here it is

All objects should have an OBJD file. Otherwise they'd have no GUID
So it will just be a case of finding them in the objects file.

Just thought of another reason it may not be showing up.
Check what 'required EP' flags are set in the Ikea OBJD file.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 4:34 AM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 5th Feb 2009 at 5:00 AM.
I don`t happen to have SimPE loaded up right now. I`ll load it up, and get back to you with my results. Just to clarify, you are refering to the Expansions Required in the OBJD in the IKEA objects.package file, nyet?

Interesting observation regarding the OBJD and GUID. So what does it mean if I *do* find an object without an OBJD? That EA/Maxis screwed up and failed to delete something properly?

Edit: **VERY** interesting thread! It doesn`t address my question, but it certainly does relate to the answer to my question! Subscribed! [SimPE hasn`t finished loading yet as I type this.]

Edit: SimPE made a liar of me as I saved that! Anyway, I found the relavent OBJD in the IKEA objects.package file, and the only fields that I can find that appear to be even close to "required EP flags" are as follows:

0x0040: Valid EP Flags 1 0x0040
0x0041: Valid EP Flags 2 0x0000

1. Is this what I`m supposed to be looking for?
2. Are these the values you expected me to find?

Slippery When Wet
#13 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 5:22 AM Last edited by tunaisafish : 5th Feb 2009 at 5:41 AM.
Yes! That says it needs Pets installed

Change that to 0 and it should work.
Use your Ikea version, not mine. I'll remove the AL one now anyway as this is solved.

Oh yeah, sorry about the name confusion but I didn't have SimPE open either

ETA: Re. the other question about finding hidden partially made objects.
It wouldn't surprize me if you did is all I can say. I know I've seen code that has absolutely no purpose, or is never actually called.
I tend to think of those bits as Easter Eggs for modders rather than broken stuff.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 5:34 PM
Meanwhile, I have opened IKEA objects.package again, selected the OBJD records from the Resource Types list, sorted that by Group, and scanned sequentially through the list for the first No Catalog Placement record I could find, processed that record similarly, and now have an Accessory Spatula buyable in my game.

Since I am extracting stuff from the *IKEA* objects.package, I`d like to flag the objects as requiring IKEA, but I`ve forgotten where to find the list of what to put there for each expansion. Can you help with that?

"ETA"? Estimated Time of Arrival? I know that Numenor has found a bunch of them, and reconstructed the missing pieces for us. Yeah, "Easter Eggs" is another term for this kind of stuff. I like "Lost Treasures", myself, thinking of a game package that was available for a while [I never got it myself, though] called "The Lost Treasures of Infocom".