Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 10:50 AM
Default About TTAB Values For Settings&Motives
I have a ton of questions about Pie Menu Functions resource - specifically: Settings and Motives tabs.
Since it would be difficult to say which info I need the most, I'll start with only the current issues.

There will probably be more questions soon - darn my newbieness - so here's only the first batch.
1. Under "Motives" Type, Personality types, skills and motives have documented values.
Are there known values for aspirations here?

2. In general, is there anything else for "types"? Like those (already asked about) aspirations or pet personality types (Aggressive, Goofy, Genius, etc.)? Hobbies?

3. What does "Mood+Memory" as a "motive" listed mean?

4. What are the best values for motive advertisement?
I know that a 100 will draw them to the object for satisfaction of that motive. But I saw values as small as 5.
Best choice?

From Wiki for: allow nested
Quote:
Either another interaction can be nested within this, or it can be nested

From Wiki for: nest
Quote:
Either this interaction should be nested, or it can be nested

Are these "eithers" signs of insecurity/insufficient knowledge or of a choice I could make?
What does "nesting" an interaction entail with regards to TTAB itself?
Are nested functions connected in that the "nest" is ticked in one opposed to "allow nested" ticked in other?
Do any values need to be entered, and where - in addition to ticking the box?

6. To clarify "nest" further - is watching TV from a sofa an example of a "nested" interaction?

I'll be eternally grateful for any answers

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Oct 2012 at 2:22 AM
I'll preface this saying that I'm by no means an expert in Sim autonomy.

1-3. I don't know. The wiki and the "Help" button in the TTAB's plugin-view seem to have the only documented information I can find. You're certainly welcome to experiment and try to figure out some values. Sometimes EA would make something, like a skill or motive, and then scrap it....and sometimes they'll pick up those pieces and change it into something else. So the "Selfish (probably unused)" Type may have no effect or it may actually be something (just misrepresented as whatever EA originally intended with "Selfish"). I don't know about the memory part, but the mood may refer to the Sim's aspiration bar or their mood bar which is colored according their overall physical condition.

4. It really depends upon your intentions. How attractive do you want the object to appear and to whom? For example, consider two interactions: "watch grass grow" and "watch paint dry." If watching grass had a Fun value of 10 and watching paint had a Fun value of 15, then my Sim is going to have more fun watching paint dry. He can have fun by either interactions, but one appears to be more rewarding than the other. More is not necessarily better though; if I wanted watching grass grow to be boring, I've done well to give it a low value.

5-6. It may be uncertainty; I'm not really sure. There seems to be a whiff of intending their to be some inclusion in their meaning. I'll explain. You can direct your Sim to relax on their bed. If there is a TV present, you can have them watch TV while they are relaxing on the bed. You will see "Relax" icon in their queue has a little off-shoot for the "Watch TV" action. This is a nested interaction. If your Sim changes the channel, that may be a nested action upon a nested action: Relax > Watch TV > Change Channel. So "Relax" allows the nesting of "Watch TV" which allows the nesting of "Change Channel". So in that case "Watch TV" may have both "allow nested" and "nest" checked. Another source of nesting interactions would be the hot tub.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong about something...

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Oct 2012 at 3:38 AM Last edited by Simsica : 12th Oct 2012 at 6:09 AM.
Thanks for the answer, MSD.
I've concluded that aspirations, since they're there from the very start, were never intended to be represented here as types. And even if those "unused" values were now used they'd most probably represent something from later EPs.
This is a sad fact, IMHO, cause what is a greater motivator for a TS2 Sim if not its aspiration?

Nesting, though, that will be tried out as soon as I find time for that. Wouldn't it be cool to make them eat and watch TV at the same time? Or have a cup of coffee and watch TV? Or sit on the sofa/chair/etc. and listen to radio music?

About motives and their values: I was after the *standard* values - what are the normal values for these motives?
If you give an object 100 in Bladder, the Sim would use that object (no matter what it was!) for bladder satisfaction until it pees itself. This is useful for some types of hacks.

But what are the standard values? Around 20? 50? Is *20* here the same as *2* for motive satisfaction on the items in catalog? +2 Fun in catalog = 20 in TTAB?
ETA: Just to clarify - I don't mean to say that the catalog value is in any way set by these values in TTAB - I just want to know if a value of "20" is the same numerical value (as far as motives advertisement/satisfaction is concerned) as is catalog's "2"? Or the primitive 0x001D's values (Set Motive Change)?

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥