Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 11:15 AM Last edited by Lethe_s : 9th Dec 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Default A question on greenhouses
Hi,

i've been messing around with greenhouse walls, trying to make diagonals with them.
To do so, my initial plan was to take a fence and turn it into a greenhouse.
The good news is that this works. It's possible to take a fence and make it loadbearing, and then if you add flooring on top it will keep out the snow (something normal fences don't do).

However, according to my tests, as soon as you add the 'isgreenhouse' function in the fence xml, it stops being able to build diagonally. The 'isgreenhouse' function is necessary for anything to grow in the greenhouse. without it, the game thinks anything within the fence is indoors, and you can plant tomatoes, but they won't actually grow.

Am i right in assuming that 'cannot build diagonally' and 'isgreenhouse' are somehow linked? Cause that seems a bit odd to me, and it would make any 'normal' diagonal greenhouse wall impossible.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Hi,
However, according to my tests, as soon as you add the 'isgreenhouse' function in the fence xml, it stops being able to build diagonally. The 'isgreenhouse' function is necessary for anything to grow in the greenhouse. without it, the game thinks anything within the fence is indoors, and you can plant tomatoes, but they won't actually grow.

I tried experimernting with what you have said.
But i found my sims tomato plants did grow in doors and were harvestable and sellable.
I tried a normal greenhouse except it had two walls to create a bay style end to the greenhouse built against a house wall.
And i also tried a free standing 4 walled room.
i do have 4 hacks i am using but i dont think they would have an effect on the kind of room.

MQ_Garden_Plants_Reminder
MQ_Garden_Trees_Reminder
MQ_Harvest_Life_Stages_Hack
MQ_Harvest_Yield_Hack

Or am i totally misinterpretating what you have said so far.

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like

Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Dec 2007 at 10:19 AM
Hi Mike19,

I experimented a bit further with this, and it seems that it's perfectly possible to make tomatoes grow indoors, as long as you put the garden lamps in.
This is something I hadn't thought about before, but that HP pointed out.
I've been testing with several different setups, but none had the grow lamps. I also have no hacks in my test game.

Now that I know how to make plants grow indoor, i'm afraid the greenhouse is becoming a bit redundant, since it's possible to make windows that look like greenhouse walls, but that will work in all versions of the game, and that do allow diagonals.
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Dec 2007 at 12:59 PM
atleast i wasn't completly baffled and misinterpretating what you said.
Good luck

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like