Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 1:25 PM
Default Meshing a new Distant Terrain, need ideas.
So hey, I'm really itching to make a world that looks and feels more like the place I live in. I like the whole mountainous neighbourhoods and all, but I want it closer to home.

Now, one way of course is the distant terrain and I'm looking at ideas and ways to mesh a distant terrain that would give me a skyline like this:

And also add a city in the distance. I've been working with a model I downloaded from 3Dvia.com. But what I really like to go for is that densely built world look. I was thinking of having low polygon objects of houses spread around in the distance, like so:

So, any ideas how I would go about this, meshing wise? Maybe make a hill base in polygons and use billboards for the buildings (billboarding is thin polygons where the texture gives the illusion of an object).

I am SO BAD at making decisions, I always freeze up :D
Screenshots

This space intentionally left blank...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 1:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about that until after I have finished my world and could then scale the Distant Terrain Mesh to match up accordingly. Or (which I think a simpler solution) is to make your world the maximum size, mask the camera from viewing the borders, and then scale your Terrain Mesh to fit that. It would enable you to work on your Terrain Project without worrying about perimeter issues.

Now, if you're perhaps wondering just how to texture a sky/scenery box, here's a good tutorial: http://sites.google.com/site/canadi.../skyboxtutorial

The mesh is easy, just make a large box primitive. You can find textures made specifically for sky-boxes, if interested, since the textures are a bit tricky...

I would render the city you have in Max (you use Max, right?) and then use that as my texture.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 10:17 AM Last edited by Nukael : 2nd Jul 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Cool idea, and then use transparency to make sure the actual game sky still shows up! I'm gonna try experimenting with that :D

Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 5:27 PM
Yep, good luck ^^
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 1:12 PM
you could use EA's create a world tool?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 1:39 PM
Not if your game is patched up to date...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 1:57 PM
Of course I'm gonna use CAW if I'm making a world It's just I want to make a world where you get the impression it goes on forever in every direction without it being mountains.
I have a separate pc (my old one) where I've got CAW installed and the basegame without the crippling patch. I was all excited but the old pc isn't strong enough, and chokes on CAW (sad face).