Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 12:30 AM
Default Have any of your Sims had birth control failure?
I have ACR installed with birth control on setting, and it has only happened to me once. I did let my Sim keep the pregnancy because both the husband and wife were family Sims, so it was a happy surprise. Has this happened to anyone else?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 12:37 AM
If I remember right, there is a small chance (1-5% I think) of Sims getting pregnant from "risky" woohoo even with birth control turned on.

I had an ooops risky woohoo baby from Goneril and Albany Capp. I had birth control turned on for both, but she still got pregnant when she was 11 days away from elder. I let her keep it, and she gave birth to a baby boy. Good grief that boy was ugly.
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 12:46 AM
After his wife died, I let my DTUG sim get together with a younger woman, but as he'd already had 6 children (5 by his first wife and one from abduction) I automatically put her on birth control. However, despite many attempts where it worked, she then DID have a failure. But then tragedy struck - she had a miscarriage in the second trimester and cried for hours

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 4:20 AM
I have had it happen with Inteen...with the no-fail birth control installed. On one occasion my Sim wound up with twins. I just shrugged and figured, oh well, another child in the family. Made it interesting!

Never happened to any college students.

It's been suggested that because I have the combo packs, Inteen might be a little wonky.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 4:46 AM
5 of my couples have had "accidental" birth's. I have to admit that I raised the risky woohoo chance to 30% after reading that the national average (in the US) of unplanned pregnancies was 49%.

It's your life, live it your way!
Want to see what else I make, go to www.rlm-soft.com and check it out.
Find out what's happening with Sim Tracker
---
Forum Resident
#6 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 12:55 PM
I've had pregnancies from risky woohoo (in my Prosperity 'hood, I seem to get at least one college pregnancy each rotation thanks also to InTeen). Generally in my regular 'hoods everyone can afford children, so some families do end up with more children than I had planned, especially when Trips&Quads kicks in and gives me multiples.

I've never had a pregnancy from failed birth control, largely because if I feel a sim/sim family has had enough children, I set them to disallow pregnancy to avoid any more risky babies appear.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Instructor
#7 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 6:35 PM
I think it has only happend once for me (from ACR´s risky woohoo). It was Cornwall and Regan Capp. They already had one child, but since I gave Regan family as second aspiration she was only happy about it. I think it´s possible to adjust the odds to get pregnant from risky woohoo, so I might make them a bit higher - randomness´s always interesting.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 6:39 PM
It happened in my game, today! I couldn't believe it, because I had set the BC to on, and while the other one was 'can get pregnant', I'd never had it happen-didn't even have to set the risky woohoo odds.
Of course the pair that got into this jam had been making like rabbits for nearly all day-and I only found out when they woke up at 3 am (which my game does not normally allow-having a mod that makes them sleep through the night)-and she started showing.

Boy, what a surprise that is-because they have 3 teens!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 7:32 PM
I had my first surprise ACR pregnancy fairly recently, with a Romance sim. I always have autonomous Try for Baby turned off for non-married sims, and birth control is always on, but I'd left the default chance of birth control failure alone.

In my game, even romance sims are required to contribute their genetics to at least one child, so this surprise was a happy one. It really was totally unexpected (I tend to forget that the birth control can fail), and I loved having the game choose for me when this sim would become a mother, and with which of her numerous lovers.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It happened in my game, today! I couldn't believe it, because I had set the BC to on, and while the other one was 'can get pregnant', I'd never had it happen-didn't even have to set the risky woohoo odds.
Of course the pair that got into this jam had been making like rabbits for nearly all day-and I only found out when they woke up at 3 am (which my game does not normally allow-having a mod that makes them sleep through the night)-and she started showing.

Boy, what a surprise that is-because they have 3 teens!

try to balance the ratio of boys to girls in that family of yours then, its a chance, unless you didnt save your game.

i think ACR makes the game even more realistic, i.e. with addition of ACR and Birth Control and Risky Woohoo, it is true that couples do have children at a late time in their lives, whether they planned for it or not.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 9:38 PM
Good grief, yes, a few times it's happened to me! Once was straight after I put one of my sims on birth control, next thing I know it's popped up that she's pregnant! I swear the game knows sometimes...

Most of my sims are on birth control now, at least the ones that have one child already. I am a bit mean and make them take the morning after pill if I get any unwanted pregnancies nowadays, because otherwise I'd have too many sims.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 11:08 PM
The setting for unplanned pregnancy potential can be changed to 0%, if one wants to avoid this possibility altogether.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 3:43 AM
"try to balance the ratio of boys to girls in that family of yours then, its a chance, unless you didnt save your game."

Oh, I saved it all right-but with my luck, she'll probably end up having twins, triplets or even quads! It will be interesting to say the least. To make it even more intriguing, I've got a hack that speeds up the pregnancy from the normal 72 hours to 18, and thus the next time I go into the household, I will find out what she spawned. The family has 2 girls and a boy now, plus a sister-in-law residing with them.

I'm kinda forgiving on the unplanned part-I mean, they were really trying for something, as I can figure it (even without the family aspiration)-which means if I did anything to stop it, those sims would be so disappointed, right? So why not go with the flow?

I just hope I have enough room for the cribs if she does have more than one. Of course she's showing as being only with 1 child, but we all know what that hack will surprise us with, don't we?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 4:24 AM
Yea, ACR is great. But I've been haveing problems setting it lately. And I used to be able to do a "pregnancy scan" and it would include pregnant pets - but not any more. And once a "scan" didn't show a pregnancy, and then she got a pregnancy bump, and it was too late to take the "morning after" pill. I usually have the problem of NO "casual" pregnancies, and even when I crank the chances up, their display still says "try for baby: no". So I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:58 PM
Once. Happened with two college Sims. Who already had a (planned) kid. And these suckers had the nerve to have twins.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 11:20 PM
I really need to get around to installing ACR into my game.
Test Subject
#17 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 3:55 PM
Well, it just happened to me. My sim was on birth control (My Biological Clock from Inteen...). So now I have an elderly couple with a toddler. "Glad" to see I'm not the only one, I guess... :/
Scholar
#18 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 5:40 PM
mhm, You know life happens

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 6:31 PM
In my BACC neighborhood, I think there's one who cheated on her fiance with another man and had twins.
In my Uberhood, Don managed to get Chloe Curious and Kaylynn Langerak pregnant, and Bianca got pregnant with Oberon's kid.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 10:18 PM Last edited by Bigsimsfan12 : 28th Dec 2021 at 10:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
(edit) I hate to be the big bad wolf here but I have to say the sims are not real people, birth control is used in real life for people who don't want to use condoms and want to go skin to skin, I find it odd people want sims to feel that same ____________ um type of birth control when try for baby is already an option as well as regular woohooing

why have this mod in the game I ask?

(1) That was a really odd assumption to make. People use birth control for lots of different reasons. Personally I preferred it to ovarian cysts and bleeding continuously for 3 months but that's just me
(2) People use these mods for a sense of realism, surprise or just because its part of a larger mod they wanted in their game.

I have risky woohoo in my game because I want my game to imitate real life and I don't like having to dictate when my sims have children or how many. I want my romance sims to risk having to raise a baby, it creates drama and helps stock my orphanages also I use birth control as part of Inteen's biological clock to imitate infertility (or my family sims are running a little wild with ACR and I need to stop them before they take over the neighbourhood).

To stay true to the thread; I accidentally set the risky woohoo chance a little too high once and during a sorority party all 3 sorority sisters got pregnant. 1 had twins.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 9:07 PM
It happened to me at least once when I meant to do woohoo and selected TFB by mistake in a family not quite ready for the baby.I thankfully use a Mod to make sure that mistake isn't repeated unless I wanted to for story purposes.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Jan 2022 at 3:57 PM
I didn't download InTeen for the birth control mod but it was like a happy little surprise for me (The way I play, Sim teenage stage covers YA too with years 11-25, and no way were some of my Family sims waiting til age 25 to start their broods!).

I LOVE seeing babies born and genetics fuse and generations pass through, but I also like to play with a sense of realism - so my Knowledge, Romance and Fortune sims are way less likely to have kids because they're pretty reliable with their birth control. But when an accident happens, it's like a little treat for me to get to play through that storyline. It might not make any difference to the sims themselves but it spices up this player's experience :D

(On the flipside, it also came with the miscarriage option... which I accept also as a dose of reluctant realism but makes me go 'dangit!')