Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:02 PM
Default Is it possible to merge primary neighborhoods?
Is it possible to add a primary neighborhood such as Riverblossom Hills into another like Pleasantview? I understand that a lot of identifiers would need to be remapped. But it's a lot and I don't know where to begin even. How challenging would that be?

I don't feel that an entirely separate universe with its own downtown and university, and same townies is warranted. It would create bloat on disk, be confusing and undeveloped. There is an annoying open spot for Open For Business, but I do not like the architecture and faces in Bluewater Village. I think it would be cool if we could travel to the countryside occasionally and experience Seasons properly. In my game, people have localized populations for P/v, Downtown, and Academy of Tour, and avoid mixing. This would allow R/H to feel distant enough.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:39 PM
I'd say it can be done, but you have got to do it right the first time or else you will have a VBT happen to your game.

Just because it could possibly be done does not mean it should be...

I wouldn't do it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:51 PM
Direct merging - no. Don't try that. It sounds like a recipe for the Big Fiery Ball Visible from Space.

However, you can download subhood versions of all the Maxis neighborhoods, install them in your templates folder next to Bluewater, install a mod by Mootilda which allows you to choose from among multiple options when adding a subhood, and play Pleasantview + Riverblossom Hills. Some of the base neighborhoods now have a lot of different versions - with and without townies, with corrected genetics, updated for later expansions, etc. - but the only one a quick search located for me of Riverblossom is Tarlia's original, found here: https://meetmetotheriver.tumblr.com...lates-rerelease. When people make custom neighborhoods for sharing they often make subhood versions, too. You can cruise those here in the downloads under Miscellaneous/Neighborhoods and CAS Screens https://modthesims.info/downloads/t...?p=1&showType=2 . It's been awhile since anyone uploaded a new one so you'll have to go back a few pages.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 8:59 PM
I would use the blank templates from the terrain selector to add shopping districts or downtowns using that subhood selector Mod from here that let me bypass the default downtowns and shopping districts.I'll be adding a shopping district to my BACC town when the central district starts getting low on space for new homesteads to have a farming district and eventually add a downtown when that's needed.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 11:54 PM
It seems to have worked well. Now I don't see the annoying message about Shopping District. So what are the main steps that MeetMeToTheRiver performs to make the conversion into a subhood? I won't be doing it myself because it seems to be done as needed, but still curious.

Heh, the RiverBlossom has two winters.

I don't like these "clean" modifications of primary neighborhoods. For subhoods, there is no choice. If they put personal touches on them, the products are opposite to what "clean" means in other contexts (untouched copy of video, and Iso without slipstreaming). Effort has gone into recreating dead ancestors, which will never be seen. Why delete NPCs? When time comes for them to appear, they will be made even more random than the existing ones, and cause a lag spike like when you need a genderbender Boss or a Wolf. Ok, maybe the player won't ever order Chinese food, but most NPCs will be seen. Pleasantview without Amy Jones to deliver mail?

Here is how I treat NPCs. An NPC is picked with hood id and type matching the current. If none exist, the first one vacant is assigned the current hood as residence. We have Amy Jones deliver newspaper over all of P/v, and Alon Livingston across all of Downtown. When a family member leaves a lot, he is assigned the ID of that hood. This value is then used when picking population for commlots and walkbys. But I need to play every family once.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 12:09 AM
The late great Mootilda explained how to make a custom subhood template here: https://modthesims.info/t/420196

People love resurrecting dead ancestors; hence the fixing of them. "Clean" actually means "without corruption/all causes of potential corruption removed." "Empty" means "no characters or remains of characters." Different people want different things, so - lots of different templates!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 12:32 AM
If the clean templates all came with their own townies you would have multiple duplicate copies of all the townies instead of just the usual set. A subhood not having townies in it doesn't cause there to be no townies.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 11:05 PM
I understand why a subhood does not include NPCs. We already have a set of them in the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 4:02 AM
No, an Ubber hood is made by one main hood and then other main hoods have been turned into sub hoods which you then add. This is the only safe way to play all maxis hoods together.
This has all been made, all you have to do is download and set it up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 5:02 AM
An "uber hood" is what is made by adding the package from MeetMe, the thing suggested above right?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 5:32 AM
Yes. There's individual variation in usage, but once you start adding premade subhoods to premade neighborhoods, you can start calling it an uberhood. Megahood is sometimes used for neighborhoods which have had all the premade subhoods added, but other people mean "all the premade neighborhoods" when they say uberhood.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
An "uber hood" is what is made by adding the package from MeetMe, the thing suggested above right?

Yes, and Tea Addict made an easily follow video on how to set one up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74pCHmL4Ye4

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 6:54 AM
PS. TeaAddicts video talks about renaming, this is only if you want to have Pleasantview as the normal Pleasantview and ALSO Pleasantview as an Ubber hood.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 5:15 AM Last edited by jonasn : 15th Jan 2022 at 5:29 AM.
Thank you guys. I already added it, and it is working.

It seems to have worked well. Now I don't see the annoying message about Shopping District.

But what keeps the "game" interesting at this point when all content has been already seen, is the ability to understand how it works, and tweak it for personal taste.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 7:55 AM
Thank you guys. I already added it, and it is working.

But what keeps the "game" interesting at this point when all content has been already seen, is the ability to understand how it works, and tweak it for personal taste.

Plus thousands of mods, with enough new items and gameplay to make up an EP or Two.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 2:36 PM
Plus your own contribution of characterization, drama, and narrative. 90% of this game happens in your head.