Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 5:52 AM Last edited by Kolipoki : 14th Aug 2008 at 2:33 AM.
Default Help with my object creations
So i made this cat painting where i have added a couple of pie menu tabs. One of them (talk to) works perfectly. But the other (Practice Animal Care) doesnt. For the practice animal care i tried adding a new skill but when i tell me sim to practice animal care...they dont move and even when i cancel they wont stop. Please Help
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 10:38 AM
The reason your sim is locking up is that you've got two BHAVs with the instance 0x1001. Your pie menu function is pointing to 1001, which the game is assuming is "Function - Main". That's an infinite loop of waiting.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 6:35 PM
So i changed the instance numbers and they still dont move?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 1:21 AM
Did you change which function the pie menu was pointing to?
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 2:29 AM Last edited by Kolipoki : 13th Aug 2008 at 2:38 AM.
ANother question kinda. So echo in the HP cauldron thing why do you have the sequence ask if your a kid then run love potion test? What does that do that makes it different
I also changed the instance numbers and they still dont move. I updated the upload on my site.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 1:39 PM
I'm not sure what you're referring to about the love potion test. Which BHAV are you looking at?

The code you copied from the magic objects is still trying to use the magic skill token. You need to create your own token with its own guid, then update all those imported BHAVs so that they use that GUID instead. Also, you're trying to update the token before you've assigned it to the sim. That's what the "Give Token if needed" function is for.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 6:10 PM
In line 0x4 in the run sequence it says if child Interaction- Mix Potion Test
What do you mean by creeate your own token.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Aug 2008 at 11:25 AM
That line in that BHAV is never run. That's why when you click on it it has a dark grey line pointing into it. The line after it is never run either, since the only thing which points to it is the age check which also never gets run. It's just detritus left over from an earlier version of the code which I never properly cleaned up.

The magic skill is just a number stored in a token object. The token object is the "magicskill" object in the Harry Potter set. You need to make your own one of those with a new GUID.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Aug 2008 at 6:20 AM
Thanks for your help all! So i kinda put this off for a while and i finnaly got around to continue with it. So i made the new guid so now at least the person doesnt freeze for time and all eternity, but now when i tell the sim to practice the skill the bar spins around like its going to start but then it spins agian and goes away. So somehow its not activatiing it or something.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 1:21 AM
Default How do i know what EPs it uses
So i was pondering the question how do i know which EPs it will need. I'm using Double Deluxe but i dont think my object has to do with any of that so is it normal or is there a way to tell? Should i just try it with Numenour's Anygamestat thing and hope it works?
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 1:25 AM
Default Another Question
No one seems to know the answers to my questions but does someone know this one? So i made the paiting a clone of a painting, so meaning that some walls have to be up for me to see it. Is there a way i can change that where i can always see it, like the mirrors.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 6:09 AM
Patience.

There are numerous things which could cause the progress bar to disappear immediately. It could be that the skill is already maxed out, or you've got something pointing to the end of the loop prematurely, or you could have an error. Are you running in debug mode? Have you traced through the code to find what possible paths it could have taken to exit the loop prematurely?

Regarding required EPs, your object will most likely require all the EPs which were enabled in SimPE at the time you made your clone.

The code which causes wall hanging objects to drop with walls is a standard property. It'll be getting set somewhere in your init (or in code called by your init). Just find that property and turn it off.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 12:05 AM Last edited by Kolipoki : 4th Sep 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Is there a way to change the required EP's in the middle or would i have to start over.

Also, i was looking at the inits of the painting and a mirror and i cant make heads or tails out of it :'(
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 12:30 AM
It is possible, but it's darn tricky since the steps required vary from object to object. I'd recommend starting over with a clean clone.

That said, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, if you can't make sense of an init function for a painting, then you really shouldn't be trying to code token manipulation or custom skills yet. You're trying to fly before you've learned to crawl, BHAV wise. Take some time, play around with the init functions or existing interactions, and get used to just reading BHAVs, then come back to this project.
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 1:31 AM
any specific suggestions on what to do? I dont know what to do, becuase i wanna make something but keeping in mind of what you said, doing something in my level of understnad >.<
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 10:35 PM
You may want to try this tutorial to help with the walls going up and down. http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82685

As for the rest I'm a beginner with BHAVs, so I can't be much help. I'm just really good at finding where the answers are.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. ~Jennifer Yane
Test Subject
#17 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 9:58 PM
i need help making a bed and pet items.i'm so confused because i have never made any items or bodyshop skinning or hair.i've only uploaded sims on the oofical website.please give me directions.and tell me what i need.and if i need to download anything.will,it give me a virus?
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 11:35 PM
Start HERE. (You can easily get here by clicking on the "CREATE" tab at the top of every MTS page.)

Begin with recolors. Download what the 'Start Here' Tutorials tell you. You can not get viruses from these. SimPE is the heart of many creative endeavors. Do not get faint of heart when you open it. It looks complex, incomprehensible, daunting, impossible and downright scary. (Well, it did to me and most every creator I've talked to about 'first times'.) Be brave. Follow those beginning tutorials and they will take you through the process step by step.

In no time at all you will feel the flush sucess.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!