Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 4:28 PM
Looking to make a non-OFB invisible magisplay tray type thing
i'll admit I don't have OFB and wasn't necessarily planning on getting it as I don't want to go through all the hacks to make sure they are compatible.

To use the one more slot packages on MTS you have to use objects or the Invisible Magisplay tray from MTS at http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=181208&c=1 if you want to put Sims on the one more slot package. You can't put a sim on the OMS without the tray and you can only get the tray with OFB.

The key capabilities of the tray seem to be:
1. It's completely invisible
2. It allows Sims to be placed on top of it.
3. The tray can be placed on top of furniture.
4. It's thin and small in size.

So i'm looking at a transparent recolor of a small&thin object but also need to make it so that it can be placed on furniture and Sims can stand on it.

I've seen guides on transparent objects (which i will read up on). On the other two properties what are my best bet at changing? Any objects inherently have property #2 and #3 already?

Looking for any assistance as I'm rather new to object modding but am willing to learn if its an attainable goal.
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 5:39 PM
The "Magisplay" from OFB is a thin (but perfectly visible) object that contains multiple "slots" in it, thus allowing multiple small objects to be placed on it. I don't understand why you are talking of "sims": do you want to put a sim (a person) over a counter??

The "invisible magisplay" you mention is just a recolour of the original magisplay, that is visible in the picture, on the right counter.

In your case, you don't have OFB, and therefore you should use the One More Slot packages: if properly used, they allow to put many objects over any table or counter.
In any case, the *sims* can't be placed anywhere than the ground

Note that the OMS, once placed, become invisible, so they don't cause any visual problem.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:23 PM
I'm specifically interested in the process similar to placing Sims on the magisplay tray, and the tray on top of the OMS object as seen in http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ing_on_Surfaces <==

Being able to have your sim sitting on a counter, desk, table, etc is reliant on the multiple OMS packages and evidentally this tray. The tray is the key and I'm trying to see if it can be replicated in another item that isn't OFB required. Such as modding a different object (established custom mesh or a base game object) and having the same properties.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 10:53 PM Last edited by Numenor : 28th Jul 2007 at 11:18 PM.
Oh, thanks for the link. Now I understand, you are interested in taking snapshots of posing sims...
I'm quite sure that the Magicsplay can be "converted" to be used without OFB, but I myself never try these conversions, because if an object comes with a specific EP, it would be unfair to "port" it to other EPs (for example, using NL cars without NL...).

However, the OMS can be edited to "accept" sims, too. I won't do it myself because there are *tons* of OMS packages, and I'm not going to edit them all, also because they will stop working as expected. You can choose the few OMS packages that you need most, and edit them by yourself, this way:
  • Open the package with SimPE.
  • In the Resource Tree, select the SLOT entry; one or more SLOT resources will appear in the Resource List.
  • Select one by one the SLOT resources, and look in the Plugin View, below; you will see one or more lines that start with "Container" (ignore all the others).
    • Select one by one all the "Container" lines and:
      • Edit the "Float 3" field, replacing the existing number (usually 0) with 4.
      • Click on the "0x08+" tab, just below the Float 3 field and edit the "Int 7", replacing the existing value with 1.
      • Commit and save.
    • Repeat with the next "Container" line (if any).
  • Repeat with the next SLOT resource (if any).

I did this to the "high fridge" OMS, and I got this interesting result (click to enlarge):

For anyone interested in a more technical explanation:
The modification in the "Float 3" allows the slot to accept heavy objects. The known values for the Float3 field are 0, 0.8, 4 and 4.06; the Magisplay has the F3 set to 4.
The modification to the "Int7" value, on the other hand, qualifies the slot as a "ground slot", i.e. it will accept all the objects that usually are placed onto the ground (the magisplay has the Int7 set to 4, which means "on counter": it accepts all the object normally placeable on counters).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 11:09 PM
Oh Thank You!! Modding the OMS is an even easier way to do this. Thanks so much for your help. I'll get this working for myself this week. Really appreciate your quick help!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 11:19 PM
Wait! I've edited my post!
I wrote by mistake a value of zero for the Int7, while the right value is ONE.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 12:09 AM
ok great. thanks! I hadn't tried it yet luckily!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 1:23 AM
I was working on something like this a few days before i released my last set, HP came up with the idea. I got the sim placed in it, just didnt particularly want to be placed on tables. Thanks Numenor for the weight info. Guess I wont need to make it anymore.

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 3:16 AM
wwo great! thanks so much. i was seriously thinking of buying OFB just so i can place sims on top of counters. you're awesome! thanks so much!

check out my story Faking It
Casting call for Eve's Apple currently going on PM me!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JohnBrehaut1
I was working on something like this a few days before i released my last set, HP came up with the idea. I got the sim placed in it, just didnt particularly want to be placed on tables. Thanks Numenor for the weight info. Guess I wont need to make it anymore.

Well if any of the original OMS creators want to redo their versions and re-release or if someone want to create something similar and up it, it would be best for the community. It would be a popular download. Until then those who just want to mod what they have will get a working version for their own games. Obviously i don't want to clone an exisiting object and release it as my own as that's not tolerated here.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 11:37 PM
I've tried this and it works but just one problem. Now, some of the items that I use to be able to put on the oms surfaces can't be placed on them anymore. Any help?

forever and ever....amen.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 1:46 AM
examples? what items?

I tried this with the bed OMS but without the success I was expecting. I may have to retry and play around with it some more.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 5:10 PM
It works fine with sims and other large objects that were mainly floor objects. But now, some candles and a few other decorative things won't place on the anymore.

Scholar
#14 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 9:56 PM
Re-read Numenor's post - he explains that what you are doing is editing it so it now accept "floor objects" (which includes Sims) rather than "counter" objects. You can't make it accept both, you have to pick one or the other.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 5:27 AM
Ok thanks. Is there any way to redownload the omsp and change the name or edit them using SimPE somehow so that I can have one set for sims/floor objects and a second set for counter objects?
I'm not sure if I'm explaining this properly for you to understand my question.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 1:36 AM
Could you make a clone and have 2 simultaneous versions?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 2nd Nov 2007 at 3:46 AM
That's what I was wondering.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 11:49 PM
Yes, you can clone (using SimPE) one or more OMS packages and give them a different package name; it's vital that you assign a new GUID to the clone, otherwise you won't see it in game.

Instructor
#19 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 7:46 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 9th Feb 2008 at 8:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The modification to the "Int7" value, on the other hand, qualifies the slot as a "ground slot", i.e. it will accept all the objects that usually are placed onto the ground (the magisplay has the Int7 set to 4, which means "on counter": it accepts all the object normally placeable on counters).

Numenor, I am curious, was this a typo or did they change the Int7 value since you typed this? When I opened and looked at the slots on the magisplay tray I found a value of 13 instead of 4 in Int7. See photo below. What does 13 in Int7 do? Is this new? Last I had seen posted was up to 11 (decorative).

I am working on a new shelf for use in businesses, although it will not be like the OFB shelves as I haven't figured out how to make it work that way yet. So far I have only been able to get it to hold stuff that will set on the ground using 1 in Int7. I am planning on trying 13 in Int7 to see what happens and will post back with the results. I was originally searching for what it meant to have 4 in Float3 - which you have certainly answered for me. Thanks.

Update: I tried setting my Int7 to 13 in all of my container slots. It now holds more objects from the catalog, although I still don't know what it stands for per se. But I am having a problem with the very first slot that items are placed in on my shelf. Each of my shelves are set up to hold 6 items. Almost all small items will place normally like they should. There is a single redish candle that should be placeable as a small item (I would think) and when I place it in that first slot I can't place anything else on the shelves. But if I place something else that will let me place other things, then return to the redish candle - I can place the redish candle normally - just not in that first slot. I am posting the object in the object workshop to see if anyone can figure it out. If you figure out what 13 in Int7 stands for, please let me know
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 11:05 AM
The values allowed for the I7 parameter are the same "Standard Height" already explained in the InfoCenter article about slots (values are expressed in decimal in the table below):
Code:
1 ---> on floor
2 ---> on low tables
3 ---> on dining tables
4 ---> on counters
5 ---> on Sims
6 ---> in hand
7 ---> "sitting"
8 ---> on end tables
9 ---> in counters
10 ---> under counters
11 ---> on decorative slots (i.e. mantles)
12 ---> on driveways (not sure 100%, it could be "on OFB counters")
13 ---> on OFB Shelves (not sure 100%) 

In other words, if a slot has an I7 value of "8" (on end tables) it should accept any object normally placeable on end tables. In your case, since you are trying to create an OFB shelf, you should use the value of 13, I guess
The OFB shelves and the OFB Magicsplay have a "variable size" slot system: according to the "size" of the first object placed on the shelf, the slots change their configuration, allowing the placement of two big objects, or 4 medium objects, or 6 small objects.
The "size" of an object is declared in its Object Data, in the field 0x004F: zero = large object, 1 = medium object, 2 = small object.
Many custom objects have a bad value in their 0x004F; I don't know if the candle you talk about is a custom one or a Maxis item (if the former, check its OBJD).

Instructor
#21 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 12:43 PM
Thanks Numenor - for some reason I just haven't found that article you mentioned above - only the introductory one for slots here. I will keep looking though.

As for my shelf, Echo pointed out that I missed editing my OBJF trees when I recloned it to make it one-tile instead of two. I had some invalid trees. I was so intent on getting the slots working that I forgot to double check everything else! I should slow down some!

I looked at some of the other OFB shelves and I did attempt using one of those as a clone first but the placement control is burried in the bhav's and I was totally lost while trying to figure those out. If I remember right it appeared to call up an invisible magisplay tray for each shelf. Those bhav's were quite complex - a little too much for my level as of yet. Maybe one day I will have the knowledge to turn these shelves into a true OFB set.

Thanks for the clarification on the I7 parameters. Those will be helpful.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#22 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wndy26
Thanks Numenor - for some reason I just haven't found that article you mentioned above - only the introductory one for slots here. I will keep looking though.

Sorry, my fault. The Standard Heights flags are described in this article about changing the objects placement.

Instructor
#23 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 2:45 AM
So those same values from the standard heights flags are the ones that we can place in the I7 field for slots? Wow...ok...that explains alot. Thanks Numenor! I didn't realize they were basically one and the same.
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th Jun 2008 at 3:50 PM
Default Help
HEY' =)

I have a problem : I don't know where is The "Slot File". When I Open the magisplay, I have this :

Clik'

And I don't know what I must do after because there isn't "the SLOT entry", "the Float 3", ....

Please

( Sorry if I don't speack very well English =S )

Bye
The ModFather
retired moderator
#25 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 12:11 AM
If you have downloaded the "Invisible magisplay tray recolor" from the link provided in the first post, then it's just a recolour, there are no slots in that package.

In post #4 I was talking about modifying the "OMSP" (= "One More Slot Packages"), created by JohnBrehaut1 and posted here at MTS2.

Page 1 of 2