Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 9:17 AM
Default need help with door axis/joint position
I'm trying to figure out how to change the joint/pivot/axis on a door. I'm making some doors whose frames are rather wider and deeper than the maxis ones and the pivoting of the doors is giving me problems.

I'm trying to adjust everything so the doors don't clip the frame when they're open, but since I can't figure out where exactly the door pivots, I can't get the meshes positioned right.

The GMDCs in door packages have no joints, so I can't export the GMDC to get the joints into Milkshape with the unimesh tools. So there must be another way, right? Even knowing where in the package to look would be a start.

This seems like it should be very simple, but I haven't been able to do it. Can anyone help?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 10:54 AM
I had to do this for my set of Victorian door and windows, as the joinery was set back a little way from the outside of the walls.

It entails editing the CRES resource. If you look in the Cres Hierarchie tab, you will see which joint depends on which. I can't remember exactly after all this time, but at a guess I would say go for the r_door_rot one.

After clicking on that, you get another set of tabs. In cTransformNode are boxes for redefining the relative position of your selected joint. I found it was a case of trial and error what to put in those lol!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 1:52 PM
When you find the cTransformNode as suggested by Inge, you have to modify the X value by little steps (1.00 means one tile, in game; also, increments to X move the joint to the left).
You will find useful hints about this subject in this InfoCenter article.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 11:58 AM
Thank you guys very much for the pointers-- I think I'm starting to get a handle on how this works. Now for more trial and error.

(It would be a lot easier to make a door with a deep frame if they could only swing open one way, like doors in real life.)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 6:25 PM
BTW, playing with door or rotating joints may lead to interesting results. If you take a look at the Grand Trianon's "Loft" bedroom set, in particular the Left Cabinet Module, you will se quite an unusual animation when the armoir door opens (part of the door enters the armoire): it wasn't done on purpose, but then I liked it and I decided to keep it that way. Still in the same Loft set, the "Rotodresser" too is a result of quite a lot of trial and error with the joint position.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.