Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2009 at 4:07 PM
Default Can I make the game think an object is a roof?
Hello,

an idea popped into my head this morning after struggling with the maxis roofs yesterday. As I don't know if it is remotely possible I'd really like the opinion of someone with more experience.
The issue is that build mode roofs sometimes creates unwanted parts. Especially the half-parts that appear outside of the grid you're working on, they block windows or pop out of the walls. There seems to be no way to work around this, except to build a roof on the level above. (As roofs can't exist under another roof.) This really isn't wanted most of the times though, as it changes the appearance of the house. Look here for example.

My hypothesis is that if I could create a simple object that the game will also recognize as one square grid of roof, I could simply place this object on the level above the unwanted roof, and the unwanted roof would be removed by the game itself. Of course, the object would have an invisible recolor so it wouldn't be visible during gameplay.

Is this possible to do? And if the answer is yes, is it possible for a newb like me to make?

Cheers,

Zaxis
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Feb 2009 at 4:53 PM
I don't know whether what you want is possible or not. The way others, me included, have dealt with the limitations of Maxis roofs is to put a flat roof on and then place various roof-like objects on them. There are many scattered about the web, and there are some here too.

Bonnie's roof pieces
Ermelind at Sims2Collage
Parsimonious
SimArchitect's bulbous domes here at MTS

Making roof pieces in a like vein are good starter objects. Do the tutorials on recoloring and basic object creation. When you have that down, then clone a column and begin making psuedo-roofs.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Feb 2009 at 11:07 PM
As bluetexasbonnie suggested, the best way at the moment which I know of to do this is to put a floor-tile roof down then put your object on over the top. There are some tweaks you could make to that though - you can try setting the object to automatically hide any floor tiles underneath it (the way inset hot-tubs etc hide the ground under them so they look like they're lowered into the ground?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2009 at 3:17 PM
Thanks, but making roof pieces is not an alternative to me. A roof hiding object can improve maxis roofs for a lot of people.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 10th Feb 2009 at 3:58 PM
Good Luck! All us builders would be thrilled to have more options -- especially for roofs.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!