Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 1:22 PM
Default Custom Modular Stairs Tutorial/Advice?
I am searching for a tutorial or some advice on how to go about making custom modular stairs that don't override any Maxis stairs - I've Googled the subject from all possible angles, and haven't come across anything useful (and I'm afraid I can't search within this object creation forum as advanced searching has apparently been switched off.)

I don't need help with meshing or texture mapping, just on whatever steps I need to take in SimPE to make my new stairs work, and how to create a script containing the correct information for use with the Scriptorium.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 2:25 PM
Cloning modular stairs is no different than any other EAxis item. Follow any cloning tutorial.

The script part though I am not sure there is a tutorial here, or at least I am not finding one. However for the numbers in the script you need to place the new GUID's from your modular stairs in the text file.

First line is name of stairs - starts with a # which means it's a comment and not read

modularStairs 4005 <- that number is the number of your stairs This can't be the same as anyone else's or there will be conflicts. Mine are in the 4000 range, I know shakeshaft at TSR is in the 2000.

Landing - Hi Stub GUID
Placeholder - Hi Cutout GUID
Step - Bridge GUID
Top Step - Portal GUID
Bottom Step - Deck End GUID
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 3:51 PM
Ahhh, so that's what the numbers in the script file are! Thanks, HugeLunatic!

Just one small question still - the number I give the stairs, can this just be any old number, as long as it doesn't clash with anyone else's? What I mean is this: is it some internal number that I need to look up in SimPE, or just one that I assign myself?
#4 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 6:20 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 11th Feb 2010 at 7:02 PM.
I believe that Numenor has a thread with a registry of stair IDs. I know he has one with wall IDs.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:02 PM
Thanks, umm, GOD - it would be most helpful to know what numbers were available for use.

Another query though I'm afraid - what would cause a set of custom modular stairs to have no thumbnail in the catalog?
#6 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 7:30 PM
You`re welcome.

No clue.

Ah, did you notice that I edited my earlier post to include a link at about the same time as you replied to it?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#7 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 11:37 PM
The number is referenced in the text file name and listed inside. Don't use one that already exists by EAxis, but those are fairly smaller numbers. The number is unimportant in a way, but it does need to be unique. That number is not referenced in your package. I know of one person who has I think all custom modular stairs made, I can see if she can screenshot for me or make a list of ones already used. Or if you feel like venturing over to my forum, amythestfenix would be able to answer there too.

GeneralOD if you think there is a registry then please take the time to look for it before posting, as that link to walls has no relevance on the stair numbers and the post is therefore useless. I've looked for a stair type registry because I thought there was one, but I'm not finding it. It might be buried in a stair thread, but I've also looked in the recolorable modular stair threads.

Regarding thumbs, did you clear the thumbnail cache? Or try ctrl+right click on the stair thumb to refresh. I'm not sure why a thumb for stairs wouldn't show. Some objects use a specific mesh (linked in cres) to build the thumb so the bounding box is incorrect if the object is much larger/smaller. But cloning stairs shouldn't give that since even if the thumb is being generated by the cres it should be in the correct location. But try refreshing the thumbs and if it doesn't show still you can post the package if you like.
Instructor
#8 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:33 AM
Here are the stairs I've got in my Scriptorium which are far from all that exist, but a good selection. i could have sworn I saw a stairs list somewhere in Numenor's stuff too but now I can't find it. will keep looking.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#9 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:53 AM
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 1:32 AM
Fran, at one time I had the Fallingwater Stairs packages in my game but no text files in the Scriptorium and the thumbnails were blank. Conversely if the text files were there but no package I had a thumbnail but couldn't select it. (Hope I didn't get that backwards LOL)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 8:15 AM
Thanks, bubba (hello!) and again, HugeLunatic.

I've tried all the things you have suggested to make the thumbnail show, but no success. However, the stairs in question are not mine, but two pretty old sets made by another (not well known) creator that I am trying to fix. The creator in question no longer appears to be active anywhere, so I can't ask them directly, but I would feel awkward uploading their work for someone else to look at - I hope you understand, but thank you for the offer. The stairs themselves work fine (I can select and place them), just no thumbnail - oh well, I guess I will just have to live with it!

Thanks also for the information on the stair numbers - I've done much the same and checked my own Scriptorium for numbers currently in use and the 7000 range currently seems to be free, so that's what I have used.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#12 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 2:45 PM
Ok, I understand. If you would like to send me the stairs and script file I would be happy to take a look at it. bubba was correct with the text file and the package, and one missing then things not showing up. But I don't remember exactly which one causes it. But I don't think they place when in that situation, and since yours place and work it could be something different. I was also going to say maybe the text file doesn't have hte correct extension, but again I don't think they would work then.
#13 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
GeneralOD if you think there is a registry then please take the time to look for it before posting, as that link to walls has no relevance on the stair numbers and the post is therefore useless. I've looked for a stair type registry because I thought there was one, but I'm not finding it. It might be buried in a stair thread, but I've also looked in the recolorable modular stair threads.
Oh, is the Search function back on-line? I *would* have searched for a link, but I understand that Delphy has the Search function disabled currently, and I do not recall sufficient information about the stair-type registry to find it without Search enabled. I included the link to the wall-type registry --to back up my claim that there was one-- only because I accidentally stumbled across that thread immediately after I posted the the message the link is in.