Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2013 at 9:23 AM
Default Vincent van Gogh
Hi, guys! Today I'm here to ask for your help with my first sim that I've ever attempted to create from someone else's likeness- Vincent van Gogh.

The backstory to this isn't very interesting. My sim-self in-game has a two-story house that has a good 5 or 6 paintings of his hanging around, along with some Picasso. She also travels to France often where she makes nectar and practices photography. She has two vacation villas there, as well, spending 15 sim-days there at a time.

She's now coming around to her Adult birthday, and I want her to start settling down with someone that she can have kids with, hence Van Gogh's special appearance in my game.

Now, I have some serious work to do on this sim, as he is in a very early stage of progress. From what I've done so far, I know I need certain sliders. At the moment, I have Jasumi's lip fatness slider, GnatGoSplat's chin width slider, Johna's 10 CAS sliders, and bella3lek4's facial sliders. If you could suggest some other sliders that you notice I might need, that would be wonderful!

I'm also asking, if I may, for assistance in finding suitable hair (facial and otherwise) with this sim, for Van Gogh has quite the iconic facial hair that I'm afraid just isn't available in CAS!

At this point wardrobe isn't a key issue, though if you have any suggestions I would be more than happy to give it a look-see!

Any other suggestions to this sim would be more than welcome! Thank you so much for reading, and I hope I can recreate a sim that Van Gogh would've been proud of!

**Pictures in Attachments**
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th May 2013 at 7:09 PM
Default screenshots
Hi! I'm digging the Van Gogh idea! Would you please take an in-game shot of his face and profile, and then place it besides a pic of Van Gogh so we can make side-by-side comparisons?

so far I think you're heading in the right direction with his nose, but we'd have a better idea if you use an in-game pic :D
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th May 2013 at 7:22 PM
Hi, if you want more sliders that'll help you, here are some you could take a look at Awesomemod Sliders Hack, Head Shape Slider by jonha,Chin to Neck Slider by Heiret. I agree with Dolce_Vida, we need side by side pics for better feedback and suggestions

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
dodgy builder
#4 Old 16th May 2013 at 11:00 PM
They are all his own impression of himself I think. This may just be a photo. I can't be 100% sure it's him, or where the picture comes from, but it sure looks authentic. A google for Vincent van Gogh on turns up lots of things, including this one.

Van Gogh3 by Volvenom, on Flickr
Inventor
#5 Old 17th May 2013 at 5:36 AM
I found the same picture, compared with one of his self-portraits:
http://www.vggallery.com/forum/forum_35.htm

But the second link I found is much more interesting - someone has created a photo-like picture of one of his self-portraits. Very interesting! Have a look here:
http://pursuitist.com/van-goghs-sel...-by-tadao-cern/

It might be difficult to let him look that old. I couldn't find a picture on which he looks younger than this. Well, yes, I did find a picture but I doubt that it was really him. Sliders might help you to work out his features better.

I like the idea and am looking forward to see a Sims 3 version of van Gogh.
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th May 2013 at 8:03 AM
Brilliant idea! I think the great part is that there is a lot of room for interpretation, based on his self-portraits. (Personally, I would rely more on the paintings as reference, even if there are photos of him, because the paintings would be more identifiable as "van Gogh")

You might have already seen this, but here's a link to all of his self-portraits, which may be helpful in figuring out his features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-p...incent_van_Gogh

From the pictures you have, I can tell his jaw and chin should be be narrower and his cheekbones should be more gaunt and maybe slightly lower. And I could be wrong, but it looks like you've created him as a young adult; I'd suggest making him an adult, since he's mostly recognized for the work he did in his mid-to-late thirties. (You can always just start him out as YA in your own game, of course)

Some sliders you may need are brow and forehead depth by aWT: http://mktm.co.uk/uploads/sliders/
For facial hair, I'd suggest the Medieval Stache and Beard by Omega, or maybe one of the beards at Simple Life if using a Medieval conversion isn't allowed at MTS.

And as DOLCE_VIDA mentioned, please make sure to post well-lit screenshots from in-game and not in CAS; it's good to have at least a front-facing view and a profile view.

(Yikes, I feel like I just wrote you an essay...) Anyways, I'm interested to see how this turns out!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2013 at 8:26 AM
Considering I've never had to make a mash-up of a picture before, this is the best I could do.

Also notable in relation to the attached photo, Van Gogh either cocks his head to the side or turns it to the side in all of his portraits, which I can't replicate in-game.

[hence the very awkward photo]

I did, however, change his skintone and hair a bit, as you can see in the mash-up.

If you can lend me any advice on how to make a more accurate comparison picture, I would gladly take it!

On another note, I've looked over the actual shape of his face, and, even with my sliders, I can see that his face is still too wide. All of the sliders I've used can only alter his face to a degree of slimness, so any help with that would also be welcome!

Also, his jaw is proving an issue. It appears too square, but this is also because of the width of his jaw, as mentioned above, and because the junction where the jaw meets the side of his face (picture in attachments) is too low, and my sliders do nothing to fix this.

Please pardon my horrible description skills, guys. I very much appreciate you enthusiasm! <3

Edit: Feel free to laugh at the photos. I know I am.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th May 2013 at 9:18 AM
Haha, I think what was meant by "side by side comparison" was just cropping and pasting the two images next to each other at similar angles and sizes so it would be easier to compare.

For the jaw, aWT also has a "jawline height" slider that is probably what you're looking for. Check the link in my previous post and it'll be in the "awtmk-ts3-slider-jawline.7z" file.

However, before anyone can give you suggestions on what to change, you'll need to post some more pictures of his face in-game (front, profile views) so we can see what he looks like first. :P
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th May 2013 at 10:53 AM Last edited by Allison96 : 17th May 2013 at 11:05 AM.
After messing around with a bit more of his facial features (thanks for the sliders, ChiK_HeinekeN and Stepper), I've taken some in-game screencaps!

The first three images, though, are different beards I've tried out. The screencaps that follow are using the medium thickness beard.

Thanks again, guys!

(I'm still looking for a slider that lets me thin his face, though! )
Field Researcher
#10 Old 17th May 2013 at 1:09 PM Last edited by DOLCE_VIDA : 17th May 2013 at 5:51 PM.
I like the shot of him reading underneath his portrait.

While the shots give us a good idea of what he looks like in game, they need to be close-ups. Zoom in so your pics are more like "headshots"/Passport-like pics of him (frontal and sides).

That first beard
The second beard looks better
The third one is nice as well, but it would be more of a "Vincent decided to shave" beard

There is a slider that would allow you to make his face a bit more gaunt, but I have to find it...does anyone else remember who made the slider that allows you to fiddle with the "jowls"?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2013 at 6:09 AM Last edited by Allison96 : 18th May 2013 at 6:12 AM. Reason: More screencaps.
~short interlude of more in-game screencaps~

I also noticed, while taking more pictures, that he's missing that special bump on the bridge of his nose, but I can't seem to do anything about that yet.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Allison96
~short interlude of more in-game screencaps~

I also noticed, while taking more pictures, that he's missing that special bump on the bridge of his nose, but I can't seem to do anything about that yet.

Are you still working on him? How's it going?
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: old - will re-open if requested