Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 7:07 PM
Default Sim child behavior needs to be expanded. Drastically.
I'm about thirteen years old right now, started playing Sims games when The Sims 2 first came out, so maybe three or four years ago. And the one thing that's been bugging me ever since I started playing... is that my virtual likeness cannot cook. Can't even cook scrambled eggs. Heck, can't even "cook" cereal.

I'm not saying I was master prodigy chef three years ago, but seriously. This is just one example of how us short people are misrepresented in this game! Not only can he not cook, he can barely do anything! He has no self-sufficiency and very little responsibility.

And I certainly do NOT need a stepping stool to get up to the sink.

If there's anything I've wanted more in The Sims, it's to expand upon the behaviors of child Sims and make them more realistic, and potentially more responsible and independent.

srsly. We are not stupid. Do not throw rocks at us. T_T
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 12:17 AM
The issue is that the child sim is about seven years old, and the teenager sim looks about fifteen/sixteen. The 11-13 "tween" is not represented well in the game.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 9:47 PM
I do agree that toddler/children interactions need to be improved (toddlers especially), but I still don't see what the point of a 'tween' age group would be - What could they do that children couldn't?
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 10:17 PM
I was able to make myself cereal when I was 5-6 and sandwiches by the time I was 7. I also remember making a salad wen I was 8...not to mention I stayed home alone for short periods without having a social worker knock on the door. So yeah I believe kids shouldn't be so helpless and unable to do basically anything.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
#5 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Adrianics
I do agree that toddler/children interactions need to be improved (toddlers especially), but I still don't see what the point of a 'tween' age group would be - What could they do that children couldn't?

Well, they could make themselves limited meals, like sandwiches and cereal, and possibly omelettes and salad. They could also have crushes and have 'relationships.' Those are the only things I can currently think of, but I am sure there are more.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mirrornoir
Well, they could make themselves limited meals, like sandwiches and cereal, and possibly omelettes and salad. They could also have crushes and have 'relationships.' Those are the only things I can currently think of, but I am sure there are more.

They could also get odd jobs and join clubs and stuff. Basically be mini-teenagers.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Forum Resident
#7 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 5:06 AM
I agree, there are alot more children can do then just do homework and go ro school.
Let's see on the top of my head: My 10 year old niece had ridden a mini motorcycle or something once. Probably can cook himself.
My 11 year old cousin could stay home for short periods if she wanted to.

Kids can have some jobs like become an actor! Or a simple job like dog walking and help the family raise money for that special vacation or special house. Children in The Sims 2 aren't even like most real children, sure they throw tempers, but trhey don't get straight A's all the time...Or get HW everyday.

My Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge: The Amberstones
http://amberstonelegacy.blogspot.com.au/
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirrornoir

The problem with that is that basically nothing would change when they became teenagers
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
They could also get odd jobs and join clubs and stuff. Basically be mini-teenagers.

yeah they could get like paper rounds or lawn mowing for neighbours and gardening and washing cars? hey that make me think *off topic* can sims wash cars? no i don't think so - they should wash cars in TS3*end off topic.

EDIT: While we on topic of children and 'tweens' we should be allowed to 'call in sick' from school- if you miss a day of school -you lose a grade?!?! *WTF* EAxis? they missed a day of school because some stupid roaches - and the go down a grade? wtf when i missed a day of school from ilness i NEVER lost grade? - And homework everyday? i used to get homework like only on fridays. Yeah maybe when they become teens but not children - they advertise the kids going fishing but asif they gunna have time to do that?
Seriously they needs to be sorted in TS3

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Adrianics
The problem with that is that basically nothing would change when they became teenagers

Actually, teens would be able to do things that kids can't. Sneak out, host parties, cook better foods, have part-time jobs, have real relationships, live alone, establish more of a reputation in the neighborhood, stuff like that.

Quote: Originally posted by simcharley1990
And homework everyday? i used to get homework like only on fridays.

You're lucky because by the time I was in 2nd grade, we got homework 3-4 times in a week! Maybe because my classes were advanced. Anyways, I think kids should also be able to call in sick to school and have homework like 2 or 3 times a week so they can concentrate on more interesting things.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Instructor
#11 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 4:01 PM
I agree about the calling in sick- the kids in my game over slept by a half hour and my legacy doesn't have a car so they couldn't drive them to school. I think the kids could also do stuff on the computers- homework (like in Uni where they did term papers to boost grades) Maybe option of- do research paper or art project and that would boost a failing grade for a kid. Also why does my A+ kid want help with his homework? He's obviously smarter then his parents. I think it should recongnize that- failing grades ask for homework or project- could even be a parent/kid interaction like the train table. The parent does one thing and the kid does something else- a nice little science project of the volcano. If the child is getting A+ then they should have wants of other things like no homework. Like the Uni bonuses of having great grades- if were A+ they had no homework until the grades started to fall.
As for the food- they should be able to make said sammiches and cereal, nothing to do with the stove, but a microwave possibly. They do have thier muffin easy bake oven- I think thats cool. My ingame kids use that every other hour even if they aren't hungry. They should also have option in the phone book of slumber party- and it invites all thier friends over (up to 5 kids) for a slumber party. Nothing like the "throw a party" though cuz I hate that set up. Just random cute fun with kids.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 5:05 PM
How long do you want Sim childhood to last? With the current breakdown missing one day could almost be equated to missing one year. And on that same guide it makes sense to have homework everyday.

Now, I think it would be nice if there was a way to avoid the lost grade, like if the Sim child has a child friend that friend might bring the assignment over after school... we were always picking up assignments for each other in my neighborhood.

Oh, and my sister and I were both the A/A+ type students (I think I only got one lower grade up through 7th grade), but she was easily bored, so instead of doing her homework she'd call her friends to get the answers. So bright kids wanting homework help is perfectly reasonable.

I definitely think some ideas here would be wonderful to have incorporated, like basic kid jobs and extra credit projects. And I seriously agree that they should be able to cook some, I think I was maybe 8 when my dad taught me to use the deep fryer. Maybe a parent/child interaction where the child can help prepare dinner, letting the kid stir the pot or watch a timer.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
Actually, teens would be able to do things that kids can't. Sneak out, host parties, cook better foods, have part-time jobs, have real relationships, live alone, establish more of a reputation in the neighborhood, stuff like that.

I'm not disputing the difference between children and teenagers as it stands, because it's vast and makes a difference to gameplay. It's just that I don't want my sims lives, which are already shaping up to be far too long, being made even longer for the sake of an extra life stage where the only difference to the previous one is that they can cook basic meals and have crushes.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psivampyr
or art project and that would boost a failing grade for a kid.

I've always wanted that! like kids in sims are suppost to be 6/7-to-11/12? and when i was in that age stage and at primary school we did'ntr actually have proper homework - usally it was like bring in something from home - make a gautier out of a tissue box and eleastic bands stuff like that - so basiclly CREATIVITY. for homework it should be stuff the kids like doing like bring in a fish you caught- that way we'll have time to go fishing and have time to do homework (not im not obsessed with fishing - its the only thing i've seen kiddies in sims 3 screenshot do.) :D

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'