Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 5:49 PM
Default Recommended computers/laptops to play TS3 on?
Since I updated my sims 3, and the custom content installation changed, I had all this trouble trying to get the custom content back on. I just don't like the game without it, and I couldn't get any of it to work. I asked the forums, I contacted EA, couldn't get it back on. After about 3 months of trying to fix the game, I thought I'd try reinstalling. Unfortunately, after I uninstalled it, I guess my laptop was done, and it just wouldn't go back on. I gave up on sims for a while, then went back to sims 2, which I quite enjoy, but miss a lot of sims 3 features like open world and story progression. I thought sims 4 would fill the void, but its just made me realize how much I actually enjoy sims 3

I need a computer that could handle quite a bit of CC, maybe a few expansion packs, and fairly high graphics settings. Also I don't want the world to take too long to load, but I understand that I'm gonna have to give it some time. I don't really want to buy a huge gaming computer because I only play sims and I'm going to have to save up for this. So I'm just asking if anyone recommends a specific brand? My old laptop used to play the game very well before it updated, it was a Toshiba but the battery broke and I had to keep it plugged in all the time, which was kind of inconvenient and has kind of put me off getting another. I was also looking at this computer, if anyone knows anything about it??
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:08 PM
The specs look good, but I don't know if you noticed the warning:

"This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible."

If you can get something with those specs though it should do just fine. I've heard about people having problems with the sims 3 on windows 8 though you might want to find something that comes with 7. And looking for a computer that's been refurbished should save some bucks, mine is a bit below those specs and runs the game and loads of CC great and it ran me $300 plus $30 for a new graphics card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:15 PM
I can't find it anywhere else either :/ and I would rather have a laptop, but that depends mainly on the price.
Scholar
#4 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:26 PM
Well, in terms of getting something that runs TS3 well, you'd be much better off with a desktop. Far less likely to overheat, for one thing. And a desktop would be upgradeable, which would mean that you'd be able to further improve the performance later, without having to buy a whole new computer.

And yeah, something with those kind of specs should do fine

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:34 PM
Those specs are pretty good - a better graphics cad would be preferable - but don't buy anything from Cyberpower or iBuypower, they're well-known con artists.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:43 PM Last edited by eskie227 : 7th Sep 2014 at 6:44 PM. Reason: ninja'd
The graphics on the machine you listed, a 7650D, is an integrated graphics chip for the AMD CPU. It will not give you great performance. I would suggest looking for something with a discrete graphics card. I would look for something with a Nvidia 750i (or AMD equivalent) for an entry level card that does not require much power and will offer decent performance for your game. No idea the price of the card in the U.K., but they run ~$100 US. Good luck.

Edit: Oops. Took a phone call while typing, and am late to the party.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
The graphics on the machine you listed, a 7650D, is an integrated graphics chip for the AMD CPU. It will not give you great performance. I would suggest looking for something with a discrete graphics card. I would look for something with a Nvidia 750i (or AMD equivalent) for an entry level card that does not require much power and will offer decent performance for your game. No idea the price of the card in the U.K., but they run ~$100 US. Good luck.

Edit: Oops. Took a phone call while typing, and am late to the party.

Okay, yeah that was the one part I couldn't figure out the specs for. But my computer ran everything but the pets expansion just fine on it's integrated graphics card before I picked up a Gforce GT 610 for $30. The integrated graphics card made cats dogs and horsed look like non-euclidian eldritch horrors from beyond time and space though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:23 PM
'm not too bothered about many of the expansion packs, they're pretty much the same as sims 2. It's mainly open world, CASt and story progression that I miss. I do kind of want pets, but I feel like horses are just going to make the game lag so I'm not sure. The game is just too advanced for any computers in my price range, so it looks like I'm gonna have to save up.