Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 8:39 PM
Default is Anything this person said correct?
So I read this post about chunk boundaries and what not to put on them and just wondering if any of it is true ? will link the post..this is what they said:

There are a few more worries about chunk boundaries then the terrain paints however.
Avoid placing lots across boundaries (this can cause part of your house to be detailed and part to be blurred.)
Avoid using boundaries as a guild for placing roads (this can cause stuttering of the cars when your following them.)
Keep tree types to a couple inside each boundary as too many different types can increase rendering time (tree of the same time can be grouped so they are considered one item instead of several items.

I think the part about trees is true but not sure about lots really and really not sure about roads as ea places them along boundary lines.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...n-world-lag/p15
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 8:59 PM
Yeah, that's definitely true and verifiable.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Yeah, that's definitely true and verifiable.

Ok thanks looks like I'ma restart my world then, i got lots and roads on the pesky chunk lines haha XD
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118

There are a few more worries about chunk boundaries then the terrain paints however.
Avoid placing lots across boundaries (this can cause part of your house to be detailed and part to be blurred.)
Avoid using boundaries as a guild for placing roads (this can cause stuttering of the cars when your following them.)
Keep tree types to a couple inside each boundary as too many different types can increase rendering time (tree of the same time can be grouped so they are considered one item instead of several items.

- Never had problems with lots on boundaries
- Never had problems with cars, but I rarely have roads running along chunks (why would that even be necessary, just use the grid)
- This is true, but keep your overall tree varieties low

As usual, the official sims forum tends to be hilariously misinformed, which is par for the course of a forum that largely believes that playing vanilla is the best way to play.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
Ok thanks looks like I'ma restart my world then, i got lots and roads on the pesky chunk lines haha XD

It's been known for a long time. You can find old posts about this in our caw forum as well. I think though that most world builders has just chosen to ignore this advice. It hasn't been such a big problem for most people. It might cause lag and glitches, but so can a lot of things, and keep track of chunk bounderies and all the other things in this world builder can be hard, if you also have to be creative and keep the creation looking good and have the right things.

I did however try to keep terrainpaints, trees etc, somewhat within the chunk bounderies. It can help you arrange areas for different hoods in a world.

I don't think you need to do any changes if you have finished parts of your world. As I said several things creates lag, and if you are careful about heavy and demanding lots etc, and try distribute the heaviest things a bit all over your world, or just keep it small and light, it shouldn't be a problem.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 4:05 AM
I don't believe this is true:
"When working in CaW one can see where the chunk boundaries are located: bluish-white grid across the map.) When creating a world, users of CaW are advised not to place lots on boundary lines as it becomes awkward in-game because some items on the lot will be detailed others will remained blurred. This becomes a problem when in the kitchen of a sim house and the frontroom (living room for some) is blurred in details."
That doesn't happen.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sweet Mystre
I don't believe this is true:
"When working in CaW one can see where the chunk boundaries are located: bluish-white grid across the map.) When creating a world, users of CaW are advised not to place lots on boundary lines as it becomes awkward in-game because some items on the lot will be detailed others will remained blurred. This becomes a problem when in the kitchen of a sim house and the frontroom (living room for some) is blurred in details."
That doesn't happen.

Sure about that? Have you ever known a house to be on a chunk line, and played it?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 1:33 PM
No. Don't trust others. Experiment yourself and find what works.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 5:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm gonna try and keep lots off the boundaries if i can, but it is hard XD I actually just started a new world just so the lots won't be on them cos now im paranoid about it haha As for roads some of mine do happen to end up along the chunk lines and can be hard to change so was worried about that,
Forum Resident
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
- Never had problems with lots on boundaries
- Never had problems with cars, but I rarely have roads running along chunks (why would that even be necessary, just use the grid)
- This is true, but keep your overall tree varieties low

As usual, the official sims forum tends to be hilariously misinformed, which is par for the course of a forum that largely believes that playing vanilla is the best way to play.

The best way to play is something for each individual to decide what works for them and is neither the right or wrong way. Because it's most likely for everyone to have different gaming experiences with the same game based on the many differences in hardware configurations when PC gaming is the choice of platform. I personally have the best performance playing without mods/cc or at the very least with very little mods/cc.

Also, it's always been my impression that the official forum participants are mostly those who use mods/cc based on the screenshots and the frequent conversations relating to it from various members. In fact, I even remember when The Sims 3 forum was around and at the time I didn't want to use mods/cc and how common it was for the mention and recommendation for third party content. I still find that true in the new forums and notice there seems to be more who uses mods/cc than those who don't on the official forums. Even if it's just pose player/poses, it's still third party. Even if it's just a custom skin and/or eyes, it's still third party, etc.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
The best way to play is something for each individual to decide what works for them and is neither the right or wrong way. Because it's most likely for everyone to have different gaming experiences with the same game based on the many differences in hardware configurations when PC gaming is the choice of platform. I personally have the best performance playing without mods/cc or at the very least with very little mods/cc.

Also, it's always been my impression that the official forum participants are mostly those who use mods/cc based on the screenshots and the frequent conversations relating to it from various members. In fact, I even remember when The Sims 3 forum was around and at the time I didn't want to use mods/cc and how common it was for the mention and recommendation for third party content. I still find that true in the new forums and notice there seems to be more who uses mods/cc than those who don't on the official forums. Even if it's just pose player/poses, it's still third party. Even if it's just a custom skin and/or eyes, it's still third party, etc.

I just would like to say, I wouldn't probs play the game without mods or cc XD like Nraas mods and sim/animal mods i couldn't live without.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Sure about that? Have you ever known a house to be on a chunk line, and played it?

Hi
Yes, I am sure about that and I have played houses on them. I have made many worlds and played them and never saw a house do that.

I actually think chunk sections are more about creating in CAW then playing in the game. Mainly because in the game the view is point of distant from which things will fade and not the chunk area things are in. That's why there are draw settings... aren't those what it's about? Draw settings in game to show how much of the town you can see from your position of view?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 12:25 AM
I think the main importance of chunks is to portion out the map into managable sections for the game to process and load in/out. Things like terrain paints and trees are grouped by chunk, but the terrain mesh is as well- while zooming far above, I can see the terrain transition between its LOD and High-Detail mesh chunks.

It's sort of what's going on here in Horizon Zero Dawn.

I don't think routing matters as much to chunks as general pathing layout or ensuring that there's no stray dots and complicated geometry in the routing paint layers.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 12:35 AM
That method of rendering open worlds is efficient and clever, but with the rise of realtime ray tracing technology I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to implement.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
That method of rendering open worlds is efficient and clever, but with the rise of realtime ray tracing technology I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to implement.

They'll probably cache some of the world data that you don't see, or approximate ray traces based on what you see IMO.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 4:13 PM
Yeah the invisible cameras they use for that sort of thing usually do have line of sight outside of the screen space, but they use shortcuts like a reduced draw distance or simply not rendering certain shaders. In TS4 indoor mirrors don't render anything outside, so if you put a mirror next to a full-height window you'll be staring into a featureless blue void. In GTA V, car mirrors render their surroundings, but they don't render any of the NPCs or traffic. There's a number of good but fairly cheap ways to do real reflections.
Still, a lot of modern games suffer from obvious side effects of SSR. It's been a while but I do remember Zero Dawn having some issues with rendering water. RTX is great and I wish it were something that could be implemented into Reshade.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#17 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 7:50 AM
I have never paid attention to chunks regarding lots or roads. In just one world I used many terrain paints so checked chunks there and did have one with too many and corrected that. Otherwise, I have ignored them and not had any problems because of that. As said, see what works best for you.
Space Pony
#18 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 7:27 PM
Lately, the only time I've been using chunk boundaries is to help place trees, I keep the variety low. But it helps to focus on filling one chunk at a time when you're creating a forest. Or at least for me, it helps from getting too overwhelmed.
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Jun 2019 at 11:48 AM Last edited by MrLaTay : 17th Jun 2019 at 3:13 PM. Reason: Add screenshots as a relevant example.
I may have to agree that it is safer avoiding too many terrain paints and trees types in one chunk. However, many EA made worlds put lots and road all over the place regardless to this chunk boundaries theory. Look Bridgeport and Sunset Valley for example, some lots got chunk boundary cut through them, some roads also run along over boundary. I would say this issue depends on each player's hardware performance.

If the theory about putting lots and roads over the chunk boundaries is true, then EA made worlds would have so much trouble during the gameplay.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 2:58 PM
What is this user even going on about??? Game's LOD system is merely camera distance based for objects and lots. There's probably some effect of the chunks on High Detail Lot loading, but placing a lot on a chunk boundary should not have an effect on how objects on that lot are loaded. Not even objects in that chunk are affected. The only thing that is affected by the chunks is terrain LOD and terrain paint texture quality loading. Sims 3 has lods for terrain as well and you can see this in CAW and how it's affected by the chunks.

For the tree argument, trees are grouped in one object so that they can be rendered properly taking LOD system into consideration, but it's also easier on performance (since the trees are grouped by same type, a group uses the same texture for each of the tree, instead of individual one). This has nothing to do with the chunks but it does have to do with optimizing your world. If you separate different types of trees way too much instead of keeping them grouped close together, you might end up with:
- some trees that fade away or become invisible when you get further away from them
- performance issues because more individual trees or more groups will use individual resources
This is why we see so little tree variation in EA worlds, or just distinct big zones of clumped up tree groups that often don't mix.

Routing is not affected by the chunks, and you can clearly see this while playing the worlds. So in short, some points are valid, some are bullshit. LOD system for objects def does not depend on the chunks, but LOD system for the world terrain does.