Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 4:35 PM
Default Effect of WorldCaches on performance?
Well I did it, I got my PC working and have been playing Sims games for the first time since March.

And guess what, TS3 still runs like a brick. It was okay when I was used to it but now I'm not, so I've decided to do something about it. Now I noticed I have two files for this particular savegame in the WorldCaches folder, and together they make up 2,39 gigabytes. Is it just me or is that kind of a lot for TS3 caches? What if I just straight up deleted them?

I may be in the middle of a heatwave, desperately trying not to decompose in my chair, but this makes perfect sense. Please let me know before I accidentally delete System32.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 4:51 PM
They have been modified, yeah - but I wasn't aware that these files are known to cause lag. I'd considered it of course, but I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 7:09 PM
I'll say this for it - before I couldn't trust my game to save without hitting the memory limit and crashing. I've had it running for a couple of hours now and have done some building here and there. I've saved it 3 times and it hasn't crashed yet. It's using about 2500 megabytes. It's still a lot, but I don't have to be worried about it.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 9:59 PM
I still regularly get Error 12s, of course. Story Prog or not, it would make too much sense if I didn't...

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#9 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 2:31 PM
Worldcache is a folder world builders are adviced to delete with game cache from time to time. I didn't know you could adjust the size of it as well.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hmm... I guess you have a lot of CCs? or actually I think a lot of objects on a lot and having multiple lots in high-res would do it too, such as a lot of lots closely together.

I have some CC but hardly an extreme amount. I think it would have more to do with the high object count per lot, combined with a fairly high density of lots. I don't know that I have enough playable Sims to make much of a difference.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 5:41 AM
Well for what it's worth @nitromon I decreased my cache sizes to 512 megs and manually cleared out my save file, and I'm down about 1200 megabytes in memory usage in normal gameplay. That's progress.

I must've done something to my game.....I'm using that mod that decompresses all the game files and have my PC set up differently with the page file and the memory allocation and everything. Maybe it's not supposed to work but it works for me

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#12 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 4:50 AM
Personally I've never had a problem with cache files. All I notice is that the lots and sims load faster, although I hardly play past 2 generations nor make major modifications to worlds so maybe that is why.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 12:36 PM
Performance-wise, I don't think WorldCaches have an actual impact on the gameplay, just on the initial load-up of the world and the lots (world caches reduce the duration of 'grey lot syndrome', where unloaded textures make your lot objects look grey).

I would clear them out from time to time, since they can get bloated with leftover data, especially if your sims and lots are always changing.
Inventor
#15 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 8:02 PM
I actually had to change my compositor.package file size to 524 MB (same as every other world) because I was playing in a VERY large lot in SV and as I was switching back and forth between Sims in different areas of the world, I'd see a lot of grey objects (untextured) and my FPS would drop from 60 to 47 or something. I'd argue EA's default of 100 MB is nowhere near enough for ANY world.