Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 5:43 PM
Default Graphics over Gameplay or Gameplay over Graphics?
It seems as though they're focusing more on gameplay (which scares me, btw), but what are you looking for? Who would want to play a great game with horrible graphics?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 5:49 PM
Err, I want both. I still play old games with fun gameplay and lackluster or dated graphics... but if I'm paying $40-50 for a new game, it had better look good too. There's no reason they can't do both - The Sims franchise is the best selling game series of all time, EA has tons of money, and it's not like the people who are working on gameplay features are the same ones working on the look and feel of the game. It's two completely different skillsets for two completely different sets of game designers.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 6:19 PM
Both, definitely
Theorist
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 6:21 PM
Ditto, They should go part-and-parcel

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 6:24 PM
I'm really lookign forward to the improved gameplay. I am positive they'll do a great job with the graphics, especially after seeing Spore, which I thought looked bad in the pictures. As far as skins and clothes textures I'm sure the cc creators will come up with whatever we might feel we need.
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 7:14 PM
Well, it depends. I must say that game play is a little more important to me as long as the graphic can be as good as the best pictures on this forum that some have (read Boolprop, Daisy etc). I would be very upset if it has worse quality than The Sims 2 on my current computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 10:49 PM
I'm assuming they won't downplay the graphics. They'll probably be the same or slightly better than that of the Sims 2. [hopefully better :D]
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 5:12 AM
GAMEPLAY! I still play old games like Jagged Alliance 2 (very dated graphics) simply because the amazing gameplay isn't found in any other game.

Graphics mean very little if the game isn't immersive, replayable, and something fun to play.

I also hate it when they simplify and mainstream the gameplay, that ruins it. I do pray that they don't do this to TS3.
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 1:37 PM
I didnt tick either box for this reason:

near enough all the games that come out nowadays are good looking. there is no pixellation (i'm looking at you PS1 and saturn) or ultra ultra blurry smudged textures (and you N64) so every game that comes out is above the bar i demand.

I remember baulking at some of the texture problems in Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid on PS1, but once you anti-alias (smudge) them, they become quite pleasant to look at.

So, to top it off then, a game HAS to good decent for me to get into it, but they all do anyway.
Instructor
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 6:28 PM
Well both ideally, but game play is definitely the most important of the two in such a game in my opinion. But, it'd suck to play a brilliant and intelligent game (game play wise) with outdated graphics.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 6:38 PM
Gameplay :D. Seriously, I have this game called ADOM (google it, probably the first page you get it's short for: Ancient Domains Of Mystery) and all of the graphics are made up of ASCI signs, so there are no real graphics to speak of. But the gameplay is wonderfull :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eruwenfuin
Gameplay :D. Seriously, I have this game called ADOM (google it, probably the first page you get it's short for: Ancient Domains Of Mystery) and all of the graphics are made up of ASCI signs, so there are no real graphics to speak of. But the gameplay is wonderfull :D

I'd agree- all the best games started out when graphics were poor! It's nice to have good graphics but the original concept has to be good, as the Sims is. Glossy games with no concept are rubbish!
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I'd agree- all the best games started out when graphics were poor! It's nice to have good graphics but the original concept has to be good, as the Sims is. Glossy games with no concept are rubbish!
you know, I had a mate from primary school who, one day at his house after work (this would have been about 1990) put ona game SOOOOO much like the sims. it was on a commodore or amstrad or something, and it was like a 2d side-on view (like sonic). i was fascinated by the little man washing his hands, going to the loo etc.
I wish I could find out the name of that game.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 7:14 PM
tizerist - Little Computer People.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
tizerist - Little Computer People.

OH.MY.GOD.
*googles it*

EDIT: Yeah, thats it! Its like the first ever sims game!
someone even even said so here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JaHD16lPI

EDIT AGAIN: It even had EP's planned for it!!! Ikea Home Stuff for the 1980's! Look here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Computer_People
#16 Old 24th Jun 2008 at 9:06 AM
When you phrase it like "Graphics or Gameplay" I'm going to pick gameplay. That being said, however, I expect graphics to be a noticeable improvement from TS2. They already are; the most striking picture, in my opinion, is the comparison on snootysims of the female joggers. Incredible already, and the game is nowhere near finished. I have faith that TS3 will satisfy the right mixture of both
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Jun 2008 at 11:31 AM
Gameplay over graphics, definitely. What's the point of having a game with superb graphics when the gameplay/story is horrific??!? If I had to choose between an amazing game with outdated graphics (say like Baldur's Gate) or a top of the line graphics driven game that turned out to be horrible (like PS3's Lair)...I would definitely choose Baldur's Gate.
Then again, I like older games (especially for the Sega Genesis like Shadowrun and Streets of Rage) , games with more character and longevity...too many games now are made for the casual, trendy "gamer" so if it's pretty and they can beat it in 3 hours (or less) then that's considered a good game.