Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:38 AM
Default Always two steps behind the line.
I feel like I'll never catch up to all The Sims hype - it keeps eluding me.

I'm only 15, so I was just a little kid during the original Sims days. I wasn't even allowed to play the Sims games then because of the crap my dumb sister said about them. I did get to play them eventually, but to be honest, I really never got to enjoy them very much because the Sims 2 line was already well underway by then.

When I finally got my mitts on a laptop that could run the Sims 2, news of the third Sims series was already in the air. The Sims series moves waaay to fast for my liking, I really hate that. It took a very very long time to get my mitts on the first 2 expansion packs, too. You people who are able to afford all these expansion packs, and their horribly demanding system requirements, must be rich or something. I wish I had that kind of money...

God, I hate being a kid. Makes it impossible to satisfy your gaming passions.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:39 AM
When I was fifteen I had a job, you?
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by malianx

With all the problems I have with school, working is unfortunately not a feasible option at this point in my life. Then there's the floundering job market to make matters even worse.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:42 AM Last edited by KyleTheArtist : 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:46 AM. Reason: becuz I are su gramaticul :P
In some countries 16 is working age.

Most of mine( if not all) Were present from friend and parents. They are sold cheap to in walmart since game is 'technically' old :D
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:57 AM
me too, i just figured out the sims in 2004 my friend gave her collection to me. i really enjoyed it i still didn't know there was sims 2. then when i new that you can download cc i went to the internet and thats when i new about sims 2. but off course couldn't afford it at that time. then on early 2008 i got sims 2 played it for months then uninstalled then February of 2009 when i got pets and started playing again. all of my sims game are second hand except base.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:07 AM
My story goes like this: my awesome mother( 5% of sarcasm was intended) bought University EP as grad present. little did she now that it was an EP not actual game. Then some time later she buys me fully translated russian Base sims 2 game. on DVD. SO both sat there collecting dust on myshelf untill my grat daddy that he is, out of the blue bught me a new computer. I installed sims, but they wouldn't load, so dad brought the computer back and gave the guy sims 2 game saying, "here is the computer, here is the game. Now do the miracle and make it work"( I love papa, he is awesome!) xD So my computer was fully functional for sims 2. My uni wouldn't work though because it was in english and base game was in russian( language incompatibility or some crap) Then year later( it was about 2007 maybe?) Papa bought me pets( which had russian AND English) so my uni finally would work. Well actually I bought pets myself because I just sold my artwork and got some bit of money. SO then on, I got EPs from friends and family. it was fun :D

Game is now old,( 2 months old stuff in Moscow is considered ancient) so EPs for it should be sold incredibly cheap. try Walmart or something.
Banned
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:23 AM

That seems just a little bit condescending. >.>;;
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:16 AM

Did you have to walk 5 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways too?
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:31 AM
ok , I'll show my age in high school pong came out , in the army , pacman was in the px (post exchange) , married with two kids my brother inlaw bought me this great computer and the games were on 5.5 floppies . now my daughter plays sims 2 inbetween taken care ofmy granddaughter and is upset because I just picked up sims3 . in reply to Dureth's comment , who walked , I had a horse lol
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:31 AM
Psh. Don't worry about it
Just try to enjoy what you have best you can. I know that's easier to say than do, but believe me you'll be happier when you do. I do know what you mean about getting things -after- nobody else cares about them. When I was little it was the NES. When I finally got one all my friends either had the SNES or the Sega Genesis.

Anyway, Sims 2 is still, imo, superior to Sims 3. It will be until there are more EPs released. I mean, as it is, because I've been playing Sims 2 with all it's luffly features and nice locations (and the ability to make MORE cities and things) I feel like Sims 3 is a little empty. It's good, but it's NOT better than Sims 2 at this point.
And maybe, by the time it is, you'll have a little money to get it (or maybe your folks will buy it for you).
Instructor
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:07 AM
Even to those of us who have been with the Sims 2 since it started, the time seems to have flown. And true, it does seem that the folks at EAxis are constantly developing the latest and greatest for the Sims line (with some debatable successes... *cough*SimCitySocieties*cough*).

What you have to remember is that you can take your time enjoying the Sims, be it generation 1, 2, or 3. So, don't feel rushed.

As for the EP's, I've been lucky enough to have enough money to purchase them myself, but you shouldn't worry about having them all or not. And I agree with you - the system requirements are quite obscene. XD

I'd say, that since the Sims 3 made it's expensive debut just yesterday, continue on with TS2 - TS3 basegame costs upwards of $50, versus $15 in some places (like Wal Mart) for TS2 expansions. Seems much better to me.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:14 AM
Yeah, I'm still waiting to get my mitts on a decent laptop. Until then, I wishfully lurk community forums. (16.)
Instructor
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:38 AM
Shiny Guns

i am glad you managed to get to play sims eventually. Take a look through our forums your sister may well have been one of the miguided over protective types we encountered over the years. I am sure your sister, who loves you, really had your best interests at heart.

I think one of the funniest things was the girl who had 12 and 13 year old siblings and she wanted a hack to remove woohoo from the interactions menu.. it was hilarious. I mean at those ages you know the facts of life.....
Inventor
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:14 AM
there not that expensive, £10 a stuff* pack and £20 an expansion pack. (well, you have to wait about a month or it's like £30 maybe £40)
i got like, 5 of them as gifts, but all the others i got with poket money i saved up, now i have them all ^^ and until i got my new tower i hadn't even played half of them because my old one could only support the base game and it was still slow :/
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:25 AM
There are laws against forced labor and there are limitations on how much a child can work but there is no real minimum working age in Europe or elsewhere. There is already parental consent, academic requirements etc. to cover the other bases.
Instructor
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:41 AM
Actually in the UK you need to have an National Insurance number do any kind of a job. With the exception of a paperround etc. You only really get an NI number when you are about to turn 16.

I was unable to even get a shelf stacker job at a supermarket with or without parental consent. So you will find that although there are no laws per se sometimes there are other ways in which children are restricted from working. This disadvantaged me as I was born in june. Which meant that the soonest I could do a p/t job other than a paper round (which is below the national minimum wage in the UK) or swiping the floor in a hairdressers was after I had left school. Other children who were 16 or about to turn that had the option of leaving school early if they had found full time employment. This option was not open to me, as my card only came in May and I had been registered for the exams and was therefore obligued to sit them.

This has not changed in the UK and similar rules are in play in other European countries.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:08 PM
Well, Sims 2 Double Deluxe and the EP's are "only" $20 apiece. Your best bet is to ask for them as gifts, or, better yet, ask for gift cards at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Kids in America don't have jobs, either. They're too busy on their cell phones and laptops. :D
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:28 PM
Here in Norway we have extremely restrictive labor laws, including how much overtime people can work (virtually none). I had no problem working when I was 15. I didn't have a paperround but I basically made deliveries of bulk ads (spam :p). Running the route you could make about a hundred dollars for 1,5 hours of work
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza
That seems just a little bit condescending. >.>;;

Agreed! I never had a job until I went to college. My daughter never had a job and I didn't want her to get one either. You are only a kid once - I believe they should enjoy this time - there will be PLEANTY of time for working when they are adults - until they retire. Cut a kid some slack!!!
Test Subject
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:41 PM
leave the op alone their only a kid. I wish i had waited longer for getting a job got one at 16, because i missed out on important events alot . You should just be thankful that the only money problems you have to worry about are if you can buy the sims or not lol. If i were you i would wait until the sims 3 gets cheaper and when your waiting for the price to come down i bet that loads of people will be selling their sims 2 ep on ebay for really cheap and you will get a great deal. If you really think about your the one with the upper hand here all those other people have paid about £30 for a new ep when you could get it for about £10 good luck !
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: Personal thread