Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:47 AM
Default Does the Sims World live in a Backwards Society?
Funny thought,
In Sims 3 we got all this cool stuff and it takes place many years before the Sims 1. The fashion of Sims 3 is modern and the devices look great as well.

Sims 1 we had more blandish appliances and stuff and also the TV Shows looked pretty lame.

Sims 2 was an improvement of the Sims 1 however, the Movie Theatres seem to not exist since many people rely on television.

So in conclusion do you believe in this Sims World the people live in a backwards society?

xDDDDD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:50 AM
I think EA/Maxis was just not thinking to put some stuff in the game is all. c: If you follow the story lines, the Sims 1, 2, and 3 follow a time stream consecutively.

Kleptomaniac, Hopeless romantic, Frugal, Family-Oriented, Over-Emotional

The Dahl Legacy
Alchemist
#3 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 2:29 AM
reminds me of cell phones for some reason.

i remember how in TS2 to get a cell phone it was pretty much a QUEST, since the only place i could remember being able to get them was the university shopping lot. and then id just buy 50 at a time because i didnt want to make that same trip ever again.

but now in TS3, everyone is born with a cellphone in the place of their umbilical cord, and you pretty much cant get rid of it (closest you can get to that is ignoring it and setting it to being silent, but your sim will still answer it whenever you arent looking). it pretty much makes house phones completely obsolete, which was probably why i was surprised to find that they still existed.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 3:41 AM
It does seem like time is progressing backwards rather then forwards. But, I suppose it's better to get heaps of new stuff rather then no new stuff at all.
Scholar
#5 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:15 PM
Sims 4: It'll be like the freaking Jetsons and take place 200 years before Sims 3!

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:22 PM
My advice is just not to think too hard about it, because "story" is at best a peripheral element. Also, the premise involved is really, really stupid, and it's best to just ignore it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
reminds me of cell phones for some reason.

i remember how in TS2 to get a cell phone it was pretty much a QUEST, since the only place i could remember being able to get them was the university shopping lot. and then id just buy 50 at a time because i didnt want to make that same trip ever again.

You could have placed the cell phone selling machine in any community lot. I know I did and that's how my teens got cell phones and ipods.
Alchemist
#8 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
You could have placed the cell phone selling machine in any community lot. I know I did and that's how my teens got cell phones and ipods.

i never knew that, but im pretty sure that even if i did.... it took long enough to load my house lot ): i didnt want to do more than i knew had to, to play the game. /lazy

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Theorist
#9 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 1:44 PM
It's funny how even though SimBots look old compared to Servos, the SimBots are the ones with more free will. I guess we can assume some kind of robot takeover that would make Zeke from Ctrl+Alt+Del proud took place between TS3 and TS1, so when the sims took back their world they dumbed them down to be their servants. They were renamed to Servos in order to forget the whole tragedy happened. Not sure how to explain how TS1 had no cell phones at all.

Seriously though I agree with Pescado, I try not to think about it too much. I'd rather have the furniture and stuff keep up with the time of the real world anyway because it would feel weird for sims to suddenly have huge cell phones and not have HDTV's, laptops or electronic dartboards. In TS3 I make my own storylines take place after TS2 anyway.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 10:18 PM
Thw way I see it, whatever magic or menis made Bella vanish caused all the other upsets, and sims got scred of tech compared to what they are in ts3 - before the nightmares happened to them, well except twinbrook whic i think is starting it now and is the eventual strangetown.
Site Helper
#11 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 12:48 AM
The cellphone mystery: They started getting so annoyed by nocturnal sims phoning them at 11:59 pm, or nocturnal sims getting phoned in the middle of the day, that they completely banished the cellphone so they wouldn't have to get out of the shower, stop cooking, or wake up to answer the phone. But then people who had cellphones as little kids were telling their grandkids how much nicer it was when you could call someone without having to share a wall phone or desk phone with a more popular relative who has been too busy to call every single friend in the past couple of days that a nostalgia craze set in and cellphones were rediscovered. XD

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 4:32 AM
The inconsistency of time in TS3 is only relevant for the first generations, because the moment you have played Mortimer until he's an elder, you are basically at the same point where TS2 started with.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
My advice is just not to think too hard about it, because "story" is at best a peripheral element. Also, the premise involved is really, really stupid, and it's best to just ignore it.

Oh no I'm not thinking too hard on this thing but I just find it funny... i have no sense of humour haha
Field Researcher
#14 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 12:14 AM
Well, this seemed weird for me too: in TS3, everything is like in the time we're living in, but in TS3 (esp. early EPs and basegame with no CC) everything from electronics to furniture and clothes looked old-fashioned. It is cool to have all this modern stuff in TS3, but they shouldn't have made it a prequel to TS1, but a sequel. However, why should I bother! I don't even play in Sunset Valley, only in Twinbrook and the lovely custom town I downloaded, Redcliffs. So, I just ignore the whole story with Bella, Mortimer, etc.