Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 7:16 PM
Ugliest 'style' design that has dogged Sims?
I was just at the Sims Store looking how to spend my points. I have to say that bookcase with the cinderblocks has to be the ugliest item I have seen in Sims 2 or 3. It annoyed me every time I needed to find a book case in Sims 2 and here it is (as an option) in Sims 3.

Do people really have ciderblock bookcases??? (bleh..)

Is there something you cannot stand (design wise) that's jumped the shark from Sims 2 to 3?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 7:27 PM
Quote:
Do people really have ciderblock bookcases???

Yes. I had CMU bookcases when I was a poor grad student. Also a work table made with CMU legs and a plywood top. My boyfriend had a desk made of two sawhorses with an old door on top, and a work table made with pipe legs. I always give my just-starting-out sims a CMU bookcase out of nostalgia.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM
I was always annoyd that the 'best' items where the ugliest. I had to force myself to get a tub, bed, or couch I didn't like to get the +comfort. Now with Sims 3 I am free to get what i want; only difference is the +enviornment usually and that doesn't mean much.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 8:57 PM
No offense, but this is the dumbest post I've seen on here.
If you don't like it, don't use it.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
I was just at the Sims Store looking how to spend my points. I have to say that bookcase with the cinderblocks has to be the ugliest item I have seen in Sims 2 or 3. It annoyed me every time I needed to find a book case in Sims 2 and here it is (as an option) in Sims 3.

Is there something you cannot stand (design wise) that's jumped the shark from Sims 2 to 3?

ahahahahahaha

uh.. I refuse to answer on the grounds that it will... uh.. correction..may incriminate me.

It's called 'EARLY college' decor. It seems there are many an ex college student working at EA who have fond memories of cinder block and board bookcases in their dorms. Just think of them as 'modular'.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate

this is the social, not modding discussion.

Come on.. You just don't want to admit you have a cinder block and board bookcase..
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:12 PM
Yeah i do fondly recall the cinder block bookcase too. As well as the milk crate coffee tables. The beer bottle candle holders. The couch you found on the side of the road.

I do think EA did a good job with those meshes.

Quote:

I have to play with the decor a little more. But I don't think you're using that quote in quite the right context here.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 9:47 PM

Shakes head at the newbie...*Whatever*...
If it's a stupid thread, don't answer it, okay...?

Yeah, I know, jumped the shark is for tv shows that have become lame....

I just figured by Sims 3 there would be more style and variation in the decor. It's sort of like, 'let's just copy the old furniture.'

I suppose poor sims need a bookcase, too. But to use points on that?? No thanks.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:00 PM

I had one of those back in the days '=) Not full of books though, mostly magazines, vinyl records and little thingies to decorate ;-)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM

I suppose poor sims need a bookcase, too. But to use points on that?? No thanks.

Works great for the college student/unwashed bohemian style sims IMO

I don't think I'd spend cash to get it specifically but I would probably use it relatively often when outfitting these types of sims' residences. Choice is generally a good thing.

And, yes, I'll confess to have a cinderblock bookcase, milk crate end tables/LP storage, wire spool coffee tables, and a chimney flu and unfinished door desk at various point points in my lifetime.
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:13 PM
I loved having it when going through Uni on TS2. Never bothered to check the objects in the Exchange though, I've only downloaded a couple of male clothes from there and to be honest, its kind of worrying to know that they didn't even put a lot of nice looking hairstyles with the game for a start.
One thing I like so far is the User Exchange, its always great seeing a hair colour that I want instead of trying to make it myself.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:20 PM

Like HCAC said,if you don't like the thread don't post in it.

Quote:
cinder block bookcase too. As well as the milk crate coffee tables. The beer bottle candle holders. The couch you found on the side of the road.

Was that part of University? I would have liked a cardboard box as a table,I've been using cardboard boxes for tables in my (real life) bedroom for the past few years now but it's more because I don't have room to put the stuff that's in those boxes. >_>
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies
Yeah i do fondly recall the cinder block bookcase too. As well as the milk crate coffee tables. The beer bottle candle holders. The couch you found on the side of the road.

Oh, like in the console version, the least expensive couch is called the "Saved from the Curb Sofa".

When me and my best friend play at his house he's a complete @$$ and won't let us get anything nice or expensive or helpful. Like, his "Nothing but Circular Wall Lights" or "No Dressers and nothing but the 50s sized TV" rules.