Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:04 PM
Default Has anyone created any custom interactions yet?
Has anyone created any custom interactions yet for Sims 4?
Looking for the types of interactions like Sims 3 had... werewolf attack, vampire attack, the waltz interaction etc.
Wanting to look at the code for any custom interactions that might exist so I can get a reference to create my own.
Note: any custom interactions for Sims 4 will do, but I would prefer those that utilize custom animations as well.
Thanks, all!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clang2
Has anyone created any custom interactions yet for Sims 4?
Looking for the types of interactions like Sims 3 had... werewolf attack, vampire attack, the waltz interaction etc.
Wanting to look at the code for any custom interactions that might exist so I can get a reference to create my own.
Note: any custom interactions for Sims 4 will do, but I would prefer those that utilize custom animations as well.
Thanks, all!

You can just look at a regular one built in the game and develop your idea .
I've done about 200 custom interactions all from scratch and used regular interactions as a guide.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by azoresman
You can just look at a regular one built in the game and develop your idea .
I've done about 200 custom interactions all from scratch and used regular interactions as a guide.

Sounds good. I have the decompiled scripts etc... but, I have to admit, I feel like I am learning from scratch with python.
I can open and view them using IntelliJ IDEA... and I am beginning to figure all that out, but I am having a real problem being able to understand relationships etc without the use of ILSpy to be able to go in and search the code that way.
Do you have any advance that might help me get the same utility from the decompiled scripts that ILSpy gave?
Thank you for the response. It's greatly appreciated as I tip-toe into the pool here!
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:44 PM
Sounds good. I have the decompiled scripts etc... but, I have to admit, I feel like I am learning from scratch with python.
I can open and view them using IntelliJ IDEA... and I am beginning to figure all that out, but I am having a real problem being able to understand relationships etc without the use of ILSpy to be able to go in and search the code that way.
Do you have any advance that might help me get the same utility from the decompiled scripts that ILSpy gave?
Thank you for the response. It's greatly appreciated as I tip-toe into the pool here!

To make a custom or new interaction we don't need python, we can do it solely using XML.
First of all : If you have a good Idea of the final result it gets easier , locate the files for a stock interaction in the same category (Social-Mixer) (Super-Interaction) ETC...
Study the Flow in the code, see what could be useful, take notes, (Learn how files are connected) thru instance numbers, An interactions always has an outcome or can be various depending on tests we can have various scenarios and outcomes.

Give you an example: One of my interactions was based on Get Together Talk up sim interaction.

This interaction is complex because it involves Sim Pickers; social_mixer; pushed_interaction; Sim_filters; conditional_actions for every stage etc.
This is not a basic or easy interaction to play with as it as a bunch of resources in it, but it is a good interaction to learn.

I wanted something similar to sims 3 late night, that made a sim woohoo other sim.

So I used a similar interaction as the base of study for my MOD "Send sim Woohoo with"

Then it's up to you.
In this case I removed the possibility to have an off_lot outcome, so my interaction was made to work in a 200 meters radius, all sims in that radius will show up on the sim picker dialog, no one needs to be acquainted and the outcome is assured to be successful.
So you click a sim anywhere choose the interaction, sim picker window pops up, with the filtered sims, choose a sim, then the mixer social starts, that's the animations my sim goes talk with the target sim, then the target goes talk with piked sim and they go woohoo, and everyone gets introduced and friendship relationship gets set to a value defined by me.

That's it

Hope it helps
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:54 PM
To make a custom or new interaction we don't need python, we can do it solely using XML.
First of all : If you have a good Idea of the final result it gets easier , locate the files for a stock interaction in the same category (Social-Mixer) (Super-Interaction) ETC...
Study the Flow in the code, see what could be useful, take notes, (Learn how files are connected) thru instance numbers, An interactions always has an outcome or can be various depending on tests we can have various scenarios and outcomes.

Give you an example: One of my interactions was based on Get Together Talk up sim interaction.

This interaction is complex because it involves Sim Pickers; social_mixer; pushed_interaction; Sim_filters; conditional_actions for every stage etc.
This is not a basic or easy interaction to play with as it as a bunch of resources in it, but it is a good interaction to learn.

I wanted something similar to sims 3 late night, that made a sim woohoo other sim.

So I used a similar interaction as the base of study for my MOD "Send sim Woohoo with"

Then it's up to you.
In this case I removed the possibility to have an off_lot outcome, so my interaction was made to work in a 200 meters radius, all sims in that radius will show up on the sim picker dialog, no one needs to be acquainted and the outcome is assured to be successful.
So you click a sim anywhere choose the interaction, sim picker window pops up, with the filtered sims, choose a sim, then the mixer social starts, that's the animations my sim goes talk with the target sim, then the target goes talk with piked sim and they go woohoo, and everyone gets introduced and friendship relationship gets set to a value defined by me.

That's it

Hope it helps

This absolutely helps as it is the exact type of interaction, and information regarding those types, I have been looking for!
I hadn't realized all that was needed was the XMLs... so much different. So much to relearn... haha.
In Sims 3, my goal was to do a sort of cops and robbers set... basically a sim would have been a burlar or otherwise a thief of some type. they'd steal things etc and get a buff or some other tag.
Another sim would be in the law enforcement career, and they'd be able to 'sense' one of the thieves under certain circumstances.
I was able to make things close, I could get sims to avoid or close with other sims... then begin another interaction that determined the outcome of the encounter... then begin another interaction that included custom animations for the fight (if any needed) and taking into custody of the thief sim... then begin another interaction that brought the thief to a specified lot.
So, I had some success, but... especially because Sims 3 was soooo slooooow to load, that success was extremely limited. I never reached a final version even though I had probably created 30 interactions, with custom animations for each, just for the purpose.
I am hoping that Sims 4 will be both easier to code and easier to test in game.
But, again, I feel like I am back to baby steps...
This information you've given me here certainly helps a great deal. Thank you, azoresman!
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 12:01 AM
This absolutely helps as it is the exact type of interaction, and information regarding those types, I have been looking for!
I hadn't realized all that was needed was the XMLs... so much different. So much to relearn... haha.
In Sims 3, my goal was to do a sort of cops and robbers set... basically a sim would have been a burlar or otherwise a thief of some type. they'd steal things etc and get a buff or some other tag.
Another sim would be in the law enforcement career, and they'd be able to 'sense' one of the thieves under certain circumstances.
I was able to make things close, I could get sims to avoid or close with other sims... then begin another interaction that determined the outcome of the encounter... then begin another interaction that included custom animations for the fight (if any needed) and taking into custody of the thief sim... then begin another interaction that brought the thief to a specified lot.
So, I had some success, but... especially because Sims 3 was soooo slooooow to load, that success was extremely limited. I never reached a final version even though I had probably created 30 interactions, with custom animations for each, just for the purpose.
I am hoping that Sims 4 will be both easier to code and easier to test in game.
But, again, I feel like I am back to baby steps...
This information you've given me here certainly helps a great deal. Thank you, azoresman!

You are welcome, I there's anything I can do to get you out of trouble, just let me know.

Forgot to say that any new interaction needs to be injected to the sim object affordance list, you can do it 2 ways, either add your instances to the sim affordance list XML or just use a python injector last one is recommended.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 4:11 AM
This is something I'm definitely interested in.
I've had an idea to add some custom interactions to the newsstand deco object, so that Sims can read newspapers (or better yet, buy them) by clicking on them. All I really want is a couple of random text popups, but I wouldn't have the first clue how to get this to work.

Like, how does an object even know it has an interaction in the first place?
Instructor
#8 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by danburite2
This is something I'm definitely interested in.
I've had an idea to add some custom interactions to the newsstand deco object, so that Sims can read newspapers (or better yet, buy them) by clicking on them. All I really want is a couple of random text popups, but I wouldn't have the first clue how to get this to work.

Like, how does an object even know it has an interaction in the first place?

First of all, you have to create the interaction itself, pie-menus etc, then locate that deco object tuning and add your interaction to the object's interactions list.
If it's a general tuning for decorative objects, it wont work sins all deco would have it available, so we have to create a new object tunning and apply it to that single object that also should be cloned and have a unique instance reference.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 11:39 PM
First of all, you have to create the interaction itself, pie-menus etc, then locate that deco object tuning and add your interaction to the object's interactions list.
If it's a general tuning for decorative objects, it wont work sins all deco would have it available, so we have to create a new object tunning and apply it to that single object that also should be cloned and have a unique instance reference.

azoresman, when you set out at first to make your custom interactions and were learning the process as it specifically applies to Sims 4, what tutorials did you find the most helpful?
Which were the ones that, as you moved through them, were the 'Ah-ha!... that's explains so much' ones.
I have been going through some of them, but am still in baby-step mode... so any solid tutorials, as they are perceived as such by a person already well advanced, would be most helpful to have knowledge of.
Thank you, sir!
Instructor
#10 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 1:51 AM
azoresman, when you set out at first to make your custom interactions and were learning the process as it specifically applies to Sims 4, what tutorials did you find the most helpful?
Which were the ones that, as you moved through them, were the 'Ah-ha!... that's explains so much' ones.
I have been going through some of them, but am still in baby-step mode... so any solid tutorials, as they are perceived as such by a person already well advanced, would be most helpful to have knowledge of.
Thank you, sir!

When the game was released EA released some documents I think are still on the site, it's a technical guide for moders, it has very useful information.
I think they are at a sticky post on modding discussion, or very near. Even though it could be a little outdated i believe it's imperative for anyone willing to mod to give it a read.
I was moding sims 4 during the cas demo when tools were not yet available and everyone was figuring out things, and had bases from moding the previews versions of the series, so it made it easy.
One thing I did was having the complete game filesystem in my head, that helps too, thousand of hours reading code. I ended up not playing much except to test my work.

Here you have a list of tutorials Sims 4 Tutorial list
Maxis CC documentation
Learn how to inject your interaction to objects vya python

That's what I believe to be important
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 2:20 AM
When the game was released EA released some documents I think are still on the site, it's a technical guide for moders, it has very useful information.
I think they are at a sticky post on modding discussion, or very near. Even though it could be a little outdated i believe it's imperative for anyone willing to mod to give it a read.
I was moding sims 4 during the cas demo when tools were not yet available and everyone was figuring out things, and had bases from moding the previews versions of the series, so it made it easy.
One thing I did was having the complete game filesystem in my head, that helps too, thousand of hours reading code. I ended up not playing much except to test my work.

Here you have a list of tutorials Sims 4 Tutorial list
Maxis CC documentation
Learn how to inject your interaction to objects vya python

That's what I believe to be important

Thank you!
I have seen all these already, along with most others, but I haven't sunk my teeth into any of them yet because I was still trying to figure out which ones would actually be priority for what I intend.
I absolutely appreciate all your help and giving us some good solid footing to begin on.
I'll go waste deep with these then straight away.
Thank you, so much, again!
Be well!
Instructor
#12 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 4:59 AM
Thank you!
I have seen all these already, along with most others, but I haven't sunk my teeth into any of them yet because I was still trying to figure out which ones would actually be priority for what I intend.
I absolutely appreciate all your help and giving us some good solid footing to begin on.
I'll go waste deep with these then straight away.
Thank you, so much, again!
Be well!

Take a look at Tdesc files, they provide both the structure and the variables for every type or resource in the core