1 people viewing
Replies: 510 (Who?), Viewed: 19603 times.
Page 10 of 21
Field Researcher
#226 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 3:03 PM
so anything new with the Sims 4? I haven't bought any packs since Discover University/Mocachino Stuff Pack or something, and haven't updated the game either since.

All the hoods are merely the same, so I made ones where all the Sims aren't straight.
Top Secret Researcher
#227 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 10:46 PM
We are being buried in kits (mostly clothes, some build/buy and one game play), and they refreshed Spa Day. Someone who has Cottage Living will have to assess that EP (I will say the world looks pretty). Snowy Escape EP, set in Japan, features, as well as winter sports, an NPC that will set your house on fire. Um, there was Bantha Poo (Journey to Batuu, whatever) - a Star Wars game pack that's not integrated very well into the rest of the game. A paranormal stuff pack, which introduced haunted houses (and the accompanying patch added a new emotional state, 'scared'). There's a home designer-oriented pack.

Pretty much the same old same old, with some minor variations, I guess.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#228 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 5:52 PM
I forgot about Yamachan the Arsonist. I'm guessing nothing has changed on that front. Maxis is too busy pushing out kits that nobody cares about, or so it seems. I've been waiting for all the big hype for the kits that came out in the beginning of October. One can hear a ant fart it has been so quiet; even from the fake-type that like to squeal and pretend like everything Maxis does is the best.thing.ever.
Field Researcher
#229 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 6:32 AM
I'm sure that if I downloaded this game again after two years without playing it, I would still think that everything is wrong. My God, what is this "kits" thing about? People who keep buying this game have definitely lost their minds.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#230 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 1:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokisims
I'm sure that if I downloaded this game again after two years without playing it, I would still think that everything is wrong. My God, what is this "kits" thing about? People who keep buying this game have definitely lost their minds.


Kits are little crumbs of content that EA sells for $5.00. The most talked about is the Bust the Dust kit. It is the most talked about because A) it is a game play kit B) it is also bug-ridden and completely broken. If a sim or a pet pees on the floor, sims of that household will stand in the pee puddle, wave their hand around like they are sniffing the air and get a inspired buff. It remains a mystery why sims are inspired by standing in puddles of urine; Maxis has yet to explain that one.

Since Bust the Dust was a bust, Maxis hasn't released any more game play kits, but instead is now focusing on build and CAS kits.

People that play on console argue that kits are good because they can't use custom content. People that don't like kits that play on PC or Mac say that kits will replace stuff packs. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. In the end, kits are just one more way to divide the sims community. EA is always talking about kumbaya and how everybody should play nice with each other. It is interesting how while saying that, they are always looking for ways to play a game of divide and conquer.
Instructor
#231 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 5:41 PM
Where kits would find their customers are those that are concentrated on a particular culture, country or time, as not everyone would want all of those and want to just concentrate on their own chosen costumes etc.

For instance, having lived through the 1950's and 60s, I'd put Mrs Crumplebottom's dress sense of that period. Oldies of her class were still wearing string gloves to go shopping in the UK, even hats and only the young like me or middle class plus, (not me) wore those lovely bouffant skirts over petticoats brought in by Dior after WW2. The cotton designs were bright and colourful and then the rot set in with the introduction of the dull polyesters that were easy to care for. I remember linen dresses too, not practical at work though. The linen and taffeta colours were usually vibrant. I had dresses in red, turquoise and lime green but difficult to iron!

It might have changed in the '60s but not until Mary Quant, her new haircut and The Pill came along.
I'd love a pack from those days.
Field Researcher
#232 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 10:05 PM
Yeah, but I'm unable to feel any kind of illusion for furniture and "nice" things if everything is broken and the gameplay I don't like at all, it's a joke how broken this game is aaaaaarghg. It is that there has never been any intention to make a life simulator, not the least. They are very cheeky.
Mad Poster
#233 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 4:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
Where kits would find their customers are those that are concentrated on a particular culture, country or time, as not everyone would want all of those and want to just concentrate on their own chosen costumes etc.

For instance, having lived through the 1950's and 60s, I'd put Mrs Crumplebottom's dress sense of that period. Oldies of her class were still wearing string gloves to go shopping in the UK, even hats and only the young like me or middle class plus, (not me) wore those lovely bouffant skirts over petticoats brought in by Dior after WW2. The cotton designs were bright and colourful and then the rot set in with the introduction of the dull polyesters that were easy to care for. I remember linen dresses too, not practical at work though. The linen and taffeta colours were usually vibrant. I had dresses in red, turquoise and lime green but difficult to iron!

It might have changed in the '60s but not until Mary Quant, her new haircut and The Pill came along.
I'd love a pack from those days.


Lol wouldn't that be basically be just the Sims 3 store sets 2.0?
Mad Poster
#234 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 5:20 AM
This year, we got a refresh, a stuff pack, a game pack, and expansion pack and…

…and what will then be 9 kits: 4 CAS kits, 4 Build Kits, and 1 Gameplay Kit.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#235 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Lol wouldn't that be basically be just the Sims 3 store sets 2.0?


Yeah it would, but all of this leads down yet another EA created rabbithole.

EA / Maxis are constantly thumping their chests about culture, diversity, blah, blah, blah these days and yet, in order to get those things, the masses have to pay. What EA is really saying is culture and diversity are only as deep as a person's wallet and even then, more often than not, the masses will be paying for questionable decisions and stereotypes even though the big brains at team Maxis claim to know best about any given culture.

The whole thing is about as deep as TS4 game play itself. They tell people that they spend lots of time talking to their people about stuff, but oddly enough, never talk to people from the cultures they are supposedly trying to represent. Not only is that curious, but the fact that EA is a worldwide, multi-billion dollar company makes these decisions even more questionable. I understand the world is under a pandemic, but people don't catch Rona by talking to people on the phone, having conversations via email, ect...

If people are content to pay for buzzwords, that is their choice, but honestly. The more EA talks, the more they reveal. It reminds me of people that don't like to clean. When they have company, they throw a blanket or sheet over the piles of crap that has been collecting on the floor because they don't want to put stuff away. When a corner of the blanket or sheet is pulled back, the reaction is usually and rightfully so.

I shouldn't expect so much from a company that is contemplating changing a name of one of their problem child franchises because somehow changing the name will magically make all of the gambling problems go away. Apparently this is a new trend in the world of big tech as Mark Zuckerberg thinks that giving Facebook a new name will get him out of hot water as well. I'd like to know what universe these people live on. It is a strange world to believe that if somebody simply changes a name of something suddenly it is like years worth of BS never happened.
Alchemist
#236 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 11:50 AM
I feel like TS5 is coming closer with the TS4 content slowing down

what does his name even mean?
Lab Assistant
#237 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 1:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGarden
I feel like TS5 is coming closer with the TS4 content slowing down


Not sure if I totally agree with this one. Content slowing down? IMHO I think EA is just taking a breather. A lot more is just over the horizon.
Oh, yeah, TS5 is coming ~ but so is the end of the world ~ and some people even have their doubts about that.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
Field Researcher
#238 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 2:47 PM
@dikosay Well, given the events and the concentration camp that Australia has become, you're not too wrong about the end of the world ... And I don't want to divert the issue but ... xD
Inventor
#239 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 8:57 PM
The way I see it, Kits are similar to TS3 Store sets, but there's a BIG difference. The Store didn't affect the release of packs at all, as there was an entire team dedicated to producing Store content, whereas there were two teams dedicated to EPs and SPs. I think they straight up LIED when they said Kits wouldn't affect the production of other packs. It's pretty obvious the opposite is true. The more Kits made, the fewer packs made. They must not have their own team dedicated to Kits, and rather use the same resources they use for other packs. It sucks, because The Sims 4 is still lacking so much, and Kits don't deliver ANY gameplay (especially after the Bust the Dust FIASCO).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#240 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 10:54 PM
The following was posted in a video by Simmer Erin. The "No More Expansion Packs" part of the title of the video is questionable... whatever.



If a person takes this at face value, there won't be much in terms of content through December. It was mentioned in the video that it is very unlike EA to miss out on sales before Christmas which is true. Everybody can make up their own mind of whether Maxis is really going to put out two more kits through December or if maybe they have something up their sleeves that they're not talking about. I don't care either way....

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAI0r3ROTk
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#241 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 2:05 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 23rd Oct 2021 at 2:18 AM.
So let me get this straight: Kits in TS4 are basically what? Actual stuff packs about stuff packs, but with less stuff than stuff packs and lousy excuse for a stuff pack that includes no gameplay? Weird naming choice there: kits, in my understanding for a non-native english speaker, is interpreted as a tool kit that offer useful
functionality but in a specific package. Yet for whatever reason stuff packs offer TS3-esque premium-content type
of deal (store gameplay basically), and somewhat polished than consisting of a single items from a furnite buy-mode categorized single folder.... *awkward okay*

Don't just love that a kitchen room, a vacuum cleaner, sportswear and other specific clothing, and a bedroon are respective indepented packs that don't cost cents? Worth the asking price!

Imo, we need another pack type called "An Item Pack". Examples include The Sims 4: Iron Clothes Pack that consist of just a SINGLE gameplay object for the price of 2€ Ofc make billions of them, so players can have something to eat, three times for a single week Eye candy!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#242 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

Imo, we need another pack type called "An Item Pack". Examples include The Sims 4: Iron Clothes Pack that consist of just a SINGLE gameplay object for the price of 2€ Ofc make billions of them, so players can have something to eat, three times for a single week Eye candy!


This type of pay model already exists within the sims franchise, just not for TS4. Sims Mobile charges per item for the most part. They do have outfits which are sold together, but if you want to change the color of said outfit, EA charges $5.00 for a single color swatch.

The last time I did the math for a single Sims Mobile campaign, the cost came out to be something like $2.60 per item or $89 if a person bought everything for that one campaign. Needless to say, I scratch my head in confusion when people say that Sims Mobile is cheap. The Bust the Dust kit for TS4 has 5 items or 5 vacuum cleaners, so that came out to be $1.00 per item USD. People that live in other places ended up paying more because of exchange rates, taxes, ect... so the price is even higher. We never talk about exchange rates around here, but they are a thing.

If we were to add time equals money to this equation ( time to find / install mods to try to fix all the things broken with the Bust the Dust Kit) that doubles the price. TS4 is still being developed and as everybody knows, game updates break things. Sometimes some mods don't have to be updated, most of the time, they do.

I don't think EA would be risk going from a model of having players pay for packs and kits to having players pay for single items like in the Sims Mobile model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got mentioned at some point or another. They've already tinkered with loot boxes in Snowy Escape. It got a pass because the vending machines in TS4 don't use real money. Some thought it was funny making their sims goes broke.

EA loves to test the water to see what they can get away with.
Instructor
#243 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 2:20 PM
I think that the Season of Selves will be a type of Costumes of the World packs like the latest two. I hope so as I won't have to buy many or any of them if I don't want to.

I'm beginning to think that I have enough of what I want to play and it'll have to be a brilliant idea of a pack to tempt me further.
Scholar
#244 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 7:29 AM
I can see in 2022, TS4 will become a Kits only franchise, due to no evidence any other pack-type to come.
Lab Assistant
#245 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysim
I can see in 2022, TS4 will become a Kits only franchise, due to no evidence any other pack-type to come.


You're probably right @Citysim. But remember, to please their ever-awaiting devotees, they got to come out with TS5. Which, in doing so, would kill the kits-only operation immediately upon release . . . unless, of course, TS5 is also kits-only.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#246 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 1:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysim
I can see in 2022, TS4 will become a Kits only franchise, due to no evidence any other pack-type to come.


They wasted no time going from kits are 'filler' content to kits are the content. I wonder if they'll start chunking up EP's and selling the bits and pieces as kits...
Mad Poster
#247 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 5:41 AM
I want to assume they’re making kits a focus of the year due to kits being new. I will say there is more they can do with kits that they’re arre doing. That’s EXCLUDING what they could still offer with stuff packs.

Imagine a wedding stuff pack curated for various ad overlapping wedding themes (when paired with the base game) - Designer Weddings, Goth Weddings, Rustic Weddings, Themed Weddings, etc., with hideous bridesmaids gowns, massive centerpieces, multiple arches, and pieces that can be repurposed to fit various themes, like candelabras, clothed tables, and formal seating. A variety of wedding gowns, tuxedos, dresses, and jewelry.

New Wedding gameplay and features?
- Wedding Venue: Will have the ability to host weddings and wedding parties.
- New Parties: Bachelor(ette) Parties and Wedding Receptions. Guest will also bring gifts or money to receptions. Dancers can be hired for Bachelor(ette) Parties.
- Champagne: Available in cheap, moderate, and expensive. It can be used to: Celebrate (pop cork), Grab A Glass (Pour one drink), Serve (pour many), Toast (A Sim will grab a glass as toast with another Sim), Spray (pour on one Sims), Pour Out (to impress Sims if owned and expensive, or upset Sims if not)
- Photo Album: Keep record of memories (including weddings), which will influence a Sim’s mood when reading about past events in the journal.
- Wedding Cakes: New wedding cakes in a variety of shapes, colors, flavors.
- Wedding Radio Station
- Online Shopping: Wedding Items and clothing can be purchased online, but is often VERY expensive.
- Bridezilla/Groomzilla: Depending on their traits, Sims may be the -Zilla trait when engaged, which will be a very powerful angry buff that lasts until the Sims get married. If rejected at the altar, the Sim will become incredibly furious.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#248 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 2:32 PM
If people want to give EA the benefit of the doubt, they are free to do so. That being said, there are a few things that should be pointed out.

The first being that if Maxis thinks kits are really that great of a idea, why are they not advertised on the official YT channel? There isn't a single kit on there. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSims/videos It is suspect since the Journey to Batuu trailer is still on there with its 115k down votes.

Yibs are currently walking around with a pouty lip as there is only so much content they can create surrounding kits. One can only talk about a CAS or Build kits so many times before their young audiences are bored out of their minds and are ready to move on to the next thing. This exposes the problem most Yibs haven't had to deal with. That problem being that they only make content based on the new and shiny. When there isn't anything new or not enough shiny to keep content rolling out for a few weeks, they start complaining because their views take a nose dive. For as much time some of them have wasted yapping about how "in" they are with the team, I'd be pissed if I were 'in' with a company and they pulled the rug out from under me.

Then there is the money side of things. For all the kits sold to date, they have revolved around content that could have been added to other packs. But because people fall into the "It's only $5.00" trap, if a person has purchased all 9 kits, they've shelled out $45.00 (or more depending on where they live) for little bits of content. I'm not here to tell people what to spend their money on, but if this is Maxis' new thing, all these little bits of content are going to add up, fast.

I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future, but I'm seeing the start of the snowball effect here.
Mad Poster
#249 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 8:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
If people want to give EA the benefit of the doubt, they are free to do so. That being said, there are a few things that should be pointed out.

The first being that if Maxis thinks kits are really that great of a idea, why are they not advertised on the official YT channel? There isn't a single kit on there. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSims/videos It is suspect since the Journey to Batuu trailer is still on there with its 115k down votes.

Yibs are currently walking around with a pouty lip as there is only so much content they can create surrounding kits. One can only talk about a CAS or Build kits so many times before their young audiences are bored out of their minds and are ready to move on to the next thing. This exposes the problem most Yibs haven't had to deal with. That problem being that they only make content based on the new and shiny. When there isn't anything new or not enough shiny to keep content rolling out for a few weeks, they start complaining because their views take a nose dive. For as much time some of them have wasted yapping about how "in" they are with the team, I'd be pissed if I were 'in' with a company and they pulled the rug out from under me.

Then there is the money side of things. For all the kits sold to date, they have revolved around content that could have been added to other packs. But because people fall into the "It's only $5.00" trap, if a person has purchased all 9 kits, they've shelled out $45.00 (or more depending on where they live) for little bits of content. I'm not here to tell people what to spend their money on, but if this is Maxis' new thing, all these little bits of content are going to add up, fast.

I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future, but I'm seeing the start of the snowball effect here.

Kits are just filler content that competes with CC; Maxis should focus on what they can do with their internal dev tools that modders can't, which is provide new gameplay objects. But of course that'd require actual coding, not just the art department. Honestly at this point I would prefer if they paid modders to create 'official' CC instead.

And yes, you're right, Kits have no hype value. Yibs can push out at most 1 video per pack? Maybe 2 if they're BB-focused. These are not like EPs that can generate dozens of Let's Plays (though even those are harder to come by these days given that TS4's live mod is rather tired).
Mad Poster
#250 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 9:23 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 26th Oct 2021 at 9:37 PM.
So, the "sneak peak" in the presentation was the Guru announcing a hair from another pack being added to the base game for free.

Make it make sense.

Edit:

Also, they're adding scenarios to the base game. If you complete them, you get satisfaction points.

Lastly, it has taken them months to add a single window to the game. The window the announced this summer will be a base game addition (not kit), scheduled for delivery in late November.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Page 10 of 21
Back to top