Replies: 510 (Who?), Viewed: 19608 times.
Page 11 of 21
Field Researcher
#251 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 9:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54
So, the "sneak peak" in the presentation was the Guru announcing a hair from another pack being added to the base game for free.

Make it make sense.

Edit:

Also, they're adding scenarios to the base game. If you complete them, you get satisfaction points.

Lastly, it has taken them months to add a single window to the game. The window the announced this summer will be a base game addition (not kit), scheduled for delivery in late November.

They create multiple threads, forums, surveys etc on what the sim players want and what they get out of that is free scenerios and a painting

Instructor
#252 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicboy
They create multiple threads, forums, surveys etc on what the sim players want and what they get out of that is free scenerios and a painting

And then they wonder why we're throwing so much of our hard earned $$$$ at Alex Masse' on Patreon
Test Subject
#253 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 12:03 AM
To be honest though, scenarios could have potential and especially if they were implemented with the gamepacks and expansion packs. I think the scenarions are a nice little touch because they add some new and interesting gameplay. Imagine if they bring back the power outage scenario or the headmaster scenario from TS2. There is an endless possibility of original ideas.
Field Researcher
#254 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:18 AM
Scenarios seem pretty low effort not gonna lie. I don’t play that way, and to be honest most of the people who do only do it because the traditional gameplay sucks in this version.

Shifting paid content to the base game in the name of representation was funny; clearly they don’t keep track of what they’ve shifted over the years.

Color me not impressed with 2020, 2021, and probably 2022 at this rate. Also the express delivery thing sounds a whole lot like always online DRM
Scholar
#255 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir
To be honest though, scenarios could have potential and especially if they were implemented with the gamepacks and expansion packs. I think the scenarions are a nice little touch because they add some new and interesting gameplay. Imagine if they bring back the power outage scenario or the headmaster scenario from TS2. There is an endless possibility of original ideas.

Although it doesn't really look like these current ones add any kind of gameplay. They're just locking you to a certain way of playing that you could already do anyway.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Smeg Head
#256 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:39 AM
SDX = We toyed with the idea of loot boxes for TS4, but then thought no. Not because we're nice, but because it's too late in the day for TS4 - but come TS5... Anyhow, we're now doing Kits for TS4, so no need for loot boxes. After all, you do take a gamble when getting those Kits. "Is it going to work as advertised?" And the answer is... pfffttt. And believe us when we say, the SDX stuff will be a bit sucky, recolors mostly. Because if it is stuff that is anywhere near to being any damn good (as we imagine things can be good for TS4.) then it would be another paid Kit thing that we intend to swamp you with and not free SDX.

Did anyone else hear them speak this truth in the livestream? Or was it just me? Those pesky voices in my head.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#257 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:56 AM
I didn't watch the live stream, but I'm not sure who exactly they are representing with a calendar and other things they've taken from paid DLC and put into the base game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
SDX = We toyed with the idea of loot boxes for TS4, but then thought no. Not because we're nice, but because it's too late in the day for TS4 - but come TS5... Anyhow, we're now doing Kits for TS4, so no need for loot boxes. After all, you do take a gamble when getting those Kits. "Is it going to work as advertised?" And the answer is... pfffttt. And believe us when we say, the SDX stuff will be a bit sucky, recolors mostly. Because if it is stuff that is anywhere near to being any damn good (as we imagine things can be good for TS4.) then it would be another paid Kit thing that we intend to swamp you with and not free SDX.

Did anyone else hear them speak this truth in the livestream? Or was it just me? Those pesky voices in my head.

As a person who mods, are you convinced that this whole SDX thing really isn't going to cause problems with mods and custom content or the game in general?
Smeg Head
#258 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 3:09 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 27th Oct 2021 at 3:37 AM.
Well, the explanation they gave of them did make it sound like they would be single, one-off objects. Non-interactive decorative stuff mostly. (More Gnomes.) Recolors, probably. (More of the same Gnomes.) Heck, they've been slacking off giving us interactive gameplay stuff in paid GPs that are nothing more than souped-up SPs masquerading as GPs. Can't imagine they'll be giving us interactive stuff with gameplay elements for free!

Now what would be a nice idea, is if the competition artwork they did show in the livestream, did find its way into the game. That would be some nice new paintings and posters, and the one that looked like a stained-glass window was actually made to be a stained- glass window. I'd even be happy to shell out a couple of quid for it, but only if 100% of the proceeds went to the charity that fella was talking about, not one penny to EA. Heck, I'd even commend EA for doing that.

As far as paid DLC stuff being moved to base game update stuff, as being "representational" and "inclusive," well, you got me there. Last minute, made up excuses that they are going to stick to no matter how illogical or inexplicable. Because what's the alternative explanation? We're nicking the paid stuff to pad out the lack of stuff in base game, because it's already there for the taking and we can't be arsed to make brand new stuff. Heck, we gotta try and sell this game for the next three years, gotta pad out the flat base game with something.

More voices in my head telling me the truth of it.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#259 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 8:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
Well, the explanation they gave of them did make it sound like they would be single, one-off objects. Non-interactive decorative stuff mostly. (More Gnomes.) Recolors, probably. (More of the same Gnomes.) Heck, they've been slacking off giving us interactive gameplay stuff in paid GPs that are nothing more than souped-up SPs masquerading as GPs. Can't imagine they'll be giving us interactive stuff with gameplay elements for free!

Now what would be a nice idea, is if the competition artwork they did show in the livestream, did find its way into the game. That would be some nice new paintings and posters, and the one that looked like a stained-glass window was actually made to be a stained- glass window. I'd even be happy to shell out a couple of quid for it, but only if 100% of the proceeds went to the charity that fella was talking about, not one penny to EA. Heck, I'd even commend EA for doing that.

As far as paid DLC stuff being moved to base game update stuff, as being "representational" and "inclusive," well, you got me there. Last minute, made up excuses that they are going to stick to no matter how illogical or inexplicable. Because what's the alternative explanation? We're nicking the paid stuff to pad out the lack of stuff in base game, because it's already there for the taking and we can't be arsed to make brand new stuff. Heck, we gotta try and sell this game for the next three years, gotta pad out the flat base game with something.

More voices in my head telling me the truth of it.

Considering the shape Bust the Dust kit was in at release, I can't imagine that free game play would be better.

As for the representation thing, it is just more proof of how much they love their buzzwords and will use them even when it doesn't make sense. They've abused their chest-thumping tactics as a means of trying to win brownie points and will continue to do so as long as it is tolerated. "See! See! Are we not the best company ever? We're giving you back the stuff you already paid for in the name of free content!" Yeah, no.

It is lost on them that when people do things from their hearts, they don't go around beating on drums, brag or continually rub it in the faces of others. Said people allow their behavior speak for itself and shine. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't have the stomach for adults that are in constant search of endless praise. Does EA give them all cookies after they have their potty breaks too? I have many beefs with the gaming industry, but team Maxis are some of the neediest people in the industry. They can talk shit all day long, but at the end of the day, it's "Look at Us! Look at us! We're the hardest working team in the industry!" They can talk to my paw because I'm not buying their bullshit.
Mad Poster
#260 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 9:08 AM
Scenarios would be much better if they added some actual gameplay and were integrated into the game.

Like, your home being infested with bugs or haunted by ghosts due to your home being on a burial ground (like in TS3). Living in a high crime area, so you’re prone to getting robbed and your neighbors are hostile and may fight. With other packs installed, you would see things like having a singular, VERY obsessed fan that actively follows you from lot to lot, a distant relative passed away and you inherit a business that you have to sustain or sell, or a vacation from hell while camping.

“Start from 0, get to $1,000,000” is something players already do.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Test Subject
#261 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54

Lastly, it has taken them months to add a single window to the game. The window the announced this summer will be a base game addition (not kit), scheduled for delivery in late November.

Never forget this tweet that exposes just how incompetent these devs really are.
Mad Poster
#262 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 10:26 AM
Some of yall still gonna buy kits

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#263 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 12:51 PM

This is purely a case of too many people doing too many things.

I assume to make ONE window, you'll need:
A Project Manager (To allocate resources to said window)
A 3D Modeler (For high and low detail models)
A Texture Artist (if this person is not also the 3D modeler)
A Rigger (if this person is also not the 3D modeler - Window are comprised of multiple meshes, so they need to be rigged)
A Designer (who controls what swatches come with said window)
A Writer (For flavor text)
Translator(s) (For said flavor text)
Programmer and/or Scripter (to integrate all of the facets of the window into a package to use in game)
QA (To test the window for errors)

I'm sure someone is missing. Yes, it's a lot of people, but the team could VERY EASILY reduce time by... finding a team member who is multitalented and letting them make it? Then it wouldn't take 3 months? Indie and smaller studios do just fine with overlapping talent. I supposed this is the issue of specialization. Everything can one thing VERY well. What happens is that everyone is involved in the production of event the smallest of things which take a very long time.

What makes this irritating, to me, is the general design of the window is more or less the same as the Moschino Stuff windows. They could quite easily do a quick and dirty edit of the taller window and throw it in the base game. I swear no one would notice. I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot and are telling us now because they forgot to make it (like they forgot the anniversary one year), but it really should not take MONTHS to produce ONE window that is very similar to an existing window.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#264 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Some of yall still gonna buy kits

I've bought 1 kit since this fiasco started. I said in a previous post that I wouldn't buy Courtyard Oasis unless I found Bogey and Bergman lookalike sims to add to my game so I could recreate a Casablanca-like scene for some pose-taking. Well, I found those sims. In my excitement I downloaded them . . . only to find out that my dumb ass didn't check if they were for TS4 or not. They weren't - they were for TS3. So, I ended up buying a kit for nothing (that is, at least for nothing as far as what I intended it for. Yeah, I could try to make my own Bogey and Bergman sims, but I'm not that creative when it comes to CAS.)

Anyway, indeed you're right @SneakyWingPhoenix because we all don't play our games the same way. The way some play, they NEED some - if not all - those kits. Some need certain GPs and EPs to play the way they want. And ALL of us need certain things that EA/Maxis is still yet to add or do to the game. I suppose all of this updating and free stuff and fake gameplay additions and potential content-to-come is a continual attempt to keep us relatively gratified, pacified and satisfied while they continue to rake in the money. It doesn't work for some of us, of course, though many of us won't admit that. But, hey, we all play the game for pleasure - they, on the other hand, play for money. If the kits continue to give us pleasure, EA/Maxis is never gonna stop.

So, yeah, some of us are still gonna buy kits. Forever.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
Instructor
#265 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 3:24 PM
I like kits. I now find I don't need all of them and if they become costumes of the world kinds of kit I won't be buying many of them.
Alchemist
#266 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 12:47 AM
I bought one kit and have no plans to buy any of the others done. As to who buys what, it really is nobody else's business to judge if others buy any, all, or none.
Alchemist
#267 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 8:26 AM
OH MY GOD I miss being excited for an expansion pack, I think last time was 2013 and Island Paradise (or 2012 with Seasons which I was stoked about and it delivered) - that's like 8 years ago

what does his name even mean?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#268 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 4:05 PM
I can't believe this game is still dragging out...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#269 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 9:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGarden
OH MY GOD I miss being excited for an expansion pack, I think last time was 2013 and Island Paradise (or 2012 with Seasons which I was stoked about and it delivered) - that's like 8 years ago

I was super excited for The Sims 4 Seasons. And I despise that to this day because I never wanted to be given a reason to actually have to play The Sims 4, and somehow they gave me one.

Before that, probably Into The Future, and nothing since Seasons.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#270 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 11:57 PM
Through GiGi I found out they're making The Sims 4 Scenarios update or whatever. Dunno why at first mistaken them cinematics (which is a good and bad idea at the sane time imo to not greenlit it), but once I read what they are my two thoughts occur about the whole ordeal

1) I'm 100 positive they won't be a good as TS2 ones (do I need to explain)
2) Bevause of the above, making them shitty and not live up the sequal, task-box requirement is the least thing TS4 needs, cause there's too many them, which mind you it woudn't be a complain (or very least highlighted often as such) if these tasks-quests things that are "do as-I-told, not-as-you-want" were engaging to the player, instead of being inconvience to sandbox play.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#271 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 2:41 AM
I like quests/tasks to do but they need to be optional and there needs to be enough other gameplay to do if players do not choose to do them. I loved things like the tomb explorations in WA in 3, but if folks did not want to do them there were other new things available such as the martial arts, nectar making and so on.
Scholar
#272 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 4:38 AM
I rather they just fix the game up instead of just polishing it with Scenarios, Artwork, and Hair relaunches.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#273 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 10:29 AM
Talking of hair relaunches, were the black sims hairs any worse than the white sims hairs in the first place? They all looked pretty dire and plastic to me. Though I do agree that a wider range of natural african hair was needed, that could have been added without a complete rework that took months.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#274 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 3:20 PM
Steam discount on Sims 4 base game and a few other packs going on now https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+4
Scholar
#275 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 4:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fascisthater
Steam discount on Sims 4 base game and a few other packs going on now https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+4

I got curious.
Wow, the non-discounted expansions are 55 Canadian Dollars. With the exchange rate, they should be no more than 50. Not that I needed any more reasons not to buy this game.

If I bought all the exp, game, stuff, and kit packs without taking advantage of the bundles, I would be out almost 1,200 Canadian dollars. At the current exchange rate, that makes 971USD.

I'm thinking no game is worth that much. Not even a good game.

Sims 3 with everything except the store comes to about 540 Canadian Dollars at the moment. With probably about twice the amount of gameplay and items judging by what I read and hear. And even that is stretching the amount of money that I think is reasonable to invest in a game. But considering, I've been playing it since 2009 and will do so for the future, I think that's reasonable.

I wonder if the Sims4 will have that long-term playability that Sims2 and Sims3 have. It will have to have at least the legs that Sims2 has to justify that kind of money.
Page 11 of 21