Replies: 510 (Who?), Viewed: 19754 times.
Page 5 of 21
Alchemist
#101 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 4:01 PM
Sad what the franchise has come to.
Mad Poster
#102 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyinbmore
Sad what the franchise has come to.

It's definitely a strange feeling I sense- Batuu was probably the only time that there was serious threat to the fandom, but there hasn't really been a pack that absolutely nuked fan confidence in the developers in one go. Instead, there's been a sort of slow burnout among the gameplay fans, in that the baseline level of enthusiasm & fan expectations seems to be trending downwards post-2018.

Sure, there's still excitement for new packs, but a lot of that dies down within a few days. Compare and contrast to Seasons a few years ago, where excitement seemed to be significantly longer-lasting. TBH, there even seems to be more excitement for CC releases IMO.

Moreso, a significant number of simmer communities have evaporated (even many Sims 4 websites), and Youtube Sims Let's Plays are almost a thing of the past, relegated to only the simtubers who have the personality to make the gameplay interesting.
Mad Poster
#103 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:22 PM
People are just getting tired of TS4. They want a new game already.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#104 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 8:15 PM
Based on what the youtube algorithm suggests to me, it seems quite a few previously die-hard Sims4 youtubers are doing Let's plays and other stuff with TS3 or TS2 lately. Obviously, that is based somewhat on what I'm interested in, but other than LGR and Pleasantsims, I don't actually subscribe to any of those.
So based on that impression and the comments underneath, quite a lot of people seem to be going back to TS3 or TS2. Even more casual players who seem to know nothing about modding, computers and how to make sure the games work well, are sick of it all. I am tempted to send them all to NRAAS and here.
Alchemist
#105 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 10:21 PM
Maybe this is a very water is wet comment but whatever. Even though the basegame was lackluster, I felt like it had great potential and TS4 could've been a great game had they put out great expansion packs like Generations and a Pets one in which there is more to do or an OFB one and maybe something new, maybe an expansion in which you get to travel to certain destinations and perform different jobs like military or business - or an expansion pack about school life: play as a teacher or as a student. But no, instead they waste their resources on Star Wars, Garbage Island, Strangerville and lackluster EP's such as Island Living and Snowy Escape.

what does his name even mean?
Alchemist
#106 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGarden
Maybe this is a very water is wet comment but whatever. Even though the basegame was lackluster, I felt like it had great potential and TS4 could've been a great game had they put out great expansion packs like Generations and a Pets one in which there is more to do or an OFB one and maybe something new, maybe an expansion in which you get to travel to certain destinations and perform different jobs like military or business - or an expansion pack about school life: play as a teacher or as a student. But no, instead they waste their resources on Star Wars, Garbage Island, Strangerville and lackluster EP's such as Island Living and Snowy Escape.

To be honest, I don't think any of that would have made the game any better. At least for me anyway. Going from a huge open world to a small closed world is a major difference between this game and 3. I personally think TS3 was made ambitiously ahead of the available technology. Combine a large open living world where not only you're playing your family, other family and characters were living in the background and it's no wonder that game was laggy and this small game with a closed world runs like a champ on more modern hardware. TS4 isn't suffering from content in my opinion.
Scholar
#107 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 5:45 AM
I can only speak for myself but the looks of the sims and the environment, the awful blurry textures, the cabbage hair, the lack of eyelashes, and of course, the lack of CAS and Open World basically decided for me right at the beginning that this game would not be for me. To my eyes, this was an ugly plastic looking little game. I couldn't imagine paying this much money and then looking at this for any length of time. And then the first Twitch streams came out and it was just awful. I saw neighbors walking into a sim house, sitting in a child's bedroom on the bed with no regard. It looked like bad programming from the start where home lots didn't seem to be any different from the outside if other sims could just walk inside. There was such a general lack of immersion and a lot of superficiality from the beginning. It seemed all so perfunctory. People always talked about its potential but I wasn't going to pay for "potential" when the base was so lacking. So, I noped out of there quite quickly. Sims3 base game had potential because it was a finished game at the beginning. TS4 was not and seems, it still isn't.

And while I know almost nothing about programming, I've read about the disorganized and messy spaghetti coding the Sims teams do, both for Sims3 and Sims4, partially due to the separation of different teams that work on different stuff. I wish I could now find the site that I read. It had a nice graphic that compared 'clean' and the 'messy' programming in the two games in a way even I could understand. And especially how much worse this would get the more is added. And how difficult it becomes to find any errors. No wonder they are so bad at fixing bugs. And good at breaking stuff while fixing stuff. It's very difficult to find errors and see how things hang together if the code is so messy.
This site gives an explanation of its repercussions: https://www.bmc.com/blogs/spaghetti-code/

"Spaghetti code is a pejorative piece of information technology jargon that is caused by factors like unclear project scope of work, lack of experience and planning, an inability to conform a project to programming style rules, and a number of other seemingly small errors that build up and cause your code to be less streamlined overtime. Typically, spaghetti code occurs when multiple developers work on a project over months or years, continuing to add and change code and software scope with optimizing existing programming infrastructure.
This usually results in somewhat unplanned, convoluted coding structures that favor GOTO statements over programming constructs, resulting in a program that is not maintainable in the long-run."

Sound familiar?
Instructor
#108 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 12:31 PM
They do need to clean it out. I quite like this game and if they gave it a makeover and cleared up the bugs I wouldn't want to go over to Sims 5. That's for the younger Simmers.

Getting rid of a lot of their staff years' ago didn't help matters at all and contracting workers for short times doesn't either, in my opinion but I like Eco Lifestyle and Cottage Living which are more demanding. Some things I've found in backgrounds etc. leave the impression that their makers have left in a hurry leaving them unfinished!
Scholar
#109 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 4:10 PM
I think another issue with bug fixing is, it's time spent on stuff that doesn't make any money. The sims teams are not going to get the time and resources to fix serious bugs while people are still buying the game pack, expansions, and stuff packs. And once that doesn't happen anymore, the game will be abandoned since bug fixing doesn't make money.
Like TS2 and TS3, it will be abandoned with the mess that was created through its lifetime.
With EA, if the game isn't in a good place from the beginning, fixing bigger issues retroactively isn't going to happen. Adding features and elements that are missing, yes, since it's "new" stuff that people pay for, but fixing errors and bugs, I don't think so. Which means, that the game is going to be more and more broken the longer they can make it last. And the errors and bugs are going to get worse since they will get harder to fix. And I just don't think they get sufficient time and resources to do that.
Theorist
#110 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 4:55 PM
Agree. If you don't like the game at launch IME there's no amount of content that will be added to "fix" the game for you.
Mad Poster
#111 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 5:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310175
I can only speak for myself but the looks of the sims and the environment, the awful blurry textures, the cabbage hair

'Cabbage' hair. Now that's a new one. I usually just summarize it up into "Ye Olde Kingdom of Crayons", since it all looks like crayon wax to me.

Quote:
and of course, the lack of CAS and Open World basically decided for me right at the beginning that this game would not be for me.

I used to be one of those people that hated TS3, but after the recent release of the Smoothness Patch, I decided to give TS3 another chance and now I admit that the Create A Style tool is a life saver. I never need 6GB of CC recolours ever again. I miss it so much whenever I play TS1/2/4. With TS1/2 I can understand why it's not a feature, but TS4? What's the excuse for not having it EA?

With the Open World I am still undecided. There are things I love about it and things I don't like, but I admit that this semi-open world of TS4 is just, well, BS. Either go full lot mode à la TS1/2 or go full Open World. Don't do a half-ass attempt at both simultaneously.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#112 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 12:49 PM
Quote:
I think another issue with bug fixing is, it's time spent on stuff that doesn't make any money. The sims teams are not going to get the time and resources to fix serious bugs while people are still buying the game pack, expansions, and stuff packs. And once that doesn't happen anymore, the game will be abandoned since bug fixing doesn't make money.
Like TS2 and TS3, it will be abandoned with the mess that was created through its lifetime.
With EA, if the game isn't in a good place from the beginning, fixing bigger issues retroactively isn't going to happen. Adding features and elements that are missing, yes, since it's "new" stuff that people pay for, but fixing errors and bugs, I don't think so. Which means, that the game is going to be more and more broken the longer they can make it last. And the errors and bugs are going to get worse since they will get harder to fix. And I just don't think they get sufficient time and resources to do that.

Yeah. And they want to expand the years for this game. Makes you wonder, whether or not they will end TS4 life span till it's crippled so hard like simcity or whatever Part of me wants that, as that a be delicious bites to them for us/me, but part of me doesn't cause well - the franchise is in danger

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#113 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 10:24 AM

Images are being weird about loading; I don't know if it's a MTS thing or if my internet connection is having a brain fart. I digress. In the event the image attached to this post doesn't load, here's what I'm responding to:

Quote:
SimmerErin (She/Her) @erin_simmer
Unpopular opinion, but I don't think the Sims team "copies" modders. Most of the time, the timing doesn't add up, as it takes a long while to make a pack. Plus, the team having to avoid any concept a modder has done would cause a lot of issues, and be quite limiting

https://twitter.com/erin_simmer/sta...525932005859336

Cats and Dogs was released in 2017 with its robot vacs.

A upright vac mod was released for TS4 in 2018.

SIMS CAN VACUUM NOW! | VACUUM CLEANER MOD REVIEW | THE SIMS 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOZOj0Wp8s

https://necrodogmtsands4s.tumblr.co...dated-to-v2#_=_

The very broken Bust the Dust kit with upright vacs was released in March 2021.

I'm not going to state that Maxis wasn't working on upright vacuum cleaners from 2018 to 2021, but considering that Bust the Dust was a kit, the fact that it isn't tied into anything game play wise hence why sims are inspired by pee puddles, and so on, I don't think they spent a whole bunch of time on it.

A curious coincidence?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#114 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 11:57 PM

https://twitter.com/TheSimCommunity...936220835876864

People have blown over $800.00 on this game; EA wants more. Now not only do people have to shell out cash for packs, but you also have to pay for a subscription too for those that have to 'have it all'. Greed, smells bad.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#115 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 12:15 AM
There are some signs that the production behind TS4 looks beyond the official forum for feedback about the game; but does anyone know for a fact that they read the threads at MTS?
Alchemist
#116 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 1:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andes
There are some signs that the production behind TS4 looks beyond the official forum for feedback about the game; but does anyone know for a fact that they read the threads at MTS?

I doubt it very highly. EA was here in the past and is now long gone. I think they pretty much know what is here by now.
Field Researcher
#117 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 1:01 AM
I thought so, but thank you.
Mad Poster
#118 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 3:10 AM
Absolutely DREADING what the new kit is going to be. I assume Gameplay, because the last CAS kit wasn't it.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Test Subject
#119 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 4:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
https://twitter.com/erin_simmer/sta...525932005859336

Cats and Dogs was released in 2017 with its robot vacs.

A upright vac mod was released for TS4 in 2018.

SIMS CAN VACUUM NOW! | VACUUM CLEANER MOD REVIEW | THE SIMS 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOZOj0Wp8s

https://necrodogmtsands4s.tumblr.co...dated-to-v2#_=_

The very broken Bust the Dust kit with upright vacs was released in March 2021.

I'm not going to state that Maxis wasn't working on upright vacuum cleaners from 2018 to 2021, but considering that Bust the Dust was a kit, the fact that it isn't tied into anything game play wise hence why sims are inspired by pee puddles, and so on, I don't think they spent a whole bunch of time on it.

A curious coincidence?

I know we had a dairy cow in the Sims 3, but I always thought something was strange about the timing and similarities of the cottage living cow to the mod created by PandaSama, Mizore Yukii, and Icemunmun.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/dairy-cow-mod-47395483

I think PandaSama was working on bunk beds just a little before they came out in the Sims 4 too.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...bed/id/1517532/

But she also has toddler bunk beds.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...bed/id/1527036/
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 1:19 PM
Copying modders (or implementing a popular feature in an official capacity) has been a thing since The Sims 2.
People made piercings in the glasses section - Bon Voyage added a jewelry section.
People made spiral staircases after asking for them for ages - Apartment Life added some.

Some weren't added until Sims 3.
The Triplet & Quads hack is popular in 2 - Sims can naturally get triplets in 3.
People use the Seasons hot/cold overlay to give sims tattoos in 2 - Ambitions (I think) add them in 3.
I was surprised it took them until 3 to add bunk beds, since people had made custom ones for 2 since 06-07.

But anyway, it's neither new or surprising.
Scholar
#121 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 4:31 PM
It might not be new but there is a difference.
With TS2 and TS3, modders and then EA added stuff that didn't exist in previous games. For TS4, they only add things that already existed previously after people get tired of waiting and make their own.

The first instance of this, by adding stuff that modders add, they are paying attention to what people would like and then add it. With TS4, they only add it because people give up waiting for previous features. Knowing full well that these are things that should have been in the game based on previous iterations.

It's basically showing again, that TS2 and TS3 advanced the series while TS4 did not. After almost 7 years, they are still filling holes that modders are trying to fill first. Obviously, with a fourth iteration, there is more to fill. But still. 7 years!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#122 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 5:31 PM
Quote:
With TS2 and TS3, modders and then EA added stuff that didn't exist in previous games. For TS4, they only add things that already existed previously after people get tired of waiting and make their own.

The first instance of this, by adding stuff that modders add, they are paying attention to what people would like and then add it. With TS4, they only add it because people give up waiting for previous features. Knowing full well that these are things that should have been in the game based on previous iterations.

It's basically showing again, that TS2 and TS3 advanced the series while TS4 did not. After almost 7 years, they are still filling holes that modders are trying to fill first. Obviously, with a fourth iteration, there is more to fill. But still. 7 years!

This!

One of the first examples of this that comes to my mind is with lounge chairs. For anybody that has been around since TS4 released, they'll remember all the whining from Maxis about how 'lounge chairs and beards' were too hard and expensive. Eventually TS4 did get lounge chairs and they no longer complain that things are too hard; if they do think that, they no longer do so publicly. Family trees was another that fell into the pit of too hard and expensive, so people were told to write them down on a piece of paper.

TS4 doesn't make EA a 6 billion dollar company, but it is strange hearing this kind of nonsense from a multi-billion dollar company especially these days when EA doesn't blink as much of a eyelash to drop a billion-plus on a gaming studio just so they can reduce any possible competition.
Mad Poster
#123 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 6:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Family trees was another that fell into the pit of too hard and expensive, so people were told to write them down on a piece of paper.

You know the joke "hope there are flying cars in 2020?", well to be frank - we still haven't got nor flying nor running on road cars.

What my original intent, with this was one, the forth sequal was released in TS4 and they say fuck it to FAMILY TREES when the game didn't even introduce anything substantial or solid in the game for make up for this abstain feature and how blatantly unfinished the game first came out. TWO THOUSAND AND FORTEEN. FAMILY TIES. Do I really need to describe, dare I utter how embarrinsingly LAZY the game had to SKIP over FAMILY TREES, which is like DE most important game aspect that includes procreation/legacy continuation. And like suggesting people to WRITE down said data is the most condescending and INSULTING part that added salt to the wound.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#124 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 8:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysim
TS4 really, after more than 7 years of existence, I feel I have now i have almost zero control of the game at all..

Same feeling here. I mean, it's hard to have a gameplay as you want. The sims 4 are completely autonomous and all they do is constantly socializing, you never have a simday in peace , it is hard to manage your sims compared to the sims 3 . They are obsessed with small appliances, they cook when the meal is already ready etc and that's make the experience very negative to me. Even the pets are completely out of control they always needs attention I am so tired of these.
And the stupid water restriction in my town aww that's horrible to have the notification because my sims take a shower or a bath.
If only there is something to correct these, it'll be okay. I am hear for your solution I am a bit off the sims 4 community.

I am back with a new blog : http://simlishliars.canalblog.com/ in French sorry !! ...Thank you for the visit.
Lucie is not my real name, she was a sims from a story I imagined a dozen years ago.
Scholar
#125 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 8:10 AM
Quote:

This is something I don't mind at all. Wished more developers (of any game) paid attention to popular mods. Especially mods that add QoL features or improve performance. It is only natural that a legion of modders will come up with things that turn out to be very popular with gamers. I also still like to think that some of the developers try to squeeze in their own little projects for the game they are working on. If this is based on popular mods, cool.

Quote:

I agree with you. But they just fill gaps in content. Not missing features or enhancing game play.
Page 5 of 21