Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2016 at 10:44 PM
Default Sims 3 Sliders
I've recently just learned how to install custom content and have successfully been able to use them while playing. The only problem I'm having is with the sliders. I've tried to use tutorials but none of them have been helpful so far. Normally when I install content I do the documents>Electronic Arts>sims3>Mods>Packages but one of the tutorials i read said to go to Start > (My) Computer > C: > Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Mods > Package. I don't have another Mods folder though so I was wondering if I should create one for the sliders or if there's something else I have to download to make them work.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th May 2016 at 2:46 AM Last edited by sbugg : 29th May 2016 at 4:17 AM. Reason: wording my explanation better
Just put the sliders in the mods folder you have, like any other piece of CC that is in .package format. You don't need to download anything special or put anything in your program files. More than likely, that tutorial was written before patch 1.12 (meaning that tutorial is butt old). Before that patch, users had to put their .package files in their Program files, since the game didn't really support .package files. Unless you're playing on an extremely old version of the game, you don't need to worry about that. Just put your new sliders in the mods folder in your My Documents, and they should work.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th May 2016 at 8:37 PM
I think I know why your sliders aren't working. Your install location is fine, although I've never heard of mods being put in the Program Files directory instead of My Documents. When it comes to installing sliders there's another step you have to take; it's not just a simple download-and-drop in the Mods folder.

What makes installing sliders different is that you must also have a core mod that removes the limit on number of sliders per CAS section (i.e. "Mouth", "Eyes", "Nose"). By default, the game limits the number of sliders per section to about 8-10, depending on the section. I believe Mouth only has 8, that is why most custom sliders are found in this section instead. You will need a core mod that increases the number of sliders allowed per section, also known as a slider multiplier. Core mods such as AwesomeMod and Nraas MasterController have settings to remove the limit. You may want to read up on the documentation for whichever of these mods you choose to find out how to do that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th May 2016 at 8:56 PM
Thank you so much! I downloaded the Nraas MasterController and I can finally see the sliders.Thank you! I really appreciate the help.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th May 2016 at 10:10 PM
Slight technicality, perhaps for others reading this thread. While MasterController does indeed increase the number of allowable sliders, unlike the other two mods I am aware of that do this (Awesome and XCAS), it is not actually a core mod. MC is a script mod.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th May 2016 at 4:59 AM
My bad - Nraas is indeed a script mod! I usually lump them together as the must-have mods just because of how much functionality they enable, then generalize them as "core" mods.

And yes, I've forgotten about XCAS, which is available here on MTS. I usually just have MasterController or AwesomeMod set to increase sliders, on top of the other functionality they provide. Note that XCAS's slider multiplier/increaser can't be used alongside AwesomeMod, you can only have one or the other.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st May 2016 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Slight technicality, perhaps for others reading this thread. While MasterController does indeed increase the number of allowable sliders, unlike the other two mods I am aware of that do this (Awesome and XCAS), it is not actually a core mod. MC is a script mod.

This explains a lot. I could see the sliders in the game but they weren't working. I'll try the XCAS and see how that goes
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st May 2016 at 10:16 PM
With MC alone, you may need to increase the allowable number of sliders in its settings. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Settings > CAS > Max Sliders (default is 100). This requires MC version 132 or higher. In order to see/use the additional sliders in all instances of CAS (or CAH), you must have the MC Integration optional add-on. Just in case either or both of these things are at fault here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st May 2016 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
With MC alone, you may need to increase the allowable number of sliders in its settings. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Settings > CAS > Max Sliders (default is 100). This requires MC version 132 or higher. In order to see/use the additional sliders in all instances of CAS (or CAH), you must have the MC Integration optional add-on. Just in case either or both of these things are at fault here.

So does that mean the Nraas should be used along with the XCAS? I had removed the Nraas and tried installing the three most recent XCAS but when I attempted the startup I was given a message (attached picture below.) I have the most current version of the game so I was confused when it didn't work.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st May 2016 at 11:32 PM
Was afraid you were going to ask that -- about using them together I mean.

I use both. MC because...well, obviously, and XCAS full version because of the greater flexibility it offers in other ways. One gotcha, you cannot have the MC Expanded Tattoo module and the special non-core version of XCAS Tattoo Locations hosted on our site in place together with the core XCAS full version because they will conflict and often corrupt sims or crash the game. But with both MC (sans Tattoo) and XCAS in play, sometimes it seems like MC is the one dictating the upper limit on slider functionality and sometimes is seems XCAS is. Seems to depend on load order, which isn't very controllable with dealing with a script and a core mod at the same time.

So, for the sake of sanity, I increased MC's allowable slider limit as soon as that function became available to us and at the same time use XCAS' optional tuning file to do the same, with both set to the same high number (300 I think it is in my game) and it all works again. Hate it when sliders show up but then don't function, it's like Lucy yanking the football away from Charlie Brown at the last minute, every time.

As for the core version mismatch message, the version of XCAS on the main MTS page is for Patch 1.69.43 precisely. Is this what your Launcher says? If you are on an older release of 1.69 or on 1.67, you need a version from here: https://sites.google.com/site/cmarxcas -- they may be called "obsolete," but Patch 1.67 is really still current for all intents and purposes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 6:59 PM
Now that I have the Nraas and the XCAS from the link, the sliders are functioning properly. It's such a relief to have that solved. Thank you and everyone else that replied to help me.