Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 1:03 PM
Default Skirt with bow
Hey guys, today I finished a interesting mesh (at least for me lol) I would like to hear your feedbacks about it, do you think it´s ready to be uploaded?

Thanks in advance
Screenshots

>>> JuBa_0oº <<<

Dr. Bumby:
"Everything has a season Alice. A flower blooms and fades away. Memories too, have a useful life."
My Simblr and all my creations at SimMist
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 1:19 PM
I would have to say no, it's not ready yet. The bow is very blurry, and the pleats don't quite make sense yet - pleats on skirts can't go all the way up to the top, or the skirt would uncrinkle and fall off; they have flat bands at the top like this or this.

A shadow behind the bow (on the actual skirt itself) would look more realistic too. The UV map on the skirt is a bit uneven - you can see it on the third pic, the stretched section on the green skirt - which can be easily fixed by applying a checkered pattern to the mesh in Milkshape, opening up the texture co-ordinate editor, and moving those rows of vertices up/down on the map until the checkers are all square.

I would also suggest changing the folds on the front of the skirt. This is a personal taste thing really, because I'm not a fan of the very harsh, dark, overcontrasted photoskinned style - the back is like that to some degree, but not so much that I'd say it's bad, just not to my taste. But the folds on the front are very big and deep and dark... and they look kinda messy on the red/yellow/purple pic, though not on the others. Well, up to you.

I'd also suggest avoiding the purple fur pattern . It kinda drowns out the texture and makes the whole thing look flat, which it isn't. I like the green pattern, but that's most likely just because it reminds me of school uniforms, which is the only context in which I've actually seen someone wear a pleated skirt .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#3 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 2:26 PM
Cool, it IS interesting! I agree with everything whiterider says, but I wanted to add about the crimped pattern, yeah, it looks a lot like cardboard to me, and it took me a while to see that it wasn't. Well, otherwise, I'm really excited to see how it improves!

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 11:57 PM
ok, so I guess this will take a few days xD I know almost nothing about clothing creation, so this will be an interesting challenge :-D
Thank you soooo much for all your suggestions, I´ll post again once I modify it all :-)
I just didn´t understand the "checkered pattern mesh in Milkshape" part... I think I don´t know how to do that :-S
Oh and about the folds, I thought they were darker than normal too, I tried to reduce the contrast a couple of times but that didn´t really work out, do you think I should change the stencil?

>>> JuBa_0oº <<<

Dr. Bumby:
"Everything has a season Alice. A flower blooms and fades away. Memories too, have a useful life."
My Simblr and all my creations at SimMist
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 12:19 AM
In Milkshape, select all your groups, then go to the Materials tab. Hit new -> Select image -> pick a checkered pattern (there's one attached) -> and back in Milkshape, hit Assign. Now, when you right-click in a viewport and select Textured, you'll see the pattern on your mesh.

Ah! If the folds are a stencil, that'd certainly explain it. Put them on the base texture/multiplier instead, so they get CASted along with the rest of the skirt.
Screenshots

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 4:10 AM
If you want to do it an easy way you can always find a skirt and outfit with a bow that you like from the game and frankenmesh them together. This way you can use textures and meshes from the game.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 4:35 PM
To be honest with you I think the bow is just a bit big, if you just make it a tad smaller so it fits. Feel free to disagree as it is your work, not mine.
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2012 at 7:18 PM
My personal taste prefers small bow on side of skirt (just like fancy skirt teenagers wearing in real life) more likely to big bow on the middle of skirt.
Your skirt looks very flat, try to improve the mesh and texturing to make it more soft.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: do not delete - contains useful info