Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotAdjuster 2.8 (Updated Jan 31, 2010)

by Mootilda Posted 19th Apr 2008 at 4:40 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:31 PM by Nysha

488 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 479 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 16 of 20
Site Helper
Original Poster
#376 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Andynator 11
Hi, I downloaded LotAdjustor but all the lots I've built and tried to Adjust AFTER installing Mansion and Garden stuff won't work (an error page appears).
First, make sure that you have the latest version (2.4). If you continue to have problems, please tell me the error message that you are getting. If you attach your neighborhood and lot packages, I can try to reproduce and solve the problem.

Quote: Originally posted by mayfly
I'm getting this message:
OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT
The lot adjustment was aborted! An error occurred during modification of your lot. The current version of the LotAdjuster is unable to continue.
First, make sure that you have the latest version (2.4). If you continue to have problems, please attach your neighborhood and lot packages, so that I can try to reproduce the problem. (Thanks, GeneralOperationsDirector.)

Quote: Originally posted by Andynator 11
Also, If I try "Adjusting" a 6x5 (or 5x6 - not to sure which one?!)lot , It comes up as a 6x6 lot so I can't expand it to a 6x6 lot because "apparently" it already is one. Have you seen these problems before? Do you have any solutions? thanks.
As plasticbox points out, the 6x6 maximum size includes 1 neighborhood tile for each road. This is a game limitation and has no "solution".
#377 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 8:08 PM
"(Thanks, GeneralOperationsDirector.)"

You`re welcome.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
#378 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 10:35 AM Last edited by pepsihamster : 28th Jan 2009 at 1:06 PM.
Hi, first of all, thanks for this amasing tool. I have run into a problem. In Strangetown, there is this one big community lot (sorry non English game, so I don't know what it's called originally). It has several buildings - a kiosk type of thing, a clothing store, a building to the right that looks like you could make it into a diner, and in the "back yard" there is an enormous building with a tiny pool. I put it in the bin and took out 2 copies. On each copy I demolished the buildings I did not want and removed every single thing including any tiles on the area I want to shrink, leaving only the buildings I want to keep. So now everything is completely empty where I want to shrink it. There is enough room around, too, which is empty. When I run the lot adjuster it says:

Area Not Empty

Invalid POOL:
Swimming Pool Surface is in an invalid location.

I went into the lots again to double check that there is nothing left (through every story). It's completely empty where the pool was, too. There was this whole in the ground where the pool had been. So I leveled the ground to be in the same level as the rest, and thought it might have been the problem. But the lot adjuster still gives the same message. There is really nothing else to remove that I can see. Do you know what the problem is here?
Oh, and I use version 2.4 of the lot adjuster.
Field Researcher
#379 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 4:30 PM
hi, i need clarity on one thing. is it true that lots can only be shrunk/enlarged by 1 unit (10 tile) increments? for instance, if i build a house that's 12 tiles wide on a lot that's 20 tiles wide, i can't remove 6 or 8 tiles from the lot to make the outside space smaller?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#380 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mocha0030
is it true that lots can only be shrunk/enlarged by 1 unit (10 tile) increments?

Yes .

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#381 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 7:40 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 29th Jan 2009 at 8:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by pepsihamster
everything is completely empty where I want to shrink it. There is enough room around, too, which is empty. When I run the lot adjuster it says:

Area Not Empty

Invalid POOL:
Swimming Pool Surface is in an invalid location.
It sounds like the game did not remove the pool surface when you removed the pool; how very odd!

In any case, the correct solution is probably to remove the pool surface yourself. If you are familiar with SimPE, you should be able to just delete the entire pool surface record from the lot package:
Resource ID: 0C900FDB
Short name: POOL
Long name: Pool Surface
Be sure to backup your neighborhood before trying this, just in case it doesn't work as expected.

If you do not feel comfortable with SimPE, then attach your lot package to this thread and I'll remove the record for you.

Be sure to keep your backup until you are completely sure that there are no problems with the shrunken lot.
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#382 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 7:46 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 29th Jan 2009 at 8:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mocha0030
hi, i need clarity on one thing. is it true that lots can only be shrunk/enlarged by 1 unit (10 tile) increments? for instance, if i build a house that's 12 tiles wide on a lot that's 20 tiles wide, i can't remove 6 or 8 tiles from the lot to make the outside space smaller?
That is correct. Lots can only be a multiple of 1 neighborhood-sized tile or 10 lot-sized tiles. This is a game restriction, and there is nothing that the LotAdjuster can do to change it. (Thanks, plasticbox!)
Field Researcher
#383 Old 29th Jan 2009 at 8:06 PM
thanks for answering.
Lab Assistant
#384 Old 30th Jan 2009 at 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
If you do not feel comfortable with SimPE, then attach your lot package to this thread and I'll remove the record for you.

Thank you so much for your exellent help! Because you made me the picture from SimPe, I was able to do it myself. Both lots are now shrunk and seem to work great. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Mad Poster
#385 Old 30th Jan 2009 at 10:12 PM
I can never (and I honestly mean never) shrink a lot. I get that OBJECT REFERENCE error, and that is with any lot, even when the lot is empty, except for the portals. Is that a problem? Should the portals move while the lot is being shrunk?

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#386 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tree4me
I can never (and I honestly mean never) shrink a lot. I get that OBJECT REFERENCE error, and that is with any lot, even when the lot is empty, except for the portals. Is that a problem? Should the portals move while the lot is being shrunk?
If you have the standard portals (2 pedestrian, 2 car, 2 service), then the LotAdjuster will automatically move the portals for you when the lot is shrunk. If you have non-standard portals, then the LotAdjuster will not move them automatically, so I would recommend that you move them yourself before shrinking.

An Object Reference error often indicates that the operating system is having problems finding the SimPE DLLS. Did you extract all files from the zip file and copy them to a folder on your hard drive? Do you have .NET 2.0 installed? Which operating system you are running? Which EPs and SPs do you have?

If you'd like, I could take a look at one of the lots that you are unable to shrink and see whether I can determine what the problem is. Just zip your neighborhood package and lot package and attach the zipped file(s) to this thread.
#387 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tree4me

I keep getting the exact same error message, but I can't even seem to expand lots either.

Yes, I triple-checked the rar archive to make sure I got all of the files out. I put everything together in its own little folder under Program Files called LotAdjustor but it still is not working.

I'm using Windows Vista, btw.

The lot in question that I am trying to shrink is a completely empty 2x2 lot.

Trying to save space on the University campus by building tiny 1x1 houses and I'm really upset that it's not working.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#388 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 6:42 PM
Several people have had problems with Vista in the past. I was hoping that the 64-bit fix might resolve those problems, but it's possible that there is still a Vista-only issue with .NET. I know that Microsoft tried to remove some abilities in later versions of .NET (to try to resolve problems where the wrong version of a DLL was being loaded), but that they managed to break working programs in the process.

At what point do you get the object reference error? Before seeing the initial screen? After the initial screen, but before the neighborhood screen?

Do you get any additional information with the error? If so, could you copy the entire error information into a text file and attach it here?

My best suggestion at this time is to use Windows XP to run the LotAdjuster. Perhaps you have an old computer in your family which will not run the game, but could be used to run the LotAdjuster? Or, perhaps a friend would be willing to help you out by running the first phase of the adjustment, the phase which doesn't require the game itself? Several people who run the game on a MAC have used this method to successfully expand and shrink their lots.

If this is not an option, I would be willing to make the adjustments for you. Just attach your neighborhood and lot packages here. I only need the lot package for the actual lot that you want adjusted. Then, let me know what you want done to the lot and I'll run phase 1 of the adjustment. When you get the modified files back from me, you run phase 2 in your game. Be sure to backup before giving me the files and avoid running the game until you get the modified files back, since you may lose any changes that are made when the neighborhood package is replaced.

Also, if you are just looking for 1x1 lots, there are several sets available at MTS2; one set has the sun at the back of the lot and the other has the sun at the front. If you have problems finding them, I can find you a link.
Scholar
#389 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 9:26 PM
Thank you, I always wanted to make a smaller Lot than 2x2.
Although whenever I try it, it doesn't work.

Is the LotAdjuster compatible with the AnyGameStarter/BaseGameStarter by Numenor?

C-A
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#390 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 11:48 PM
CatMuto: the AGS/BGS doesn't change anything about how lots work.

I believe Mootilda will need something more detailed than "doesn't work". What is the error message you get? Which OS do you have? Etc .. please take a look at this thread and see how other people report problems.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#391 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 3:26 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 15th Feb 2009 at 3:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Thank you, I always wanted to make a smaller Lot than 2x2.
Although whenever I try it, it doesn't work.
I believe Mootilda will need something more detailed than "doesn't work". What is the error message you get? Which OS do you have? Etc .. please take a look at this thread and see how other people report problems.
Yes, I really need to know more about the problem before I can help. The more that you can tell me about what's occurring when you try to shrink a lot, the more likely that we can get it working for you. Posting a screenshot of the problem could also be helpful.

Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Is the LotAdjuster compatible with the AnyGameStarter/BaseGameStarter by Numenor?
The LotAdjuster is compatible with the AnyGameStarter. When attempting to adjust a lot, you will need to use the "Browse" button on the neighborhood selection screen to navigate to the correct AGS neighborhood. After that, proceed as usual.
Test Subject
#392 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 1:06 PM
i keep getting that the zip file has an error ... help
Site Helper
Original Poster
#393 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 2:50 PM
Perhaps you tried to download while I was updating with the latest version, which contains an important fix to a SimPE bug. Why don't you try downloading the zip file again?
Test Subject
#394 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 11:03 PM
Wow, this is sooooo kewl! I Love it!
However, I have a few thoughts. Don't laugh at me...(If I come back complaining, don't be mad at me, either.)
1) How do I back up my game?
2) This is compatible for lots with custom content, right?
3) Is it possible to shrink one side of the lot only?

logic is just a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#395 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 2:54 AM
1) Copy your entire game save directory (usually My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2) to a new location on your disk.
2) Yes, this is completely compatible with custom content.
3) Yes, you can choose which side(s) of the lot to shrink.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#396 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 8:01 AM
Mootilda,

I have a suggestion -- I'm still using an old version (1.1), but looking at the change log I don't see any mention that this has changed in the meantime, so I hope it's still a valid suggestion:

When the LA encounters a problem with shrinking a lot, would it be possible to make it go back, instead of exit immediately? I often "batch shrink" the lots I make, and my neighbourhoods are not in the standard location -- it's kind of tedious always having to restart and browse to the neighbourhood all over again, only because one of the lots had a problem.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#397 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 3:14 PM
Unfortunately, that may not as simple as it sounds. I added the abort logic to the LA because SimPE seemed to be hanging on to the corrupted version of the packages, even when I told it to abort the change. When niol found this bug, the only solution seemed to be to abort the entire process, since the alternative was to corrupt your neighborhood and lot packages.

That said, I am certainly willing to look at this problem again. Perhaps I'll be able to find another solution; one which will allow you to continue with your batch changes. I'll add it to the "to do" list.

Have you noticed that the latest version of the LA has versioned backups? This is a particularly useful feature for people who do batch updates.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#398 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 9:46 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 19th Feb 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: A bit more detail
Default How to Flatten Lot Edges
I just received a PM asking how to flatten lot edges. I expect that other people are interested in this procedure as well, so I'm posting it publicly.

Just follow the standard tutorial: Phase 1, steps 1-3. Then, instead of choosing how to expand the lot (step 4), click on the "Advanced" button and choose the options shown in the screenshot attached. Cllick on the "Finish" button and the edges will be flattened.

There's no need to follow Phase 2 of the tutorial, although you might want to do step 4: run the game and, in the neighborhood view, pick up the lot and move it until it "snaps" to the road. This will ensure that the neighborhood terrain matches the lot terrain changes.
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#399 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Have you noticed that the latest version of the LA has versioned backups? This is a particularly useful feature for people who do batch updates.

I've seen that, thank you =) it does sound useful.

#400 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 6:34 PM
Just an idea: How difficult would it be to have the Lot Browser part of the program list the name of the family living on the lot? It occurs to me that some people might find it easier to remember the name of the occupying family than the name of the lot.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Page 16 of 20