Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 6:58 PM Last edited by DOEreoh : 4th Aug 2009 at 7:55 PM.
Yes sir I did.

Ok anyways...
I just did a bit of experimenting with the different methods of procedure mentioned in this thread because it seem to be giving different results.

Using the tutorial only i obtained the following results...

-The originally cloned object retains its thumbnail and texture.
-The cloned object uses its custom thumbnail and custom texture.
File size: 599 kb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the tutorial and having deleted everything but the edited IMG, OBJDs, OBJKs and STBLs before fixing...

-The originally cloned object retains its thumbnail but does not use its original texture, it uses the same texture as the cloned object
File size: 76kb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the tutorial and having only deleted the 3 thumbnail resources and all IMGs except the edited one before fixing...

-The originally cloned object retains its thumbnail and texture.
File size: 84 kb

And last but not least, using the previously mentioned method.

I re-opened the the already fixed custom package, exported all resources, made a blank package, imported everything making sure to click the compress button and my file size was still the same, 84 kb.

Anyone having similar results?

DOEreoh
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
As I said above, however, on THIS site, we only accept painting mods that are original art, sims-related, or modified in some significant fashion to fit the game. That's not because of copyright, but because otherwise we'd have a million uploads of everybody's favorite picture; and really, with the cloner, it takes about five minutes to do a painting mod.

I photograph a lot and I wonder if it would be OK to submit paintings that are basing on my own photographs? Or should I stay away from submitting paintings? This is for Sims 3.

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:42 AM
Well, I have no authority, but it seems to me that photography is a form of "original art".

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 4:43 AM
Me too, but it could also be seen in other way too, I mean if everyone are uploading their crappy photographies it would not be so fun.

I tried to make my first painting in yesterday, but it hmm, borked the game severly. haha. All the text strings in games did not get the proper English sentences/names, but remained as variable names... Not a pretty sight and kind of hard to play, haha. The painting was erratic too. It resided in the original painting, and when placing it, it randomly become the original painting or the new painting. So I guess that try was not very successful. I believed that I followed the tutorial to the dots, but I used another painting (the 2-lips one) or maybe I got neglectful somewhere.

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Eminence Grise
#55 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetichigodream
I photograph a lot and I wonder if it would be OK to submit paintings that are basing on my own photographs? Or should I stay away from submitting paintings? This is for Sims 3.

That's an interesting question -- I'd suggest taking it to the Creator Issues forum, which is for discussions of moderation policies.
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 9:47 AM
Hi,

Where takes in the files?

Is it because of this that I have no icon in the game?

Thank you for your answers.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#57 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:23 PM
Delete the three THUM resources from your package and also delete the thumbnail cache (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails\ObjectThumbnails.package), this will be regenerated by the game. Your new thumbnail should then show up.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Test Subject
#58 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 5:09 PM
Thank you
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#59 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 7:38 PM
Thank you VERY VERY VERY much for the tutorial xanathon! My new upload wouldn't exist without it :D

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 9:33 PM
I was wondering, is it possible to change the look and texture of the actual frame around the painting?
Test Subject
#61 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 11:08 PM
Ok, I feel like a complete idiot and sorry for being a total noob, but I can't figure out how to open the dds file in photoshop. I was following along with this amazing tutorial just fine, but then I got to the Photoshop section and can't open the dds file.
Scholar
#62 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 11:15 PM
OK, I've read through this thread but unlucky for me nobody is as stupid as me and this question hasn't been asked. I really wish someone else had asked it first.

I completed the tutorial, step by step followed everything word for word. I changed the posterTeenBedroom to be a SmallFaces poster (personal use, lol)

Now I went all the way through to the end and the last line of the tut said basically

"and that's it done"

That's what done? Where is my picture? I don't use the game files to do these things, I have a seperate folder that is a copy of the originals, in case I mess up.

I opened the entire buiild0 again in S3PE and S3OC and can't see it.

How do I find my picture to make a .package file from it?
Scholar
#63 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 3:39 AM Last edited by aeval99 : 7th Aug 2009 at 3:52 AM.
Great tutorial. Thank you very much! I got everything to work and I've never made anything before (except one failed clothing recolour about 4 years ago). It didn't even crash my game.

I do have a few questions though.

~ How do I delete things in SP3e, I didn't see a delete button anywhere and couldn't do it by right-clicking on a file.

~ How do I know which file I am looking for? How did you know that it was not the _IMG file ending in CA95 that you wanted?

~ How on earth did you get the right perspective for the thumbnail? Mine kept getting hopelessly bent. It took me longer to mess with that than it did to do everything else, and it still looks hopeless. Are there any presets for that?

Quote: Originally posted by dyokabb
Hi,
Where takes in the files?

Is it because of this that I have no icon in the game?.

I never generated these files anywhere and yet everything worked fine. I was working saving to my desktop and not a folder, is that why?
Scholar
#64 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes

I opened the entire buiild0 again in S3PE and S3OC and can't see it.

How do I find my picture to make a .package file from it?

It should be wherever you were saving things to while you were working. I was working from my desktop. When I was done, my .package file was right on the desktop where it had been since I cloned it in the first step (although now altered).

I just used Delphy's installer and installed it like any other package I had downloaded.
Instructor
#65 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 8:43 AM
I made a very minor edit just for my own personal use to a painting I downloaded. Basically I just changed some small text under the picture from English to Simlish (yes I am anal like that).

Anyway, all I does was make a slight change to the image then resaved the DDS and put it back in to S3PE and saved. I checked and I didn't change anything else at all, though the file size of the DDS is slightly different.

The new picture shows with the Simlish writing shows up in the game (after deleting my cache files) but the strings got broken somehow as I just have *** and a long number.

I read the tutorial and tried to check and see if everything was okay along the lines of the tutorial and it seemed to me it was. Should I just start over from scratch and just clone this objects? Is there any easy way to make minor image edits without having to go through all this each time?
Scholar
#66 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
It should be wherever you were saving things to while you were working. I was working from my desktop. When I was done, my .package file was right on the desktop where it had been since I cloned it in the first step (although now altered).

I just used Delphy's installer and installed it like any other package I had downloaded.

Thank you, I didn't realise it would edit the original one from the cloning

You little beauty, I love you xanathon. I now have a small faces poster in my teens room. There'll be no stopping me now. Thanks for making the tutorial so easy to follow
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#67 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 11:39 AM
@dashboard00: You have to install the DDS-Plugins for Photoshop, as mentioned in the first chapter of the tutorial.

@Motoki: You most probably forgot to fix the object in s3oc.

@aeval99: You find the texture by clicking the _IMG-resources and then opening them in ViewDDS. Do this until you find the correct texture.
The perspective view can for example be achieved with Photoshops transition->perspective.
I don't have S3PE installed on this computer, but the option to delete resources should be in menu->resources

I also asked for a context menu for operations like this on the s3pe-forum and was told "this is no priority".

I highly recommend to create a work folder for each and every object you are working on, this makes the process far easier and leaves less clutter to be puzzled by.

happy simming,
Xanathon

.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Eminence Grise
#68 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I was working saving to my desktop and not a folder, is that why?

Your desktop is a folder
Instructor
#69 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Motoki : 8th Aug 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by xanathon
@Motoki: You most probably forgot to fix the object in s3oc.

I tried that and it didn't work. Funny thing is if I run it on the unmodified object which does work, it then breaks it.

Either the creator didn't make it via this method or I am doing something wrong. Probably the latter. :P

Sheesh, this is a lot of trouble for making a VERY MINOR edit to an image and reinserting it. I'm not sure why that would break it like this. *sigh*

Edit: Okay I got it working now. I don't even know how. I just did the same thing all over again, just replaced the DDS in the pack. This time I did change the string table reference to start with 00 (US English) since the original creator had it at 1D. No idea what that corresponds to, but the wiki only lists up to 15 (Swedish).

Odd thing is, it worked for her set that way but then when I changed the image it didn't until I set the language to English. Or maybe it's voodoo, I don't know. In any case it's working and I'm not going to complain.
Test Subject
#70 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:36 PM
I installed everything the tutorial said I needed, including the DDS plugins, but when I try to import the file, it only has an option for importing pictures from scanners and cameras?

I made some cc for Sims 2, and was hoping to venture into cc for Sims 3, but it's proving to be too confusing for me. hehe
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#71 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 8:10 PM
Do have to use "open file" instead of "import". See - that easy...

happy simming,
Xanathon

Test Subject
#72 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 8:19 PM
When I tried to just open it instead of importing, it says it can't open it because it's "not the right kind of document", but I installed all the plugins and everything else the tutorial told me to.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#73 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 8:50 PM
Then you either have the wrong plugins or they are not installed correctly.

Any further advise has to come from someone else for some days, as I am on vacation.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Eminence Grise
#74 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 1:02 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 8th Aug 2009 at 1:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by dashboard00
I installed everything the tutorial said I needed, including the DDS plugins, but when I try to import the file, it only has an option for importing pictures from scanners and cameras?

Scanners and cameras? What application are you talking about here? And which step of the tutorial are you on?

Sounds like you're talking about getting the exported .dds into your image editor. I do it like this:

- Export the _IMG resource

- Open my image editor and open (NOT import) the resource I just exported -- easiest method if you have a bunch of image files in the folder is to sort by date and open the most recent one.

- Save it before you edit it, under a different name -- that way, if you're not pleased with your results, you have a fresh copy of the image to redo it with.

- Edit it and save it as .dds, making sure to flatten the image first (combine any layers you may have created while editng).

- Go back to SimPE and import it. Again, you can sort by date to make sure you're importing the one you just modified.

And yeah, if you can't open a .dds file, then the .dds plugin is not installed properly for the application you're using. Go back and reread the instructions for installation of the plugin whereever you downloaded it from.

BTW, a note about the cloning process in general, for those encountering problems. I find that there are two main areas where I am likely to make a mistake that causes problems. One is not waiting long enough for the cloner to finish its processes... don't continue to the next step until you've seen the "OK" popup come up! The other is leaving files open in S3PE... S3PE does not release the package it has open until it's closed, so you need to close the app or at least the package when you're working on the package in the cloner.
Test Subject
#75 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 4:45 AM
I was on the step with Photoshop. I exported the dds file and saved it to my work folder, then opened up Photoshop, and under Import the only option is "WIA support" and it opens a wizard that says "This wizard assists you with acquiring images from WIA compatible cameras and scanners." ??? I don't know, but then I tried opening the DDS instead of importing, but it said it wasn't the right kind of document. It doesn't help that I don't really know what I'm doing ha, but I downloaded everything it said I needed and redownloaded the plugins more than once. When I installed them, it kept telling me that it was already installed, but it still won't open the dds file, so I don't know. I may have to give up on cc creation for Sims 3. Sorry guys.
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 3 of 8