Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2010 at 6:46 PM
Default "Donating" items to pedestals- how does it work?
I notice some pedestals, the ones in the Museum in Champs Le Sims for example, say "Open to Donations" and you can put whatever you want on them.

But can other sims take these things away? Will the objects stay there without going anywhere? Can other sims autonomously add things? Anybody know? I'll try it out a bit myself, but I want to know for the sake of having an off-lot location to store my favorite finds while on adventures, a museum of my own making.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 12:26 AM Last edited by tangie0906 : 11th Jan 2010 at 1:36 AM. Reason: spelling error
I just clicked on my inventory tab and grabbed an item and placed it on the pedestal, just as you would do if displaying things at home. AFAIK no sims will autonomously take the items. I directed my sim to snatch a collectible in France off of a pedestal at the Landgraab house but that triggered a trap that he couldn't get past. Instead of putting the treasure back, I placed a large space rock from his inventory on the pedestal and that made the trap disappear again. I also had one of my sims "donate" an uncut amethyst to a pedestal in the museum in France. Both items were still in place when I visited there later.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 1:44 AM
Yeah, I let my game go a few days with some very precious gems on display and nobody took any. I could still take them back if I wanted, though- I imagine that's why, by default, the museum isn't draggable items.

So from the looks of it we can set up our own museums however we want with no fears of things going away...
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 2:59 AM
All I know is I was most impressed that I could leave a lobster on display on a pedestal in a museum!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#5 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I directed my sim to snatch a collectible in France off of a pedestal at the Landgraab house but that triggered a trap that he couldn't get past. Instead of putting the treasure back, I placed a large space rock from his inventory on the pedestal and that made the trap disappear again.
Pssh. Haven't you seen Indiana Jones? I "donated" a piece of valueless garbage. :P

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 10:02 AM
I used a book, which reappeared in the family inventory. Books are freakin' glued to Sims.
Theorist
#7 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 12:16 PM
I put a bad quality tomato there
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#8 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 12:23 PM
I used a horrible quality seed I found in a trashcan. A PARTIALLY-EATEN horrible-quality seed that I had previously been using as FISHBAIT.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 6:25 PM
Two goldfish, here. :p
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 1:06 AM
- From my experience the only collection you can not put in a chest in the museum is books
- I even made approx 45 tables of displayed books (7 per coffee table) and it looked very artful and beautiful
- I saved the museum lot and never got any message to the contrary but when I went back into the museum, ALL the books were gone ... just devastating, lol
- I tried to save the books as a collection on the floor, on displays, in chests, on bookshelves ... everything to no avail (seems that the only type of lot you can save books in shelves is a residential lot)
- I still would like to display the book collection in the museum. Maybe later there will be a way, lol

- Also, if you are using the testingcheatsenabled and the buydebug you can ctrl-shift-click on a pedestal (or chest, etc) and choose the option to "make unusable by NPCs" to assure all treasure/displays stay that way
Theorist
#11 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
I used a horrible quality seed I found in a trashcan. A PARTIALLY-EATEN horrible-quality seed that I had previously been using as FISHBAIT.

FYI on another visit his sim-son went back and took the space rock (I wanted to use it to see if I could set it on a floor switch - which didn't work, of course), and he left an uncut smoky quartz or some other unvaluable rock in its place. I like your solution much better, but he doesn't have much in his inventory yet so I had to make do!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 1:08 PM
And what about the near room?
I'm stucked in the galeria d'art.
I tried close up sarcofago, but I can't open it.
I went in the tomb and catacomb, but nothing to open sarcofagos in the egipt gallery...
I donate some vegetables on the pedestals and I can't bring it back...
In the tomb there are other pedestal but I can't put on anything because there is a closed door.
What do i doing now? My adventure doesn't go forward.
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 7:23 AM
When I try to donate to the pedestal in the Landgrabb house in France, my game starts acting weird.

I can't donate to it, it just clicks and disappears, and then the game suffers a terrible slow down.

Anyone else have this problem?
Theorist
#14 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 1:58 PM
Usually that happens to sims with excessive amount of things in their inventories.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by funkyj
When I try to donate to the pedestal in the Landgrabb house in France, my game starts acting weird.

I can't donate to it, it just clicks and disappears, and then the game suffers a terrible slow down.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not exactly, but hi funkyj... big up the AM!

Does the item actually disappear or did it return to the sims inventory? My sim had inventory issues and whenever she donated to a pedestal the item just returned to her inventory.

Due to other inventory issues I moved her out in edit town mode and then moved her back into the household and her inventory issue rectified themselves.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#16 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gnarles
I set up the museum several ways and cannot get donated items to stay. Once I changed active families and everything they donated to the museum disappeared. Another time I went into "edit town" mode to put pedastals and display cases in the empty room on the second floor and everything previously donated was missing.
I have a vague idea what causes this, and I suspect it has to do with object chowning and eviction during the use of edit town.