Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dispear
What would make you say that? People play sims for a variety of reasons. Whether someone wants realism or whimsy has nothing do with how "hard core" they are. Whatever that means.

What I meant by 'casual' were the folks who browse the game stores, see the package and buy it as compared to those who have played for a long time. Magical Sims will have broad based mass appeal compared to OFB or Generations type packs. This does not mean that long time players don't like Magic, but that EA will probably up their sales of new time users with this.

I should have chosen better words since I realize hard core and casual are also used as some nebulous classification of gamers. I do not agree with that use of the words at all.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 4:30 PM
While I am totally hyped about this EP, I agree that there are some realistic things I wish EA would add. Beyond weather, I'd love to see a return of illnesses (I'm hoping they could come with weather, since most people associate bad weather with illness), turn-ons and turn-offs, and a variety of other little things. I hope EA does add some general gameplay stuff to this EP, although I'm not sure how likely that is.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
It sux.

I mean, I HATE IT!!!!

Pretty well sums up how I feel about the concept. If I want to play with magic then I can choose from a wide assortment of fantasy themed MMOs. I have purchased all the Sims 3 expansions up through Pets (and I regret a few of those which I have decided do not belong in my game) and it looks as though I will not be purchasing any future Sims 3 expansions because EA is consistently not giving me what I want in my game.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 6:03 PM
ani_:
That is one of my fears too. Since this is in the beta stage, there is a chance of things not making the cut (remember the lean against the wall interaction in Late Night?). It is probably obvious by now that I am one of those werewolves/witches crowd, but even then, we don't really know much yet. I can't see EA scrapping this EP entirely though since they did put a lot of coding in it seems, but the fact that this has been released five days after Showtime hits the stores makes me think this was unintentional as well. They have usually waited a little while before they "accidentally" leaked something.

I see this a bit like the Pets expansion pack when it was leaked. EA keeps quiet about it, the leak makes a buzz on the official sims 3 forums, and then a few months later: TADA!

Amp_RNA:
I would love to have actual illnesses back too. I would also like to have one sided relationships. I am not sure if the last one will ever happen though.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 2:04 PM Last edited by tilarium : 13th Mar 2012 at 2:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gesimz
I don't necessarily have any complaints this stage (given that i'm reserving judgement until EA reveal it in official capacity) but what do you normally associate with supernatural/occult settings? Thunderstorms and gloomy weather. This EP presents the perfect opportunity for EA to incorporate weather/seasons into the magic/occult expansion pack (EP07). Whether they will do so or not remains to be seen, but I imagine it would please a fair few players if different weather conditions were introduced in this next EP to compliment the magic/occult/supernatural elements of it, of which they would fit perfectly.

If they put magic and seasons togather, that would be the worst move they could make. There are a lot of people that don't want magic, but almost everyone wants weather. To force those of us that want magic to have it if we want weather is evil. I want weather, I don't want magic. I don't want magic more then I want weather, so if they did merge them I'll go without the weather. There are already a few things I want in this speculated* EP that I won't be getting in my game because I don't want magic. When I do want magic, I just fire up Sims Medieval

*speculated because there is no offical announcement yet
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 4:03 PM
Either they put something good (non-magic) with Magic to balance sales or they keep everything good (non-magic) out of a Magic pack so those of us who do not buy it won't miss out.

I very much doubt they will do the first unless the stuff in that file are split between several EPs, which is always likely. We have oooed over leaks in files before only to find out they were store items. This time seems to be different, but who knows. There is enough stuff in those files for an EP...then add on a few must-have items that are not magic and you have a typical EA pack. They certainly won't do the second because they will lose sales.

Adding weather to all that? Seems unlikely unless they plan to add weather in a patch..again unlikely. Given the choice between a 95% magic pack and a magic pack with weather/home businesses/farms, I prefer the latter. I wouldn't mind the pack if it had something big for me.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 6:52 PM
I've got no complaints about this concept so far, even if it's not a weather/seasons pack, even if we're long overdue for weather. They're unlikely to include it in this EP, and whatever they say about trying to be new and different, that's the kind of feature they're going to want to spotlight... hmm, and in the way of Makin' Magic reminiscences, we already have autumn-colored trees.

Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
If I want to play with magic then I can choose from a wide assortment of fantasy themed MMOs.

Two very different things there. The point is to play with magic while also raising families and gardening and cooking and watching TV and decorating/building the house, something fantasy-themed games tend to be light on.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
...we already have autumn-colored trees.[/Q

Did you know one of the maple trees (the one from pets) in CAW is actually labeled as Fall (autumn)
A bit of a slap in the face...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#34 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Did you know one of the maple trees (the one from pets) in CAW is actually labeled as Fall (autumn)
A bit of a slap in the face...

That just outright makes me nervous that even if they add weather, they might decide to forgo seasons or something. Why put in a fake-autumn tree if they have plans to put in seasonal transitions?
Field Researcher
#35 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:16 PM
Thank you for making this thread! Glad I can voice my disapproval.
O.K. they are really going to have to impress me. If it doesn't include a full blown Magic Town type world, where I can ride rides, watch magic shows, meet weird Sims, and 'hear' the beloved TS1 Magic Town music I'm not going to like it.

Sure sparkly Sims (faires) are cute, but I don't want to live my Sim life as one.

I want creepy, dark lots with dead trees, spooky music when I play that lot, and lots of dead/floating skeletons in the closets.

I am very unhappy with how they say they are listening. O.K. people want magic (some) I would prefer OFB type EP or Seasons...and not Ambitions and just gardening.

What irks me is they say O.K. here is your magic...and it is a few creatures (with no special monster powers) and they are just Sims with a different skin color, and their motives never decay and they are boring!

If they want to make a werewolf...then not just a Sim, make a werewolf! One that turns on the fullmoon, one that goes through your town/world killing all the Sims caught out after dark. Post it in the Newspaper....Dela Sim was ravaged by a werewolf last night And your Sim afraid to go out on a fullmoon night, and refuses and if they do...BAM!...they are eaten.

Not this lalalala, happy fantasy, sparkly Sim watered down stuff.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:31 PM
The sad thing about Seasons for TS3 will probably be a world like a vacation spot in TS1. Where objects like the fog emitter makes it snow, and your Sim just gets a moodlet that they are cold. TS1 Sims also had to get warmed up. Recalling these things about TS1 because TS3 seems so more closely related to TS1 than it ever was to TS2.
And I have a feeling some of these little creatures in the EP7 will be able to zap your Sim with lightening and EA will grin widely and say...'here is your Seasons/weather and Magic EP.' And then announce TS4.
Alchemist
#37 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starryeyedSim

If they want to make a werewolf...then not just a Sim, make a werewolf! One that turns on the fullmoon, one that goes through your town/world killing all the Sims caught out after dark. Post it in the Newspaper....Dela Sim was ravaged by a werewolf last night And your Sim afraid to go out on a fullmoon night, and refuses and if they do...BAM!...they are eaten.

Not this lalalala, happy fantasy, sparkly Sim watered down stuff.

Ah, you mean The Sims 3: Ferocious . Yep, that's one I'd like to see, myself. "Dela was savaged as she was innocently making exploding candles". Yep.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:41 PM
Ya, these Sims that don't burn up in the sun, but sparkle (Twighlight) are Lame.
I have always found it silly to have to be a friend of a Sim before they bite my Sims.

At least incorparate the TS2 version...you have your vamp bite a Sim then all Counts go on the warpath, too, and bite a percentage of the town. Now, that's a good fantasy.

Or, if they are bent on making this EP...fairies aren't all nice in books and myth...and quite the little imps. I find it so lame to keep making creatures that do nothing to upset the apple cart of the entire town. (Other than the bad coding of Celebs/Vamps)

If they want to make a Magic EP (which they said they would neva do) at least make Magic Town! and no interactions with magic unless you accept the magic box.
Test Subject
#39 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:51 PM
This totally sux!!! I was hoping for OFB. Showtime isn't my cup of tea either...and now crappy magic.
Think I will have to revert to Sims 2.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:57 PM
Don't forget...looks like you will have to 'ask' the werewolf to bite you, just like the vampire. I find that so lame. No way is EA going to add murder and mayhem (except by satellite and magician boxes). I think this is the biggest reason I don't like this pack idea. No way will it really resemble whatever it is people think they want.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 9:00 PM
Ya, it does, and they are running out of time. I really don't believe there will be 10 EPS...so that is my reasoning while some fog emitter/weather createor thingy will be in this EP along with some weather related stuff. If it isn't then I will be shocked. Creepy, means thunder storm, dark clouds, and bewitching (like in TS2 witch arrival) and that is probably what we will get as weather.

They will never do OFB for TS3, they gave us Ambitions...what didn't they understand? That is why imho TS2 is still the better game as far a replay over and over and wanting to replay it. Many on TS3 admit they don't even really play TS3 anymore...they try a new EP then quit for weeks or months but just hang out on the threads.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#42 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 9:06 PM
Lol Pets and Showtime I opened long enough to just look at the town - never played either of them at all. Generations lasted slightly longer at about a week.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 2 of 2