Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 4:23 AM
Default "Dislikes Children?" More like "Dislikes EVERYONE!"
Have you ever noticed that sims that dislike children seem to dislike almost all interactions you make with them? I am now to the point that if I see "dislikes children" signs, I am tempted to shun them for good. They seem harder to befriend than grumpy, evil, insane hot-headed, or mean spirited, or no sense of humor sims. They are just nasty nasty sims. I don't understand why they are some of the hardest to deal with.

Here is the last conversation one of my sims had with a tourist today:

"Hi! How's it going? What's your job?"

"I HATE KIDS!!!"

"Umm OK .. I apologize for that...ummmm want to hear a funny story?"

"I HATE KIDS!!"

"Yeah.. I'm an adult sim here. I just wanted to know if you were married or single..."

"I HATE KIDS!!"

There ended up being maybe two interactions that I could do successfully. And then the NPC got tired of me doing those two interactions over and over again.

"SHUT UP! Your chatting endlessly just reminded me of something. I HATE KIDS!!"

I've never wanted to punch a sim before.. but I'm getting close.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 4:47 AM
Y'know after reading your post, I just remembered something very important: I HATE KIDS!!

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 9:18 AM
And I have no idea what you're talking about. When I played the Crosbys in Riverview occasionally - he dislikes children, she is family-oriented and has the infamous Surrounded By Family LTW - he was the one who took care of their eventual 6 kids, changed diapers autonomously and taught most of them to talk and walk. He ended up being best friends with all of them while his wife was good friends with them at most. Hardly have I seen a more caring father when I did not actively play him.
Of course his mood was quite low because of the moddlet, but I guess this is the very reason that he was the family man in that household, because low mood seems to have encouraged him to interact with his children in order to get the social and fun meter up.
The only annoying thing is that Sims with that trait tend to shoo children away and this will drop any queue you may have assigned to the kids. And I hate queue-dropping more than I hate kids.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 1:18 PM
Kewpie, I've had "dislikes kids" sims who function normally in most environments. I think one problem with NPCs is that they don't always have the five traits assigned, often it's only three, so an annoying trait will be more prominent. I think some places/things, e.g., being near schools or toys, will set off the "dislikes children" sims. And I've noticed that one of my childish sims really annoys a "dislikes children" sim. Strangely, actual children do not bother that sim unless they (the kids) are running around.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 1:27 PM
I had a sim I was trying to shack up with Ryan Atkins in Bridgeport who not only Dislikes Children but is also Mean Spirited. He was a bundle of laughs! Couldn't even get the option of romantic interactions with him even after I moved him in until I shift clicked him to change his traits temporarily. So I got her to have his baby just to annoy him and kicked him out! :D
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 3:07 PM
I was once running a house with about 14 sims in it. The assigned patriarch of the house disliked children. There were quite a few children in the house, including a daughter of his, and he still would autonomously put toddlers in their crib and socialize with children. He felt pretty cruddy afterwards, though.

His daughter got the trait as well, and she was actually very nice to everyone. I don't see the problem with the trait.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 4:27 PM
Maybe there is a tuning problem in my game then. My dislikes kids sims will have negative interactions with adults on things that aren't very childish interactions. They will get minus signs and be bored with almost everything my sims do.
#8 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 5:38 PM
Your little story, is this what actually happened? You used "Ask About Day", and then told a joke and got the Dislike Children speech bubble in both cases? Then it might just be that their mood was too low because of that moodlet. Asking about their day will actually trigger the game to display one of the moodlets these Sims currently have and the mood hit by that moodlet is actually quite big, so if there are no other moodlets to compensate this, hardly any conversation topic will be successful.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 7:39 PM
That's exactly what happened babele. They would pop up the "dislikes children" trait in their speech bubble and they minused my sim and got them to the "awkward" phase fairly quickly. Now it makes more sense.
#10 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 8:33 PM
Well, child haters have a hard life in a world where everything is about shopping and f... , er, procreating. So you have to be extra nice to those poor souls. Meet them at the park, grant them the Beautiful Park moodlet, take them for dinner at the Bistro and hope for the "Amazing Meal" moodlet and receive a substantial rise in Fun and Social, give them some flowers to show that you care and grant them the "Received Flowers" moodlet, squeeze in some compliment (Flattered moodlet), exchange gossip (another moodlet) and in no time they'll be willing to try for baby in the hottub with your Sim (skinny dipping, of course, because 2 big moodlets).
Gosh, Sims are so predictable! No wonder it was so easy to reach the Casanova reputation (7 active lovers) and then the Don Juan (15 active or non-active romantic relationships). And after that? Well, woohooing with a Don Juan gives every victim an amazing "Incredible Time!" moodlet, which is like a constant ecstasy for half a day.