Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#76 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 3:52 PM
Yeah it's a bit slow, especially if you're searching in a large package file like gameplaydata.package, but it's there
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 5:31 PM
well you can try searching for the title of the file but you won't be able to search for specific phrases
Theorist
#78 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 5:57 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, because you can search for words/phrases inside the xml files just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#79 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 6:30 AM
Thanks for this tutorial, it made it very easy for me to create my own mods. And so far they've been working.
Test Subject
#80 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 9:51 AM Last edited by Ellahn : 4th Nov 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: HP's Awesomeness
Well, I have a somewhat RIDICULOUS question.

I decided to mod skinnydipping. First time modding, but I know programmin for 8 years now and have my fair share of messing with XML so I thought "Piece of cake, I just have to study a bit and learn how things work here!". So there I went to S3PE and looked for Skinny Dipping. LOVELY Tutorial by the way, found lots of things to edit on my way to Skinny dipping, I`m gonna make a bunch of happy Mods in t he near future (And some Wiki edits, found explanations to a few things people have trouble with)... BUT...

Skinny Dip use 5 Resources. One for the clothing, one for the raction... Then it gets Ugly. There's a plain "Skinnydipping" resource, it has lots of DreamVisible, Fullfillment and Traits checks. Everything else is Blank. From what I read about this, i suppose it gets the blank options from the other XMLs.

So there we go again! There are 2 more Resources, one is "SkinnyDip_HotTub" and the other is "SkinnyDipFromHotTub_HotTubBase". Both have about the same things in them. Both point the Plumbing Hot Tub object as their target.

My two questions are probably easy for you guys, but they're dooming me:
1 - Do I have to edit BOTH resources, or just one? If just one, how do I know which one? This is haunting me it's copypasta but I don't wanna put a lot of unneeded crap in my Mod, and it feels stupid to have 2 files do the same thing!

<Edit ID="1" about="Question 2"> There is actually a "SwimHereSkinnyDip" Resource, and it has about the same options as the Hot Tube's Resources, now i just have to figure out if this is one is for everything on a pool etc. or just an interaction, but I'm guessing I'll have to edit this one anyways, and I think in a pool everything is "SwimHere" so Question 2 is about finished, unless someone has something to add. Leavin question 2 here just in case, and to remember me how dumb it was. =b </Edit>

2 - If I edit these Resources will I get the effect while Skinny Dipping in the Pool?

Sorry for not figuing this one out, I just feel dumb looking at it. Let's hope it's just beginner's n00bness.

<Edit ID="2" about="HP's awesomeness">Extracting everything and using the Notepad++ Search RULES. Now I just need to know if I have to change everything twice, just found the perfect way to find and tune whatever I want!</Edit>

Also, I'd like to suggest you add the "Run as Adinistrator" thing to the tutorial, for Vista and Win7 Users. I noticed a lot of people asking about that... I'd edit the Tutorial myself, but I can't, so I leave the suggestion... =b
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#81 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ellahn
First time modding, but I know programmin for 8 years now{...}
I'd suggest extracting the core libraries, getting .NET Reflector and using it to look at the actual game code then. Regular tuning modding basically consists of guessing and trial&error. If you look at the code, you don't need to guess.

Quote:
So there we go again! There are 2 more Resources, one is "SkinnyDip_HotTub" and the other is "SkinnyDipFromHotTub_HotTubBase". Both have about the same things in them. Both point the Plumbing Hot Tub object as their target.
Skinny dipping consists of multiple interactions and there seem to be two unrelated interactions. What you need to alter, really depends on what you want to change.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Interstellar Traveler
#82 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 3:11 AM
for some reason, after numerous tries.. My mods NEVER work! Idk what's wrong!
I have the resource.cfg and i have the framework! But i just dont get it, they refuse to work!

recently, I've been working on an increase on all moodlet values mod, but when i put it into the game (after saving the .package from sims3pe) they never choose to modify what I tell them to. EXAMPLE: I set the moodlet value to +40, but in the game..it's stay original (+20 instead of +40)

HELP ANYONE?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#83 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 4:06 PM
Scholar
#84 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 9:26 PM
Wanted to see if I could tweak the number of Papparazzi in my game. Took a look in Game play Data with S3PE and was hoping to just have to tweak a xml file. Didn't find anything for Paparazzi. Any ideas where else I could look to find the Paparazzi info?

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
#85 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
Any ideas where else I could look to find the Paparazzi info?
Take a look at the NpcRoles XML.

Interstellar Traveler
#86 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Simul8rReviews - you need to make sure your framework works for mods correctly before you can create your own mods.

Please see the information here for help http://www.modthesims.info/announce...ouncementid=146

hmm, I dont really know what you mean.. Im a little confused. I read the link you gave me, and i have everything in the right place..
Scholar
#87 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Take a look at the NpcRoles XML.

Really? Well thank you Buzzler.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 1:22 AM
I want to speed up the time to learn skills but I don't know what values to change in the Skills XML - I understand how to get to it and how to edit and import/export and all that, but could someone tell me what values to actually edit? I have tried the first row of values in the XML and it gave them maximum skills, but did not acknowledge it: they didn't have any skills officially :/
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 1:42 PM
brilliant tutorial already modded my sims pregnancybut i cant find the "autonomous homework" in the homework.xml file, is it somewhere else? it really annoys me that the kids/teens are always doing homework! Also is there a way to cancel this automatic reaction?
Thanks guys!
#90 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pritzooo
i cant find the "autonomous homework" in the homework.xml file, is it somewhere else?
The autonomous stuff and everything belonging to a certain interaction, will never be in an _XML resource but in an ITUN resource. I think for the homework interactions thats GetHomework and DoHomework.

Test Subject
#91 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 4:43 PM
Default Stuck in Hex for S3Pe.Which set of files, when you have expansions?
Hi there, hopefully I'm in the right thread and these answers are just so obvious that I'm the only one unable to find them (as opposed to yet another reason to boot windows 7)

Okay I downloaded S3PE and its working (had the security error but fixed that by copying the file to the desktop). I've searched the net and read lots of tutorials and I think I have a shot at managing some modding..IF I could see anything in English rather then what appears to be Hex. I can not read anything in Hex. And no one else appears to be looking at Hex in S3PE so why am I?

Also if one has WA and Ambitions the same files appear to be in the base game folder and each of the expansions...which set should I be trying to edit. And do the original tutorials still apply?

Last I checked Helper monkey was unavailable (being edited for patch?) So I'm working without it..but at this stage I want to explore files (in english rather then hex) more then I actually am ready to change them. The game I previously modded went to english text using any rar program so this is a new problem for me. So what incredily silly thing am I doing wrong?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 4:51 PM
vampiremouse - When you look at the XML file, you shouldn't be seeing hex unless you actually click the "Hex" button. If you click Value, you'll see the plain text for the XML, and you should be able to hit the little "External: Notepad" button to edit directly in Notepad. Just don't save over your changes to the actual GameplayData.package, only after exporting to a new package.

There are various GameplayData.package files - pretty sure the base game one gets updated with everything, but otherwise, EP specific stuff can be found in the one for specific EPs.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#93 Old 8th Dec 2010 at 5:31 PM Last edited by vampiremouse : 9th Dec 2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing I litterally did (it was on VALUE already) I clicked it into HEX and back to VALUE and its WORKING!!!!!!!!!

Okay modding here I come

Be back when I have intelligent questions to ask or else a MOD to test
Test Subject
#94 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 8:17 PM
I open the file in the XML modding tutorial, and I get this

(Image attached)
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GBD99
I open the file in the XML modding tutorial, and I get this

(Image attached)

If you didn't already figure this out, you should put that file somewhere like on your desktop or in your documents (copy+paste it, don't actually move it) and then open it. Trying to open it in my computer usually throws that error at you.
Test Subject
#96 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 11:35 PM
I'm trying to make a mod that allows underage vampires to use their powers--bite, read minds, use vampire run, etc. I was thinking even a "vampire crawl" for toddlers, because I've always thought that raising a vampire toddler should be just a little more difficult. Sorry if this question is a little too vague, but how do I... you know... do that?
#97 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 2:31 PM
@misseureka: In the gameplaydata.package look for ITUN resources belonging to the interactions you want to alter. The names are pretty much the same as the interaction names. Where the age-specific restrictions are defined in the ITUN, should be pretty obvious then.

"Vampire crawl" would require a custom walkstyle and a scripting mod to apply this walkstyle to toddlers.

Test Subject
#98 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 1:11 AM
Excellent! Thank you so much!

And can I just say, YOUR AVATAR IS PINTSIZE OHEMGEE I LOOOOVEEEEE HIIIIIMMMMM
Test Subject
#99 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 11:47 AM
I've downloaded S3PE. It's a .exe file. I feel really stupid saying this, but I'm not... really sure where to go from here. I instinctively double-clicked it and it told me it had been compressed into a .zip file using Keka. Yay? I've also downloaded MONO, but I'm having trouble opening anything with it.
#100 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 12:31 PM
misseureka: Are you on Mac?

Page 4 of 8