Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Is Claeric
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 4:29 AM
Default Pets Tips (Things You Discover About Pets)
I think a good idea is a thread for people to post tips because we are all new to the game and nobody knows how to do everything.

My tip is:

Cats can hunt for bugs and stuff, but dogs can also hunt and for treasure. They dig holes and find stuff, they can find gems and metals and junk, and also pieces of things. My dog found pieces of a small dinosaur bones and stone fire hydrant like the things you find in vacation worlds. This way dogs make money for your sim!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 9:52 AM
horses can eat garden plants. dont ever try to grow something around a horse that you want to actually cultivate/keep. D:

they can also eat seeds...and newspapers.
horses can also drink out of ponds.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Inventor
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
horses can eat garden plants. dont ever try to grow something around a horse that you want to actually cultivate/keep. D:

they can also eat seeds...and newspapers.

The first thing I did was to put up a fence around my veggie garden when I got a horse, good to know my common sense was sensible

They can also dig around with their hooves and dig up random garden produce like onions, garlic or potatoes.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 10:07 AM
Gates and doors can be locked for pets, which helps in keeping the horse out of the garden (or your indoor cat indoors, and so on).
Is Claeric
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 3:21 PM
If you have a girl horse and want a baby horse you don't have to get a boy horse. If you ride the girl horse to the horse center you can make her get pregnant and even pick the boy horse she gets a baby from. It costs different for the traits the horses have.

How come horses do prostitution, but sims don't??

If you have a boy you can also send them there to be "stallions" (I think they meant to say studs??) and I think they make money from it, but I didnt try it.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 10:10 PM
Ooooh, the easy ways to make fillies So is this thread a bit like the 'What did you find out in Sims 3 today' sort of thing?

My Simblr: Here
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 11:37 PM
Racing for money is extremely lucrative. Even if you only do once race a day, it doesn't take long at all to where you're getting over 1k per race in prize money. I'd say it easily outstrips painting or writing as a "get rich quick" sim career, since riding skill seems to level a lot faster than either of those.
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 12:31 AM
Better yet, do your daily race and THEN go home and paint. That's what my rancher does and he makes a boatload.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 1:36 AM
I discovered that the unicorn in Appalosa Plains in my game is named "Charlie Horse"! ROLF!

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 3:31 AM
When the unicorn drinks it creates a rainbow over their head.

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 6:14 AM
The ghost horse doesn't leave the lot ever, I've looked everywhere for a tombstone/urn and I can't find it. My other horses like her though, they play together often enough.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 6:56 AM
When your cat has caught an animal either drag the minor pet into a cage or transfer it to the owner's inventory. The cat will drop it on the ground for any pet to eat if you don't.

Also, don't try to keep minor pets in your Sim's inventory for an indefinite time period - either sell them or cage them. The pet will escape from your Sim's inventory otherwise and you might not be able to recapture them.

This last one probably comes under the 'duh' category, but chipmunks, hedgehogs and similar minor pets (the ones that aren't turtle, snake, lizard or bird) go into the rodent terrarium - I lost a hedgehog back to the wild before I figured that one out.
Inventor
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 4:54 PM Last edited by wickedblue : 23rd Oct 2011 at 5:39 PM.
I actually have a question. I hope it is okay to put it here? How do you bathe a horse? My sim's horse has a grungy moodlet but his hooves are clean. If I have my sim select the horse and go to care "clean hooves" is greyed out. There is not enough lifetime points for the hygienator thingy and I do not know what other option there is.

I'll throw in a tip as well: cats will fish and those fish can be sold or the cat can eat them. My cat has the hunter trait but I don't yet know if that is required or if it just helps.

Edit: My sim brushed the horse and the moodlet went away so that's apparently the answer to my question about cleaning a horse.

kittens!
Is Claeric
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 4:58 PM
There are spawners in buydebug for the small animals like hedgehogs and snakes and turtles and you can put them on your own lot so you have snakes in the garden or turtles around your pond or birds under the trees
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 7:31 PM
If you buy a hay bale from buy mode (the square one or the pile of hay, the round one doesn't seem to work) you can scatter the hay out for horses to eat. This gives a positive moodlet that eating hay in a box stall does not give.

Random question: Does anyone know how to lock horses into their box stall until a sim lets them out? My horses have a tendency to go outside and pee instead of doing it in the stall and creating fertilizer.
dodgy builder
#16 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 7:37 PM
I was slightly annoyed when I wanted to keep my horses in, but my dogs could run around as it wanted. Can't select only horses not allowed through this gate.

Quote: Originally posted by Velve
Random question: Does anyone know how to lock horses into their box stall until a sim lets them out? My horses have a tendency to go outside and pee instead of doing it in the stall and creating fertilizer.

My horses just walked around as they wanted, then the sim suddenly led the horse into it's stable, but they went out themselves. Too much free will perhaps? Have you tried locking the door?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia

Cats can drink out of the ponds too. They also seem to be able to eat whatever they catch.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
My horses just walked around as they wanted, then the sim suddenly led the horse into it's stable, but they went out themselves. Too much free will perhaps? Have you tried locking the door?

You can't lock stall doors as far as I can tell. The only option is to "Put Horse In" or "Let Horse Out". The horse can open and close the stall doors at will, so putting them in via the sim seems pointless.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:17 PM
You could build a small fence with a lockable gate in front of the stall door I suppose. Or maybe block it with one of those pushable statues.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:20 PM
Funny that their hunger bar goes green when they drink... ea..

It is easy make a fortune with magic gnomes. Also, dogs can find pretty easily valuable gems, like rainbow gem or tiberium. So maybe it is easier to find pink diamond this way?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
You could build a small fence with a lockable gate in front of the stall door I suppose. Or maybe block it with one of those pushable statues.

You can't put anything within 4 or so spaces of the stall door to prevent you from doing exactly that.

Edit: I just saw a ghost horse float by. It had the vampire-died-of-thirst shade. It's name was something like... something 2.0 something. I tried to run to it and interact with it, but it disappeared before I managed to get off my horse...
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:44 PM
You can't put anything within 4 or so spaces of the stall door to prevent you from doing exactly that.

You could fashion that extra space into a sort of barn or enclosure for them to run around in if it keeps the horses locked up. Also you could try and see if it works with moveobjects on cheat.
Eminence Grise
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gelis
Also, dogs can find pretty easily valuable gems, like rainbow gem or tiberium. So maybe it is easier to find pink diamond this way?

Yeah, in my last family before Pets, I had five kids and my goal was to make their Imaginary Friends real. I had the whole family looking for rainbow gems in Twinbrook. They used the collection helper, the digger, and checked the consignment store every day. They never found a single one, and I had to max somebody in logic to make the potion... didn't happen till several of them were adults.

With Pets, the first gem my dog brings home is... a rainbow gem ><
Scholar
#24 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:53 PM

Edit: I just saw a ghost horse float by. It had the vampire-died-of-thirst shade. It's name was something like... something 2.0 something. I tried to run to it and interact with it, but it disappeared before I managed to get off my horse...

Glint 2.0. Yeah, he's around. I don't think he died of vampire thirst, I think he died of thirst. His owners are supposed to not know wtf they're doing with horses.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
You could fashion that extra space into a sort of barn or enclosure for them to run around in if it keeps the horses locked up. Also you could try and see if it works with moveobjects on cheat.

Building a barn around the stall seems to keep them inside so long as there is nothing interesting to the horse inside the barn other than the box stall.
Page 1 of 5