Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:21 PM
Default How does one acquire a unicorn?
I'm just curious, I'm kind of clueless on how to acquire one, and that sucks because.. Well, I've made sims with the "Get a Unicorn" LTW....

I love turtles.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:24 PM
Find one and befriend it as you would any wild horse. Having befriended wild horses already (10, I think?) gives you a special perk that makes it easier to befriend more, and being a Horse Friend or whatever it's called (the trait) probably helps too. Or just give 'em an apple. Bitche... err, unicorns love apples.

You can find unicorns wandering around like wild horses. They're easier to find at night because of a super pretty rainbowy aurora cloud type thingie they generate. You may have to wait a while for one to be generated.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:33 PM
Oh. I haven't found any wild horses yet, just deer and raccoons.. But I will be keeping a look out... >.>

I love turtles.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:37 PM
When I played in Appaloosa plains the unicorn always showed up in Water Treatment lot. When I changed to another world the unicorn showed up always in the same fishing spot there too.

When I meet a unicorns I put my sim to do "let snif hand" command and then I give them an apple. After that unicorns blessed my sim and my sim and the uicorns became friends. Then I just ask the horsie to join the household. It only took couple of sim hours to adopt a unicorn. But trying to adopt regular wild horse is far more difficult. Any one else having the same experience or is my game bugging?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:38 PM
There's usually a buttload of 'em up by the cemetary, and the, umm... I don't even know what it is - a couple of ponds with a walkway thingie, in the hills in Appaloosa.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:41 PM
Thanks, HP and gelis.

I'm gonna try to figure out how to get one now...

I love turtles.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:42 PM
Lily, just remembered, unicorns show up somewhere 11 pm and leave 4 or 5 am. They don't show up every night.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:43 PM
Okay, thank you.

Now to load my town and make a new sim... :D

I love turtles.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:55 PM
In my CAW world, all the unicorns and wild horses show up at my garden center/park. They show up to strip the place clean of all the wild produce. :D
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 7:34 PM
I have read that before you can move in a unicorn, you have to have at least three pets and be best friends with all of them.

Don't know if it's true, can anybody confirm/disconfirm?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I have read that before you can move in a unicorn, you have to have at least three pets and be best friends with all of them.

I cannot confirm or deny this. My sim had four pets already...a dog, a cat, and two horses...before getting her first unicorn. Also, my sim befriended a wild horse as well.
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 8:48 PM
I took one home with no pets at all. Also I've had a few show up at my house lol. try leaving some carrots out I didn't even get a chance to plant them before the silly thing ate them all :P
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 1:16 AM Last edited by Redbottom : 25th Oct 2011 at 6:57 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi

well that depends. the first time i tried to adopt one, it told me that he wanted me to prove to him that i was really a friend of all forms of life (or something like that at least. dont remember the exact words)
anyway - i took it to mean that i was supposed to have a friend each of every kind of creature. dog, cat , horse - i even threw in a regular sim just in case. i found the unicorn again, and this time it worked . and my only pet at that time was a horse.

hope that made sense, trying to explain it in english isnt all that easy for me. that and the fact that it is over 2 in the morning here

EDIT: seams i might have been wrong in my previous statement. i did in fact have 2 birds in addition to the horse i mentioned before. but i didnt think they counted. but as someone else pointed out, they do. so i guess you have to have three pets after all
Field Researcher
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 1:32 AM
If a unicorn doesn't find someone trustworthy, can't they just set them on fire ?

My Simblr: Here
Scholar
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gelis
When I played in Appaloosa plains the unicorn always showed up in Water Treatment lot. When I changed to another world the unicorn showed up always in the same fishing spot there too.

When I meet a unicorns I put my sim to do "let snif hand" command and then I give them an apple. After that unicorns blessed my sim and my sim and the uicorns became friends. Then I just ask the horsie to join the household. It only took couple of sim hours to adopt a unicorn. But trying to adopt regular wild horse is far more difficult. Any one else having the same experience or is my game bugging?

I've found if you can follow the wild horses back to where they sleep and let the one you want fall asleep, you can pretty much just spam the "Watch Wild Horse" command until they wake up in the morning. By the time they do, they'll usually accept pets and neckrubs and such. Managed to get a wild horse in one night plus a couple hours in the morning that way.

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi

I've had it happened. I don't know if it's befriending them or owning them that did it though. And it has to be one of each animal, not just eg three horses.
Alchemist
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 5:47 AM
psst...c'mere, kid. how'd ya like to buy a unicorn? *opens trench coat flap*

(find it, make nice with it, ask it to join your household.)
also, being friends with any 3 pets of your household or otherwise qualifies the unicorn to make a visit. doesnt have to be 1 of each. this screenie was taken from a household that had 4 horses and 1 cat.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 8:15 AM
It's really that easy? My experiences go to say that I must show the unicorn that I am a friend of all creatures... How the heck do I do that? All the wild horses tend to... despise me.
Alchemist
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FarmerPhil
It's really that easy? My experiences go to say that I must show the unicorn that I am a friend of all creatures... How the heck do I do that? All the wild horses tend to... despise me.

yes, its really that easy. you dont need to befriend wild horses, or any wild animals at all. long as you have a few pets in your household, any type (except im pretty sure birds and collectibles dont count), that youre on good terms with... it works.
and im not talking about in theory. the screen shot above was taken of a unicorn that a sim who had only horses and a cat in her household (and was not friends with any strays) met and befriended. (in that picture, its bestowing a "blessing" on her...)
after she was on good terms with the unicorn, she could invite it to join her household.

and for the record, the LTW description doesnt count as an "experience".

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 8:59 PM
Can someone show me what the rainbow aura from map view looks like?
I still can't find a unicorn

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Field Researcher
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 9:35 PM
There you go:

Sorry, the pic is taken in my ugly test neighborhood and the rainbow aura blends quite well with waterfall steam.
Alchemist
#21 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 10:16 PM
I haven't found one yet and it's driving me bananas. Isn't there any cheat, or something, to find it more easily?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 1:29 AM
My sim Shaquan has animal lover trait.
She has a cat and a horse. She isn't friends with either yet.
This is her 2nd sim day.

At 7pm I went to map view and saw the unicorn aura over the treatment plant, the unicorn was there with a bunch of other wild horses. I just followed the rainbow aura straight to the unicorn. Where ever he goes the rainbow speckles follow him.

First Shaquan watched him, after a bit this rainbow went from him to her. then he sniffed her, took a treat, and let her rub his neck. For some reason when she tried to pet him he wouldn't let herand they both got a negative moodlet. Maybe the relationship is too new.

He has been at the water treatment place 3 nights so far with the wild horses. He seems particularly friendly to one of them always nuzzling.

When I put my cursor over him, his name tag said Charlie Horse! That made me chuckle! Does any one else have funny name tags on their unicorns or did EA give them all that name?

Hope this helps!
Screenshots

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 5:54 AM
Don't give up people, I played for ten hours yesterday and didn't find a unicorn but today I found two within three sim days. One was at the waterworks and the other was at cinnamon lake.

Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
long as you have a few pets in your household, any type (except im pretty sure birds and collectibles dont count), that youre on good terms with... it works.

Birds do count, my second unicorn wouldn't move in until I was a friend to all animals, eventually I realised my sim had one bird with a relationship slightly in the red and as soon as the relationship was in the positive the unicorn moved in.

Quote: Originally posted by clearblueskies
Does any one else have funny name tags on their unicorns or did EA give them all that name?

My first unicorn was a black male named Dragon Horse and my second was a white female named Belle horse.
Eminence Grise
#24 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 6:26 AM
I think the "Horse" surname is what all wild horses have, just like cats from the shelter all have "cat".
Alchemist
#25 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
Birds do count, my second unicorn wouldn't move in until I was a friend to all animals, eventually I realised my sim had one bird with a relationship slightly in the red and as soon as the relationship was in the positive the unicorn moved in.

alright, good to know. i havent played with the birds yet, but that does make sense.

also, the unicorn my post above was named Dancer Horse.

Page 1 of 3