Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 4:30 AM
Default Have you seen a pitbull before, EA?
Here's the SMALL BREED dog EA refers to as a pit bull.

Here's a pit bull.

Am I missing something here?
Advertisement
Is Claeric
#2 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 4:43 AM
Dogs and Cats have as much face differences (I cannot know the word I mean?) as humans, I have seen lots of pit bulls that look like that, except the top of the head and nose isn't as flat. They are not all saggy-faces...

are you sure it doesnt say Pit Bull Terrier??

Retired
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 4:53 AM
Whereas if you bred a hare with a dog, I'm pretty sure it would look like EA's "pitbull".

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
#4 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 4:57 AM
They were thinking of a bull terrier, I think. Definitely not the same breed.

eta:

One is Frankenweenie, the other is not. :3
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:03 AM
I don't even mean the face or anything. I mean the fact that they made a dog I've repeatedly seen hit the ninety pound range into an ankle-height little rat.

And no, there's a separate bull terrier. Same basic look and size but clearly a bull terrier.
Instructor
#6 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:08 AM
I know there's a seperate one, too! It's weird, cause they are both clearly bull terriers. Pitbulls don't have the 'roman nose' like a bull terrier, they have more a slope from their foreheads to their muzzles. And yeah, it's weird seeing them in small breed regardless. Pitbulls are DEFINITELY not small dogs, even if they are sometimes stout.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:12 AM
I haven't looked closely but they have an American Staffordshire Terrier (I remember briefly hovering over the name) in the large dog section. I know it's not the same as the American Pit Bull Terrier but do they look more similar?

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
I haven't looked closely but they have an American Staffordshire Terrier (I remember briefly hovering over the name) in the large dog section. I know it's not the same as the American Pit Bull Terrier but do they look more similar?

Far more. Granted, you can have scrawny pit bulls. But I'm sorry, EA, they don't make chihuahua-sized pit bulls. They just don't.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:24 AM
The average size for an APBT is 35-55 pounds. Usually the larger ones are rare or cross-bred with a larger breed. Maybe EA would classify that as the smaller breeds (I really need to get into the create-a-pet section). However, that first shot is CERTAINLY not a pit bull of any standard.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
One Minute Ninja'd
#10 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:58 AM
Errr....nothing against pit bulls, but why is the mouth of that pit bull in the first post (sitting next to the little girl) so red? Is that lipstick, or really blood from someone it just bit?

Clearly EA was not exactly following AKC breed standards for managing the appearance of the breeds. As a past owner of one, their American Eskimo looks like...well...not really close to the real breed. It took about an hour of working with the new pet sliders to get something that resembled my dog. Also, why do they have an Eskimo as a premade breed, but not Labrador Retrievers. They're far more common than Eskimos, and, given the basic large stock dog body used by the game, a lot easier to make. Long haired dogs seem to lose their hair when zoomed out, making them look pretty ridiculous.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 7:13 AM
Of course EA has never seen a real Pit bull, you'd never see a Pit bull if you were having to work behind a desk 24/7 to dish out these Expansion packs every 6-8 months..

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Errr....nothing against pit bulls, but why is the mouth of that pit bull in the first post (sitting next to the little girl) so red? Is that lipstick, or really blood from someone it just bit?

It has pink skin and it just looks weird in that light.

Quote:
Also, why do they have an Eskimo as a premade breed, but not Labrador Retrievers. They're far more common than Eskimos, and, given the basic large stock dog body used by the game, a lot easier to make.

Whoa, they don't have labs? I just assumed they did. Heck, you could make that the basic Create A Dog bodytype, it's sort of what you assume a dog looks like. That's just weird.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
Whoa, they don't have labs? I just assumed they did. Heck, you could make that the basic Create A Dog bodytype, it's sort of what you assume a dog looks like. That's just weird.

I too think this is crazy! Labs are one of the most common dog breeds I believe. However, they do have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever which is similar to the lab but with a different type of coat. They have curly hair (and are adorable)! I also heard that they made 'designer mutts' like labradoodles...really EA? Really?

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 3:57 PM
They've never seen a cavalier king charles spaniel before either.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
I too think this is crazy! Labs are one of the most common dog breeds I believe. However, they do have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever which is similar to the lab but with a different type of coat. They have curly hair (and are adorable)! I also heard that they made 'designer mutts' like labradoodles...really EA? Really?

Oh yeah. They've made designer mutts I haven't even heard of, and I worked around dogs for years. But a lab? Noooo.

But tbh I wouldn't even care...if I could change the coat without the dogs being listed as mixbreed. Because if you could, then you could just fix it yourself (give the Chessie short hair for instance and call it a lab). But no, then they'll be classed as a mutt. And the bichon/cocker spanial mix is a purebred. I see.
Is Claeric
#16 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
Because if you could, then you could just fix it yourself (give the Chessie short hair for instance and call it a lab). But no, then they'll be classed as a mutt.

You CAN do that. you have to save it as a new breed for the game to know what breed it is.

It doesn't know what you to be called unless you tell it what to call the dog..
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scarity
You CAN do that. you have to save it as a new breed for the game to know what breed it is.

It doesn't know what you to be called unless you tell it what to call the dog..

Where are you seeing to save a new breed? There's options to save it as a new COLOR. But that doesn't affect the breed.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:12 PM
I also haven't seen an option to save as a new breed.. I'd surly like to know where it's hiding though!

RylandHomes - Dorian Lard
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:15 PM
Yeah, EA haven't seen a lot of dogs I think. Maybe they once caught a pit bull out of the corner of their eye as they walked down the street?

The pittie in the first picture is gorgeous, is he/she yours?

*Sigh* I wish I could own one of these guys, probably one of my favorite breeds, but sadly my country has banned them. But when I find a better one for the game I can give one to my sims :D

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Mad Poster
#20 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RylandHomes
I also haven't seen an option to save as a new breed.. I'd surly like to know where it's hiding though!

Hopefully EA will introduce that feature in a future patch.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by insane_in_charlie_shirt
Yeah, EA haven't seen a lot of dogs I think. Maybe they once caught a pit bull out of the corner of their eye as they walked down the street?

The pittie in the first picture is gorgeous, is he/she yours?

*Sigh* I wish I could own one of these guys, probably one of my favorite breeds, but sadly my country has banned them. But when I find a better one for the game I can give one to my sims :D

Nahh, google. I used to work for an animal shelter doing training, though, so I'm definitely familiar with them.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:29 PM
And actually, according to the AKC, the Pit Bull is actually a mix breed that has been bred with dogs of similar pedigrees (breeding the Staffordshire Bull Terrier with the Bull Terrier, which in turn made it's new breed, The American Pit Bull Terrier, which still has not been accepted as a pure breed, there for unable to be shown.
Zokugai & Scarity, the dog breed in the pictures you provided are actually referred to by the AKC as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier , which is in the game. If you want an American Pitbull Terrior, then bred the Staffordshire Terrier and the Bull Terrier.

RylandHomes - Dorian Lard
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#23 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scarity
Dogs and Cats have as much face differences (I cannot know the word I mean?) as humans
Compared to dogs or cats, humans are basically genetically homogenous.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:44 PM Last edited by insane_in_charlie_shirt : 25th Oct 2011 at 6:48 PM. Reason: To sound less bitchy
The thing is, Pit Bull is a term thrown around for any bully looking breed. And because there isn't a set standard for them there, as such, there is a great variation in the breeds looks that whatever EA had done someone would be able to pull up a picture and say 'look! it's wrong' but as it is, I guess they just wanted us all to be able to do that and went with something nothing like the actual breed.

The APBT is recognised by the UKC and so does have a standard, but I think it's a bit like labradors. There is what is most common and what is standard. With labs you're more likely to see something akin to the working style - a bit sleeker and lighter, not to big, medium sized dog. But show standard labs (In the GBKC anyways) are large, broad and not what a lot of people think of when they think Labrador.

Hell, I don't even think the Jack Russel is a real breed if you just go by recognition. The Parson Russel, yes, but not the normal Jack.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Field Researcher
#25 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 7:36 PM
[QUOTE=eskie227]...or really blood from someone it just bit? QUOTE]

Do you think anyone would let their child sit next to/on a dog that just attacked someone? It looks quite friendly really

My Simblr: Here
Page 1 of 4