Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#401 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I should see whether I could sync up the fog coloration with the sun's position.....maybe give it a strong orange hue at sunset.

Yes, that's what the colour ramps do. The colour of the sea and sky components changes by the hour. If you take a look at the first few posts in this thread, you'll see how to do this, as well as attached images of colour ramps. If you are using a lighting mod that is placed in your mods folder then that will override the skies for all worlds; whereas this thread is showing how to change fog, sky, clouds, water, shadows, sun, moon etc, hour by hour, world by world. All aspects are customizable, right from the shadow colour to the water movement to the sun colour, on an individual world basis.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#402 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 5:52 PM
You know I know literally all of this, right? Sure, of course the game does it all already, but it doesn't do it very well. So I'm going to see how much I can improve it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#403 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
You know I know literally all of this, right?

Oh okay then, but you were talking as though you didn't know this. The game doesn't use LUTs as such, so I guess you are talking about reshade or something post processing.
dodgy builder
#404 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 2:02 PM
It depends also on the selection of colors in the ramps. If you select colors close to each other, the banding will be less visible. A blur could be added in post-processing though ... or more gradients perhaps.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#405 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
A blur could be added in post-processing though ... or more gradients perhaps.

Pi likes bloom.

But you can do that with the ini files.
Test Subject
#406 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 7:47 AM
Hi. I hope this post is still active. I have a problem after I install the custom world I created. After a sims week the water color slowly changed back to the original color. I checked the ini file in S3PE and they're still there but it doesn't show the color in game. I used only 5 ini that end with sea files and it worked with both in caw and EIG. Do you have any clue what did I do wrong or how can I fix it. I tried clear the cache but it doesn't help.
dodgy builder
#407 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Pi likes bloom.

But you can do that with the ini files.

Hi! I didn't know you answered me Anyways. Blur and bloom isn't quite the same thing. Bloom is more of a glow, while blur is more to do with colors slightly blending into each other with layers of translucency overlapping eachother.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#408 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Blur and bloom isn't quite the same thing.

Yes, that's true- I was just implying that it seems Pi likes bloom.

@Scarlet Moon XXIV Do you have any lighting override mods in your game? If so, they will override your colour ramps and ini files. Also, remember that the weather type will change, so that different colour ramps will be used from time to time, depending upon your settings.
Test Subject
#409 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 6:03 AM

@Scarlet Moon XXIV Do you have any lighting override mods in your game? If so, they will override your colour ramps and ini files. Also, remember that the weather type will change, so that different colour ramps will be used from time to time, depending upon your settings.

Thanks for the reply.
No I don't have any mod about lighting. It changed to normal when I started the game again but sometime change back. So it's kinda weird. Maybe it's a glitch?
Test Subject
#410 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 6:12 AM
Glassonion - unfortunately it's a fully TS3 'feature' that strange from-the-ground lighting. And no worries about indoor lighting, I guess You Can't Always Get What You Want(if you know what I mean). How about CAS lighting? I'd love to make it look exactly like in indoors if possible.

source:https://www.clipartmax.com/middle/m...nd-sea-clipart/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#411 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Scarlet Moon XXIV
Thanks for the reply.
No I don't have any mod about lighting. It changed to normal when I started the game again but sometime change back. So it's kinda weird. Maybe it's a glitch?

Do you have colour ramps and ini files for all of the sky states?
Test Subject
#412 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 3:17 AM
Do you have colour ramps and ini files for all of the sky states?

I have only 5 ini file that all end with sea, like sky_clearsea. It turns back to the custom color after I restart the game though but I want it to be stable and mostly the color change after it rains
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#413 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 2:13 PM
Ah, so you used this method to change the water colour:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=388731

It sounds like you changed the sea colour for one sky type only, and that when the sky changes the sea changes to a different colour.

You'd either need to edit the files you have to change the colour of all sea states to the one you like, or else replace those files with some custom colour ramps as shown in this thread.

I personally like to have the sea change slightly by sky type.
Test Subject
#414 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 7:19 AM
Ah, so you used this method to change the water colour:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=388731

It sounds like you changed the sea colour for one sky type only, and that when the sky changes the sea changes to a different colour.

You'd either need to edit the files you have to change the colour of all sea states to the one you like, or else replace those files with some custom colour ramps as shown in this thread.

I personally like to have the sea change slightly by sky type.

Thank you so much. I'll try that if it happens again.
Field Researcher
#415 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 3:35 AM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 30th Jan 2019 at 12:21 PM.
I'm playing Sunset Valley and I haven't tweaked the various ini files yet. So this vanilla weather in Sunset valley looks unrealistic when there is a medium or dark overcast.
The landmasses look odd:

https://i.imgur.com/zU9VdwG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6nzbthv.jpg

Is that a setting in the atmospheric fog that is causing that? How would I go fixing it? So this is EA's default weather.

I found this highly useful wiki about the different ini, sadly some of them are bit empty.

I browsed though all the 17 pages of this thread and came across couple useful @simsample posts Unfortunately the 4shared link doesnt appear to be working. Then on another post that links to photobucket, I can't find the names of the pictures to tell me which picture has which settings.

Now going back to the first post of this page, wonder why fog distance causes water to become more transclucent. Doesn't seem logical. Wouldn't it become more opaque if there is more fog in real life, that is? :D
Test Subject
#416 Old 22nd May 2019 at 7:17 PM
In hopes someone still reads this topic, pardon me for necroing and for my numbskullness here, but any pointers on which part of this guide is applied if one is trying to edit a lightning mod file that's already been made into a separate package? I'm trying to get my head around editing one of brntwaffle's ones. The night time is far too dark for me, so I assume I need to edit the colour ramps? However, I can't seem to be able to extract any files from the lightning mod package to change the colour ramps?
Instructor
#417 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:21 AM
I would like to mention what I have learnt today: some older "Tunable Parameters Related to Sky" are missing information about "UnderSeaFog" which can be used to adjust visibility on dive lots.

If you are missing this, you can copy the lines below at the very end of the "Tunable Parameters Related to Sky" ini file and adjust the values to your liking:
[UnderSeaFog]
UnderSeaFogStartDist = 10.0
UnderSeaFogEndDist = 82.1
UnderSeaFogFalloffPower = 0.42

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Test Subject
#418 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 6:24 PM
I tried to search around for this but am coming up empty. Is anyone else having the issue where changing cloudyness through time of day tab no longer changes weather? I have the files set up in config folder properly named and the weather is just the same bright sunny but with clouds on every setting. When I go to edit in game I get the different weather sometimes but in CAW it just doesn't do anything anymore. Is it because I go to EIG frequently? Is that a known thing that messes this up in CAW? I'm not even close to the messing with lighting stage but eventually I'd like to be able to do it in CAW and not in game I value my sanity sort of.

Any insight would be much appreciated thanks!

Oh p.s. I'm using Moonlight Falls lighting if that matters. Maybe some of them have different settings? I dunno...
Lab Assistant
#419 Old 25th Jun 2023 at 12:23 AM
Thanks for posting this.
I am having some trouble, and that is figuring out what I am supposed to modify for the sky color. for a project, I want a sky box that imitates "a permanent sunset", with skys of orange and pink depending on day/night
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#420 Old 26th Jun 2023 at 11:25 PM
Hi @landon If you want a sky colour that doesn't change at all with time, then you would make the colour ramp have bars of colour which are of a solid colour, as opposed to a gradiented colour.

Here in this image you can see that the colours change from left to right, that is to say from morning to evening. So you would make your colours the same across the duration.
Lab Assistant
#421 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 1:39 AM
Hi @landon If you want a sky colour that doesn't change at all with time, then you would make the colour ramp have bars of colour which are of a solid colour, as opposed to a gradiented colour.

Here in this image you can see that the colours change from left to right, that is to say from morning to evening. So you would make your colours the same across the duration.

And this is something I've learned the hard way, I actually thought it was as simply as changing RGB, but quickly learning that is not the case ^^;

But at anyrate, I am definitely learning!
Lab Assistant
#422 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 2:10 AM Last edited by landon : 27th Jun 2023 at 2:33 AM.

I have made some progress thanks to you!

This is how it looks like at 11, and honestly, I think it is really beautiful. Though the night sky bleeds through, but this is the most progress I've made with this file!
(I do understand I wont be able to truly make an "Eternal Sunset" without adjusting the sun so it never leaves. the map, but I am not aiming for full-on perfect)

Update: I added more pics, including the patch of darkness that is still there.
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#423 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 12:29 PM
Really beautiful @landon well done! There might be some settings in the ini files that can help with the sky darkness, check out the settings in S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini (Tunable Parameters Related to Sky) and S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E4F8E7B226066CA%%+_INI.ini (Tunable Parameters Related to Lighting). If you look at the ones from the EA worlds, such as Bridgeport (see posts #2 and #3, the files are attached to post #3) then there are explanatory notes in the ini files too.
Lab Assistant
#424 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 8:43 PM
Really beautiful @landon well done! There might be some settings in the ini files that can help with the sky darkness, check out the settings in S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini (Tunable Parameters Related to Sky) and S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E4F8E7B226066CA%%+_INI.ini (Tunable Parameters Related to Lighting). If you look at the ones from the EA worlds, such as Bridgeport (see posts #2 and #3, the files are attached to post #3) then there are explanatory notes in the ini files too.

Thanks for that, I'll look into them.
Actually, what I am thinking about doing, is keeping the dome of the sky itself a bluish hue (I switched the dome itself to a dark blue, while keeping the sun and that other color the same), and if possible, changing the position of the sun, where it will move around the world horizontally, and for the dark hours, have it slightly dip below the map (but not where it would be considered nightfall). It should give sunrises/ sunsets more realism, the world will still have that eternal Sunrise/Sunset vibe, but time itself won't be "frozen", as if it is geographically positioned where an "eternal" sunrise/ sunset can be experienced. And the darkness will still have its place, even if nightfall technically never happens on the world.

I'll have to research a bit more though. I can probably get the sun itself low, but as for it rotating horizontally (aside from where it will dip), I am unsure how I will mark the coordinates, unless the sun itself can be clicked on in CAW and objects can be placed that far out.

Thank you very much!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#425 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 9:25 PM
The sun/moon position is determined by the aforementioned S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini, which states:
Quote:
;; Number of degrees off the sky's "equator" for the sun and moon. An offset of 0 would indicate
;; tracking the equator exactly. Values approaching 90 become fairly degenerate; with the sun rising and setting
;; near the same pole in the sky. A strong astronomical argument could be made that the Starfield and SUn offsets should be
;; identical, but they can be tuned separately anyway...

(From the Bridgeport ini file, attached here)
I haven't tried setting that to a negative number, perhaps you could test!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.zip (1.8 KB, 1 downloads)
Page 17 of 18